Charlottesville Riders...where are ya?

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by gasgaseffinfast, Sep 24, 2008.

1. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    What that Duc you got?
  2. s_ruffner

s_ruffner Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    2012 MTS1200S, full termi + ohlins mechatronic.

I'm still in love with this bike, but it does suffer a little from swiss-army-knife syndrome. I really need something lighter for the "jeep trails" in the NF. I've been able to take the multi some fairly hairy places with even just something like 80/20 "ADV" tires, the enduro mode on the engine and suspension still amazes me, but there just isn't enough ground clearance, and those cast rims are just not the right tool. I keep looking at DR650s. I did see a K1300GT for sale on CL that was tempting for a long-distance sport-touring device, and I think the duo-lever front end would be vastly preferable to the nosedive the MTS has.

Anyway, right now I don't get enough saddle time to justify making the change, and the Multi still gives me the giggles. I've got Pirelli Angel GTs on it right now, but I'll burn those up by mid-summer, and I'm going to try the new Conti TA3s (I loved the TA2s, but the bike vaporized the rear in 3800 miles), and that may improve the dirt-road worthiness sufficiently to ease the itch for the DR. Of course, if the right DR fell in front of me, I might just snap it up anyway...trying to figure out how upset my wife would be.

I needed to do a handful of maintenance items, so I tore the bike down in mid-November, making it unrideable, and have been puttering along with that, and fitting out the garage-mahal, thus guaranteeing lovely mid-winter riding weather for everyone else! Enjoy!
  3. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Riding that thing off pavement? I took my babystrada (620) on gravel a couple of times, yeah it can do it, sorta, but it's nothing like a dirt bike.

Before buying a DR, bum a ride on a dirt bike based dualsport*. If your M/S gives you the giggles on gravel, a dirt bike will send you into hysterics.

*you could try my 450 Husaberg sometime.
    hppyfngy likes this.
  4. s_ruffner

Oddometer:
    Oh, for sure, I know it's nothing like a dirt bike, but what I'm doing on dirt is mostly connecting nice bits of pavement - so I'm usually on fire roads. As long as it's reasonably maintained, I can get through. I'm not doing single track. For example, Camp Run Rd (WV-31) to get over to Criders.

I might take you up on that.

I've ridden a KLR a few places, including abandoned/unmaintained dirt, bordering on single-track, and while it was better than the Multi, it was much harder than the DRZ400 my buddy was on. Of course, nothing like the CR250 I've had some time on. My issue with the smaller bikes is that I do want to be able to put some real luggage on it (I've got a set of HT bags I've kept from my Vstrom for this), and travel a bit. I've given some thought to the XR650L with a bigger tank. I'm not really looking for an honest-to-goodness trail/dirt bike, just something I can pick through gnarly (read: washed out) roads on. The KLR was good enough, but not enough ground clearance, and ran out of go for spirited riding on pavement. The DRZ was...uncomfortable on the road, and that nothing to do with ergos - lack of power, and a much too soft/bouncy/twisty suspension.
  5. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just an FYI...
    I'm going to put my XRL up for sale soon. It has around 2,000 miles on an entire rebuild/refresh. The engine was gone thru and modified by inmate mcma111(the XRL whisperer :D) out in San Francisco.

PM me if you'd like more info.
    s_ruffner likes this.
  6. s_ruffner

Oddometer:
    On a slightly different note: Has anybody here run Fan Mountain -> Appleberry Mountain Trail -> Barbershop Hill Rd -> Bungletown Rd between Alberene and Covesville?
  7. Kapponification

Kapponification Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello,

I'm in Charlottesville and looking for a buddy or more to ride some dual sport. What are the chances to get organized and go out riding in this crazy time? Anyone interested?
  8. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to see your post go unanswered.

When things settle down a bit we can give it a go.

What are you riding and will it do 60 on gravel (humor)?
  9. hppyfngy

hppyfngy not dead yet

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  10. hppyfngy

hppyfngy not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Hey SRG, I got bored over the pandemic and got this. PAS with throttle up to about 25mph. Bafang 750 with 48v, 14ah battery. It's pretty fun with those fat tires. I won't race you. :D

20200331_162453.jpg
  11. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    HFG - That bike looks like fun, useful too with the rack. Panniers &/or milk crate coming? A Thudbuster seat post maybe? How many speeds? The rims look like they are made for tubeless?

Find a steep hill - I bet you can break 30.
  12. hppyfngy

hppyfngy not dead yet

Oddometer:
    7 speed Acera derailleur with a wide cog range and 5 PAS levels. No problem doing 30.
    I'm still looking at luggage!
    Might do a suspension post, but honestly those fatboy tires make a cushy ride, and I find myself standing more than not anyway. Decent suspension on the front for a skinny guy. Damper and lockout. I hear people talk about going tubeless. Dunno for sure.
    It's sure no rocket, but good fun.
  13. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail A grin without a cat

Oddometer:
    Sorry I'm late to this. Everything has been a little crazy. I could be down for a ride at some point, just probably not this weekend unfortunately. Glad to have another person in Cville that rides 0/
    Kapponification likes this.
  14. tpchuckles

tpchuckles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone!
    I moved to Afton this past fall (going to UVA for grad school, shooting for a PhD in mechanical engineering), bought a bike, and have since been enjoying whatever I can find by way of fire roads and trails in the blue ridge mountains (well, until quarantine shut us all down). i'd love to meet some other folks in the area, and maybe tag along on some group rides if you'll have me (once we're all allowed back out and mingling of course?). I originally found the Fredericksburg group and they pointed me over this way for something a bit more local.

My bike is a husky svartpilen 401, seen in my photo next to a handsome rottie mix. it's not full-blown dual-sport territory, but it's definitely held its own on anything i've thrown it at so far.

Cheers,
    tp
    s_ruffner and Jack90210 like this.
  15. tpchuckles

Oddometer:
    count me in!
    Kapponification likes this.
  16. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not so sure about (fast) gravel or jeep trail on your Husky - I could be wrong.

I do know your bike would be a blast on 56 between Vesuvis and 151.

We can do that too.
    s_ruffner and Jack90210 like this.
  17. tpchuckles

Oddometer:
    where ya thinking exactly? i teetered my way down the upper bit of Shoe Creek Trail (and back up it when i got to the end) alright. I'll do 20-30mph on gravel fine (depending on curvature) (not sure if you define that as "fast". i got my motorcycle license this past fall so i'm sure i have plenty to learn).

oh yeah, 56 is a blast. I quite enjoy (or did, until they shut it down) the 250 BLP 56 151 loop.
  18. Jack90210

Jack90210 quia ego nominor leo

Oddometer:
    Is the Blue Ridge Parkway closed?
    tpchuckles likes this.
  19. tpchuckles

Oddometer:
  20. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shoe Creek used to be a good Jeep trail type road until it was closed a couple of years ago. It got much rougher and rockier past the gate that turned you around. There is another Jeep trail between FR42/Coal Rd. and MM23.5 on the parkway, it's rough, rocky and steep in parts. Coal road is easy gravel, but it's been paved in spots and there are speed limit signs that weren't there before. There is a more interesting gravel road off 56 (below Montebello) that will take you back to the Parkway. Another nice one off 56 at the top near the Parkway back to Vesuivus. Other gravel roads are around, near Batesville, Jarmans Gap (dead end) just east of Crozet, between White Hall and Free Union. Some rougher trails up near Madison.

For dualsport rides I'm on a Husaberg 450. It's quick on gravel (twisty pavement too) and, yes 60 happens.
    s_ruffner and tpchuckles like this.