Changing the front sprocket and chain breakers

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by Mouse, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Killer Whale KTM

Killer Whale KTM Life is the adventure!

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys,
    I hate to drag out this post..........but......I understand the need to cut (or whatever) the chain to replace it, however why do you need to ,in order to replace the sprocket ??? I loosened my rear axle and slid forward. This created enough slack to easily change the front sprocket. It was a long time ago ,but I think it only took an hour or so including cleaning and other maintenance. Has anyone else done it this way ??
    Hope this helps
    Killer Whale KTM
  2. KTMlvr

KTMlvr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Motion Pro have good tools and at reasonable prices, considering if you had to go to your dealer each time you wanted work on your final drive etc.. I know its not a daily occurence but tools are like art, we collect, and this one will happen to last a lifetime

http://www.motionpro.com/Docs/chaintools.html

Cheers
  3. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    I think that was the original question mate. Without cutting chain you're left with having to remove the clutch slave cylinder to create enough room slide the chain and sprocket off.
    I'm going from memory, but I don't think there's enough room to partially slide the chain and sprocket off enough to clear the metal guard, lift the chain off of the sprocket, then completely remove the sprocket, before you get to the slave cylinder.
  4. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jeez, guys... whatever happened to undoing things until it was all apart and bolting it back up until there were no more bits on the floor? :huh

I remember yanking the clutch cyl -- just as Ant said. It just come off, no drama, no problem. I remember loosening the rear axle and adjusters to give me some room, and was gonna have to adjust anyway. I think I remember some guides and crap in there that got in the way, so I dealt with it, somehow. Chain and sprkt come off together, go on together -- boy, those are some nice close tolerances on those splines, btw.

BigMac, I know replacing chain and sprockets as a set is The Right Thing To Do, but I'm not sure how much difference it makes in the Real World. I'm well within spec at 10k miles, and pretty sure it won't make it to 20k. That's ok. So, whether you are gonna act like a beemer geek or think Big Mac is a Big Pain in the ass is up to you. But he's still the guy to buy a used bike from. :wink:
  5. ktmMike

ktmMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    The easy way is to forget about the 16T sprocket. A 16/42 (2.625) is close enough to the same ratio as a 17/45 (2.647). Leave 17T in front. Change rear to 45T. On many bikes you would have to lengthen the chain, BUT NOT ON THE KTM 950. Just flip the adjustment blocks over. Mike
  6. Stephen

Oddometer:
    Not only easy, likely a better solution.

I think the reason I didn't go this route back when was unavailability of the 45. Or lack of brains. Or something.

I'm considering going 16/45 when it's time for a new chain. With the 16/42, my 950 idles in first at 7 mph.
  7. eug_rider

eug_rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Loosened chain by removing the rear wheel, pulled the slave and worked the 17t CS off. As stated there is no bleeding (clutch or otherwise) involved in this method. The bike had about 600 miles when I changed the CS, no apparent wear issues at 4k.

[​IMG]
  8. BLUE(UK)

BLUE(UK) Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is some fannying about i tells ya all!!:D

I aint done this but my 450exc is the same sort of thing and i just whipped off the bolts and parts and reassembled as was required!!
  9. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    Thanks all, its winter/summer depending upon your tilt and everyone seems to be quiet so a good technical debate seems better than comparing a GS to the beast. (and to those asking go ride both and you'll have your own answer...)

Not that I bothered to check but I figured a 16T is cheaper than a 45T so that made my choice easier given I just wanted to check out the difference....

And yes, Bigmac sounds like the man to buy a second hand bike from :evil , its reaasuring to know someone listens to the manufacturers.

I'm of the opinion that anyone who got the 17T off without breaking the chain or removing the slave must be a magician and we should all bow to them and their ability to achieve the impossible. :eek1 I'm always interested in learning new skills so if anyone who has done it can replicate it for me in person I will bestow many gifts upon them... :wink:
  10. Stephen

Oddometer:
  11. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    :rofl Funny you brought that up. I just swaped the scorps. for some nobs. You would have laughed your ass off watch'n me wrassle that rear tire all day.:lol3
  12. RAGrote

RAGrote Fishin w PICO

Oddometer:
    Pulled the slave. Swish, bam, boom..... no bleeding, no leaking.

I used a little plastic "c" clamp to hold the cylinder in the slave while I swapped sprocket.
  13. ram1000

ram1000 Long timer

Oddometer:

OK I have a 45 tooth sprocket coming. Hope my links are the same umber as yours. I like the idea of not adding links. Bike has 2100 miles so nothing else will be changed.
  14. dirtyboy

dirtyboy Adrenaline junkie

Oddometer:
    Another consideration...

Changing from a 17 to 16 will move your wheel back, thus increasing wheelbase.

The 42 to 45 will move your wheel forward, decreasing the wheelbase.

...assuming no change in chain length...

Pick your poison. :evil
  15. ram1000

ram1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is precisely my motivation. I could have bought a front sprocket for half, but would like to shorten my wheel base. These things are way too long in my opinion. They will wheelie easier with less wheel base and I will never travel whoops hard enough to need additional swing arm travel afforded by longer wheel base. 61 1/2 to 62 inches is not needed for my purposes. When I used to race mototcross bikes were 57-58 inch wheel base. I want quick steering for offroad use and don't feel that I'm giving anything up losing an inch or so. I ride a 650 dualsport for single track riding and may go with a 450 next time.
  16. Hawk

Hawk Pretentious Fukwit!!

Oddometer:
    Is the nut that holds the counter sproket on LEFT hand thread by any chance?

I am a pretty strong guy, and while using a 14 inch cresent wrench I was unable to budge this nut. :huh I am going to buy a 30mm socket tomorrow and try again.
  17. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    not to my recollection but then i don't remember a 30mm socket either!
  18. Hawk

Oddometer:

Gonna try a socket tomorrow. That SOB ain't coming off with a wrench and again I am not a little guy that is why I asked if it was left hand thread.
  19. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    what I meant was I don't recollect it being 30mm - for some reason I think its 32mm.

Mine undid easily, rear wheel on the ground, chain still on, bike in gear.
  20. Hawk

Oddometer:
    Well I used my calipers to determine that it was a 30mm nut so I could buy the socket today. Now you have me questioning my sanity.