Charging a KTM Freeride with a generator.

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by PA Slammer, Feb 13, 2020.

1. PA Slammer

PA Slammer I hate titles...

Oddometer:
    Hope this hasn't been covered before. I looked around and didn't see much...

Local dealer has a bunch of the KTM Freeride E-XC bikes in. I have a Honda EU2000i Companion 30A generator. Can I buy another EU2000i or EU2200i, run them in parallel to charge the Freeride at camp?

Paralleled Generators
    Two EU2000i generators in parallel
    Rated Power
    3,200 watts
    26.7 Amps
    Maximum Power
    4,000 watts
    33.3 Amps

Two EU2200i generators in parallel
    Rated Power
    3,600 watts
    30.0 Amps
    Maximum Power
    4,400 watts
    36.7 Amps

One EU2200i generator and one EU2000i generator in parallel
    Rated Power
    3,400 watts
    28.3 Amps
    Maximum Power
    4,200 watts
    35.0 Amps
  2. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Have an e-ride that we charge primarily with solar, and one thing you might be taking into account is the charger is 240 single phase.
  3. mminob

mminob MotoHolic

Oddometer:
    Man, the new E Freeride seems like a super fun trail bike to blast around on ... nicely done KTM :thumb

ktm_2018-e1530615425117.png
  4. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    It's alright. Not a replacement for a real dirtbike. More of a beginner/playbike, and the range sucks.
  5. ultrarnr

ultrarnr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whether or not you can charge with a generator depends on the bike charger. If the KTM has something like Zero, which is like a computer power cord I think you could. If it is a J1772 like Energica then you won't. The issue is over what is called a floating neutral. I have a 2K invertor generator by Yamaha and it won't charge my Eva or my Model 3. I ended up getting a generator that requires a grounding rod driven in the ground for proper grounding. This works on both the Eva and the Model 3. Probably the best thing is take your generator to the dealer and see if they will let you plug the bike into it to see if it will charge.
  6. woodsrider-boyd

woodsrider-boyd Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer:
    That's what I'd do, unless you get confirmation directly from a Freeride owner one way or the other.

My Alta MXR charges off my B&S Q6500 110/240 generator no problem with both the normal 110 charger and the 240 quick charger. I bought the Q6500 specifically because it has the 240 output and its relatively quiet. This setup allows for 1.5 hr charge from empty to full with the quick charger, perfect for riding weekends.

Please keep us posted what you learn, thanks. -Ed
  7. PA Slammer

Oddometer:
    Right now I only have one Honda generator. I’d have to buy a second to run it in parallel. The single works fine for trailer camping at the trails we ride. Not sure I’d be inclined on buying a second just for a test.

I’ll keep checking and asking around.

Thanks for all the replies thus far.
  8. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    That's not going to work. Putting two 2000W generators in parallel isn't going to give you 240, you need a generator that puts out 240 single phase.
  9. PA Slammer

Oddometer:
    Why’s that?
  10. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need an AC output that is sinusoidal 60 Hz (either genuine or digital simulation). Two different generators will likely have slightly different frequencies and they won't be in sync. The only way to make that happen is for them to communicate with each other and sync up or have a master/slave relationship where one drives the other. Never seen that on generators.

You can parallel DC battery chargers (if they're isolated, some are not) because there are no output waveforms involved requiring matched shape and frequency.
    colddog likes this.
  11. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    These Hondas do exactly that and can provide twice the current with two in parallel... it's a shame they don't have a provision to instead of doubling the current (parallel operation) to double the voltage (series operation)... oh well :dunno

https://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/generator-parallel-capability
  12. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Exactly. We've got a bunch of generators out at our ranch, it's off-grid, and none of the little ones are capable of parallel syncing to put out 240, and it's a big waste of fuel to run one of our larger generators just to charge the freeride. So what we ended up using two outback inverters that are capable of putting out 240. Those are connected to a small solar array that's not big enough to power the freeride charger, but we're able to supplement that with generator power. In this case, it's one 3000w generator that puts out 120V, and the inverters turn that into 240. Works great, but is a really complicated and expensive solution would never recommend - just a temporary power source while we put together a better system.
    chainslap and wheresbaoskee like this.