Changing my profession to vagabond

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by NoHorizons, Oct 10, 2018.

1. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, I did the same with some misrepresented wheels for my KLR and got all of my money back.
  2. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    This is a brilliant RR. The true spirit of this forum. I wish I would have seen it before today. The day you had your little "following too closely" incident, I was on my first day riding the SEAT and was probably within a few minutes of you. That day was cold and dreary in North Georgia.

Anyway, I don't know where you are now, or if you have all your demons exorcised, but I am in North Georgia and can host you while you get things sorted out. Shop and tools, but unfortunately we are renovating the house so we don't have room inside, but I have plenty of space to hang a hammock in the shop and we can work out a showering schedule. I don't know much about the KLR, but I am sure we can figure things out. Since there is always a lot of work to do around the house, maybe we can work out a little indentured servitude so you can restock your coffers.

As a fellow hammock camper, I would love to hear more about your sleeping system.
    fasttortoise, MrKiwi, td63 and 2 others like this.
  3. NoHorizons

NoHorizons Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will have to look into filing a complaint.

I managed to get a day and a half of riding in before things went bad again about half an hour outside of Savannah before things went bad again. I haven't had the heart to write it all up yet, I will try to start tonight. Long story short I need a new piston etc... I was lucky and managed to get it to a garage with a good mechanic that is letting me do the work I can do myself to minimize cost.

Thanks, I really appreciate the offer and should things change I will definitely reach out. At the moment I am planning on heading down to FL to visit my godmother and am thinking I might look for some work down there.
    MYUMPH and MrKiwi like this.
  4. NoHorizons

NoHorizons Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For warmth I use the Snugpak Cocoon with a military poncho liner as a blanket if I need it. Then a largish camping tarp if its raining. Depending on wind and such I can take it to about 45 - 40 degrees before I have to wear my motorcycle suit to bed. It packs down to fit in a bag thats about 30 liters. There is definitely stuff that will get you warmer or pack down smaller that is if you want to pay more...
    IMG_20180921_062410725.jpg
    VisionPilot and rubline like this.
  5. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    Have you tried drip lines or water breaks to prevent water wicking into your hammock?

6. NoHorizons

NoHorizons Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, I will have to try it, though usually the ends only get wet when I dont have the tarp centered.
  7. Nobody16

Nobody16 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have really been enjoying your adventure so far and admire your will to continue one, considering everything that has already happened. Hopefully your trip is still going well. I am just north of Atlanta, so let me know if you could use any help in the area.
    NoHorizons likes this.
  8. NoHorizons

NoHorizons Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Reassuring to get someone who actually knows their stuff to give it even a quick glance

Along with their amazing hospitality Aaron and Lauren gave me an old gopro that they had found while hiking which I have been playing with during my stay and will hopefully make it easier for me to get quick snapshots of things instead of pulling out the dslr. Thanks for everything!
    I am excited to get back on the road, but I am going to miss that little trailer and my new friends. Because the wheel I bought had a tire already on it I decided to carry my old one with, it’s a bit of a pain in the ass, but at least it looks kind of bad ass.

[​IMG]
    Pretty sure you get extra instagram points if strap extra tires to your bike

The weather was beautiful, and the roads had an empty, free open feeling as I headed towards the coast.

[​IMG]
    Not bad, but I need to look into some better mounting options

[​IMG]

I made it a whole day and a half. The power dropping was suddenly getting worse to downright lurching. Then a couple miles outside of Savannah the power dropped and didn’t pick up again, I coasted to a stop and tried starting it, nothing. Shit. I checked the fuel line poked around a bit but couldn’t see anything wrong. Then, I tried starting it again and it fired right up. The nearest motorcycle repair shop was about 15 miles down the road, nothing to do but hope I make it. It cut out several times on the way but always started after a short break.

I finally made it to TM Powersports and after explaining my situation Ted agreed to look at my carb, and even let me take it off so I didn’t have to pay for his time. He looked through the carb but couldn’t find anything that would explain my problem. I took it down the road to check and sure enough, the problem was still there.

[​IMG]

Time to look at the engine. Valves are OK. Compression test shows a bit low. Leak down test way high (25 – 30%). Why is it never the easy stuff and why does it have to happen the day before Thanksgiving? Thankfully I stumbled on a good shop with good people, and their sons offers me a couch to stay on while I wait for a new piston. It’s a lot of sitting around and watching tv I hate not being mobile.

We did go into Savannah for an afternoon, I kind of like it, at least from an aesthetic standpoint.

[​IMG]
    Almost looks European

[​IMG]

The piston had been replaced not too long ago, but it looks like they put the wrong one in and did a bad job at that.

A bit over a week later its ready for me to put back together.

Now if I only remembered how these wires connect.

[​IMG]
    Finally I think I got most of the wires figured out.

[​IMG]
    Time to test the engine, is it supposed to be smoking like that?

[​IMG]
    Ready for a test ride.

About half way through the 5 mile loop it starts lurching and losing power. NOOOOOoooo!!! Wait let me try turning to reserve fuel… Much better…

[​IMG]
    Seems to be in good working order thanks to these great people.

[​IMG]
    Highly recommend this place!

9 days and $750 I am starting to think I pissed off someone upstairs… Good thing I am way to stubborn to quit, but I may have to look at getting a job for a couple months maybe in Florida. For now I’ll be happy to get out of Georgia, I’ve been here way to long…
    Halen, BIG-E, fasttortoise and 10 others like this.
  9. td63

td63 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I swear you're do for some good luck!

At least you're getting to learn about the goodness of other people, and that's gotta be worth something.
    NoHorizons and MrKiwi like this.
  10. Nobody16

Nobody16 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any updates? Was hoping to see some smooth sailing for you after how the first month went.
  11. NoHorizons

NoHorizons Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will do a writeup with photos soon, but in a nutshell, I made it to Orlando where I am staying with my godmother. After going through the carb once more and replacing the choke cable and changing the vent tube it is finally running well again. Other than that there has been a lot of procrastinating as to what route the future holds.
    Tomorrow I will fly back to NY for a couple weeks and spend Christmas with the family. All in all there just hasnt been much to report.
    ClutchDumpinDan, MYUMPH and MrKiwi like this.
  12. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to hear you have gotten the bike sorted out, and are doing ok. Look forward to more reports from your journey in the future.
    NoHorizons likes this.
  13. NoHorizons

NoHorizons Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess its time to start writing again, but I guess after writing about the last few challenges it took a while for me to want to continue…

[​IMG]
    Finally moving again and the weather is beautiful, sunshine and blue skies. The roads tend on the boring side straight and open nice at first but then a bit boring, a bit of adventure would be great right about now.

When I see what looks like a nice dirt road heading parallel to me on the map I jump at the opportunity. It is everything I could have ever wanted shaded, winding, beautiful hard packed dirt, for a full five minuets I am pretty sure there was a massive grin on my face. Then I hit sand, the deep, soft and rutted type. Oh Shit. How the hell do people keep their motorcycle upright in this stuff??? I nearly went over but, at the last second I managed to yank it up and hit the throttle. Ok, after a minuet or so with liberal use of the throttle I seem to be getting the hang of it, the only issue with so much throttle is that it makes me go rather fast… After a couple of miles the road goes down into a dip where the sand was all wet, and I thought dry sand was wonky. I’m not entirely sure how far it was but I made it back to pavement without dropping the bike and pried my clenched fingers off the handlebars.

[​IMG]
    On solid ground again.

I found a beach that allowed camping, I should really look into a small pad for when I cant find someplace to hang my hammock…

[​IMG]
    At least the stars were pretty, I will have to do some more night photography, maybe when I’m not using my tripod to hold up my tarp.

[​IMG]
    Letting things dry a bit in the morning.

I stopped in St. Augustine for lunch, a very pretty city.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Might be worth coming back and exploring on foot if I get the chance.

[​IMG]
    Reminds me of a painter whose name I cant remember, one of the illusionists I think. Also, the Doctor Strange movie.

After lunch I went down the coast on A1A before cutting in Orlando where I would be staying with my Godmother for a while.

[​IMG]
    A beautiful place for a quick nap!

I stayed a while with my godmother and her family which gave me chance to do a few more repairs and upgrades; new crashbars, some aux lights and new heated grips.

[​IMG]
    The old crashbars did me well but after the accident they vibrated pretty badly

[​IMG]
    I decided to give zip ties a break and use a clothes hanger instead.

[​IMG]
    Not exactly an elegant solution but it does the trick.
  14. NoHorizons

NoHorizons Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hadn’t originally planned to go home to NY for the holidays but, when I found a flight for a hundred bucks round trip I figured why not.

On the flight up the moon was setting as we were supposed to be boarding, to the annoyance of the attendant that wanted everyone in line I managed to get a few pictures…

[​IMG]
    Refueling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Not sure what the pilot is doing here, maybe there was some dirt on the engine?

Yay!!! Wet, cold and dark…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Having Second thoughts about coming back.

[​IMG]
    Makes for pretty pictures though.

We always celebrated Christmas in the traditional German way where the tree comes on Christmas Eve and uses real candles; maybe its just the childhood memories but lights cant compete…

[​IMG]
    And yes its safe if done carefully on a proper tree.

Ok holidays are done, its time to get back to my bike.
  15. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    My Facebook profile shows me as a "loitering vagabond wandering about". I can think of no finer undertaking.

I did my time and paid my taxes in the rat race. I'm a free man.
    NoHorizons and MrKiwi like this.
  16. NoHorizons

NoHorizons Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tip my helmet to you.
    I wish I could say I was done with the race for good, I just jumped the fence and am going as far as I can before it catches up with me.
    RedDogAlberta likes this.
  17. NoHorizons

NoHorizons Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Reunited at last! I really missed this old blue thumper. Maybe some time apart was good for me I was starting to get annoyed and grumpy with all the mechanical issues, now I just want to ride again.

A day after I get back to FL I’m ready to do just that.

[​IMG]
    Loaded and Ready to roll.

[​IMG]

Heading Down FL A1A not many curves but I’m still enjoying the nice weather and ocean views.

[​IMG]
    A good place to eat your lunch.

It was getting late faster than I realized and I was tired so when I came across a nice campground I payed them the $20 knowing I’d kick myself for it in the morning.

[​IMG]
    It was pretty though

[​IMG]

There is something truly magical about watching the stars from a gently rocking hammock.

[​IMG]
    It is getting a bit chilly I should have put on some layers.

[​IMG]
    I am surprised how well the gopro does with star photos, not quite what the DSLR can do but I didnt feel like setting that up.

The next morning I noticed I was missing the cotter pin on my front wheel, finally a fix I actually can afford, $2.50 at the auto parts store and I’m back in business.

[​IMG]
    Now I have 11 extra cotter pins I will end up carrying for the rest of the trip…

The last couple hours to Miami sucked big time, crappy road, crappy drivers and crappy weather but, I made it to my hostel by mid afternoon and felt much better after a cold beer.
  18. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    Its like looking back at my own riding trip career... I have to say, with the troubles you have had so far you've handled them very well! Just remember, it's not an adventure if it all goes smoothly!
    Riding an older bike can be a challenge if you don't know it inside and out. Sounds like you are getting to know your bike quite well .
    Enjoy the ride, keep diligent on the maintenance, and keep on sharing the great stories and creating awesome memories!
    NoHorizons likes this.
  19. NoHorizons

NoHorizons Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After getting to Miami and checking into the hostel I spent the next hour looking for a garage that would let me park my motorcycle for the night. None of public ones will and most of the private ones also wont, finally I found one a good 5 min walk from the hostel and costing nearly as much but, it was either take it or park outside which I wasn’t quite comfortable with.

[​IMG]
    Walking down Ocean drive

I happened to be in Miami on MLK day weekend and there was some kind of Art Deco walk going on the main beach drag. Lots of vendors selling art, food and drink.

[​IMG]
    Lots of delicious restaurants with outdoor seating, expensive menus and pretty women that would stand on the sidewalk trying get you to come inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Walking down the street there would be crowds of people outside the clubs watching the dancers in the entry.

[​IMG]
    I was reminded again that the club scene really isnt for me.

[​IMG]
  20. NoHorizons

NoHorizons Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The next day I went to the Wynwood art district.

[​IMG]
    Nearly all the walls are covered in Murals.

[​IMG]
    The main area is flooded with tourists taking photos of the walls.

[​IMG]
    And themselves.

[​IMG]
    In the surrounding areas you have a little more room to breathe.

[​IMG]
    Love the vibrant colors and intricate detail all done with a spray can.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Incredible how art can take a dead industrial district and turn it into a thriving hub.

[​IMG]
    Its a shame that the artists that created it can no longer afford it.

[​IMG]
    Makes me want to learn to use spray paint.