Changing my profession to vagabond

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by NoHorizons, Oct 10, 2018.

1. NoHorizons

NoHorizons Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In my wanderings of Wynwood I came across a new motorcycle coffee shop I spent some time talking to the guy running it and he showed me around back to see some of the projects they were working on.

[​IMG]
    Why have one when you could have three.

[​IMG]
    On the left is an original Vespa, on the right the smallest Ferrari I’ve ever seen.

[​IMG]
    Made to transport factory workers.

[​IMG]

I quite enjoyed parts of Miami, I love the multicultural vibrance it has. Not such a big fan of paying $5.00 for a cup of coffee.
  2. NoHorizons

NoHorizons Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had considered going down the keys and checking out the everglades but, after looking at the prices I decided there were better ways to spend $50+ then on a campground. So, instead I went back north. The wind was brutal on the coast and not all that much better inland which made the fatigue come fast and the miles slow. I would occasionally jump over to the gravel farm roads that run parallel to the highway for a change of pace.

[​IMG]
    Other than the wind it was a perfectly beautiful day

[​IMG]

Just as the sun was setting, I pulled into Allapattah Flats where I had reserved a free campsite.

[​IMG]
    This is perfection

[​IMG]
    Hopefully I will get to the campsite before last light.

[​IMG]
    It would help if I was on the right road.

Naturally I went 3 miles down the road before it dead ended with no sign of a campsite anywhere. After a couple minutes of confusion, I checked the satellite maps and figured out I was on the wrong access road.

By the time I had ridden back to the main road and it was completely dark. Then, going down the proper access road I had to dodge cows and their droppings, thanks to the lights I had just installed I didn’t make splats of any kind.

When I go to the campsite, I was the only one there.

[​IMG]
    7 or 8 fire pits with plenty of room to camp.

The next day I got to Orlando where I stayed a couple of days with my godmother before heading north.

While there I noticed I was below low on oil despite having changed it less than 1k ago, I hoped it had something to do with the oil I put in or maybe a leak I hadn’t noticed. I changed the oil again, wiped down the engine and watched it for a day no leaks.

When I finally left Orlando the wind had died down and was replaced by some seriously menacing clouds.

[​IMG]
    The clouds seemed to hold off and I spent the day exploring Ocala National Forest.

[​IMG]
    Dodging sand pits.

I was headed to my campsite when I noticed a grinding noise, especially loud when I went over potholes. I pulled to the side and found the issue; the bracket holding my chain guard on had fallen off.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And then it started to rain.

I got down and pulled it off I will have to find someone to weld it at some point. Somehow the combination of being on the side of the road with my tool kit out makes me a prime target for rain. Figures it rains 5 minutes and a quarter mile away from the campsite.

I set up my camp in the rain and hunker down.

[​IMG]
    CtMac, SoggyDonkey, MrKiwi and 2 others like this.
  3. NoHorizons

NoHorizons Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In the morning packing out took twice as long as normal, I hate having wet gear. I strapped my chain guard to the back and went on my way.

[​IMG]

I’m not sure what to call the water that day, it was a heavy mist that seemed to defy gravity and simply hang in the air around me, quickly covering my visor in fine droplets on the outside and fog on the inside… not the best for visibility.

[​IMG]
    Not quite fine enough for fog but too fine for rain

[​IMG]
    Lots of water

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Cedar Key

In the early afternoon I found a campsite by Cedar Key for $5 a night and went into town for something to eat. I did a bit of exploring in Cedar Key, it seems alright, a bit of an artsy town for old rich tourists.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    One of those grayscale days where someone pulled the saturation down.

I went back to my campsite and worked on editing some photos.

[​IMG]
    I wish my screen was a little brighter but, I’ll squint a bit for an office with this view.

The next day I made my west through forests / swamps, I hugged the coast as much as possible and as I came through Tates Hell State Park I started noticing more and more debris and destruction from Hurricane Michael.

[​IMG]
    Because having a Supper Bowl Champion living in your county merits its own sign.

As it got dark, I found a wildlife environmental area with a lookout tower that looked like it hadn’t been touched since before the hurricane.

[​IMG]
    Covered in reeds and trash

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Almost strung my hammock between the beams on the top of the tower.

[​IMG]
    But having a roof won out in the end.

I was really glad for that mosquito net. If I stood still
    for more than a moment I was attacked by 20 of them, I heard them swarming around me all night long.

I only saw the no camping sign in the morning, not that it would have changed anything.

In the morning I made it a full half an hour down the road before coming to a little town called Apalachicola where I found a coffee shop to do some work on the blog. Despite sitting their for over 3hrs I didn’t get much done, I did talk to a lot of people and by evening I had made plans to work on a nearby farm for a couple days.
    MYUMPH, Saso, mrfishingrod and 2 others like this.