Charlottesville Riders...where are ya?

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by gasgaseffinfast, Sep 24, 2008.

1. tpchuckles

tpchuckles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    haha! thanks. we went up.

we did see the official shortcut (signed "alternate" which bypasses a couple switchbacks?) which we didn't take, and another couple places that looked like shortcuts but with big mounds of dirt that looked like maybe he parks service was trying to discourage folks from taking, so we avoided those too.
    ClutchDumpinDan likes this.
  2. ClutchDumpinDan

ClutchDumpinDan Go do

Oddometer:
    I was told of the alternate route on the way up with the huge boulders when I first went there. Been there a few times and totally forgot about that. Now I’ve got reason to go back. Wanna come with? :evil
    Wahoo_Limp likes this.
  3. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bring the Beta back and I'll think about it.

If you look at Google Maps, find the jeep trail 162, zoom in and follow it up, you can see the unlabled shortcts going straight up the hill. There are also labeled deadend offshoots, 162A & 162B nearer the top.
  4. ClutchDumpinDan

ClutchDumpinDan Go do

Oddometer:
    Are they that good? Now I’m excited :lol3

I’ve been down a couple of the dead end off shoots near the top. They were flat and uneventful.
  5. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    CDD - you are right, the dead ends are flat.

If you see the "shortcuts" on GM, I think it was the second one (right turn off main trail) if you start from the bottom.

But we got on it (by accident) further up/we were going down. It was very steep w/ large rocks. Think the Ertzberg rock section, but going down (instead of across) a 2ish track wide trail/boulder field. Vetical 2'-3' drops betwen big/round stones. There is no way we could have gone back up.

I was joking about the Beta, I wouldn't ride down that section by choice on any bike, going up would be a major bitch on foot.

You have been warned.

Post pics.
  6. ClutchDumpinDan

ClutchDumpinDan Go do

Oddometer:
    Not gonna lie...

I’m kinda excited :D

Will post pics and video.
    2 spoke likes this.
  7. Wahoo_Limp

Wahoo_Limp In over my head

Oddometer:
  8. hppyfngy

hppyfngy not dead yet

Oddometer:
    @SRG @OldnoGPS , I added a few bits and bobs to the Rad Rover. Bar end mirror, phone mount, and cheap but very effective bags. Still digging it.
    :ricky

20200527_145001.jpg
    OldnoGPS likes this.
  9. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    HFG - I was looking at that very bag set not long ago - are they heavy dutyish or more lightweight? Phone mount and mirror (is that a "Mirrorcycle" one or something else?) are good to have. Is that the only/best place for the "water" bottle? I put one on the bars of my Cannondale/BBSHD bike cause there wasen't any room left elsewhere. Your curvy bars might not work for that.

How is your range working out? What assist level is your "go to" one?

The Radwagon4 has been ordered, with front rack and floorboards. Already read about an aftermarket controler that bumps up the power. Works for other Rad bikes too ... Bolton controller.

I'll post pics when it shows up, but it's going to be a few weeks.
    hppyfngy likes this.
  10. OldnoGPS

OldnoGPS Just a sightseer

Oddometer:
    What SRG said. Give us the skinny on range, etc.
    hppyfngy likes this.
  11. hppyfngy

hppyfngy not dead yet

Oddometer:
    It is a Mirrcycle mirror. It's really good. I started to use some old RAM mount stuff for a phone holder, but needed something new to fit my big ass phone. For like $20, I just got a Roam holder and it's also really good.
    I tried an Ibera pack, but the stock rack on the Rover didn't take the clips, so I got that ROS one. It's really quite well made and although it's velcro strap mounted, it secures nicely. I like it a lot too. I don't take it off.

Under the frame is the only place they provide bottle cage bolts on the Rover. It actually works fine for me, but you'll have lots of options on the Wagon.

SRG, give it a minute to get there before you do substantial upgrades... :D Bolton sells lots of $$$ goodies for them. I doubt I'll upgrade mine. It's good.

I haven't begun to push the range on it. Can't really ride too far around here without getting on tight two-lanes, although I've been venturing out more and more. 5-6 miles doesn't move the needle on the battery. Could easily do that 5 days without having to charge, but I typically charge after three rides.
    I think the farthest I've been so far in one ride has been 8 miles, but I haven't taken it out of town, really.
    I keep the tire pressure at 15, front and rear. The fat tires go nicely over bumps and shit like that. I'm sure it affects my range, but I'm not pushing it.

It's a 7 speed and I probably have it in 5th more than any other gear, unless I'm climbing. PAS 2, usually, but 3 on uphills, and an occasional 4 when I'm trying to get up with traffic. I slipped it into 5 today for probably the first time since the first week, and it goes.

SRG, your RadWagon will have smaller wheels/tires, so it should be nice and torquey. Range will probably be different. I'll be interested to see what you think about it.

:beer
  12. tpchuckles

Oddometer:
    What exactly is the legality of going on SNP fire roads? I went up Jarman's Gap Road today, and the last quarter mile of it or so meeting up with the BLP is a park-owned fire road, with a gate across it but room to bypass, and a sign that just informs you you're entering the national park, and that bicycles are not allowed. I also encountered two park rangers who wished me a pleasant morning.
  13. ClutchDumpinDan

ClutchDumpinDan Go do

Oddometer:
    Don’t even think about it. SNP is federal property. Tickets (including speeding) are a federal violation and they do not take kindly to rule breakers. Especially for stupid stuff like riding around a gate. Same goes for the BRP, federal land and tickets.
    s_ruffner likes this.
  14. tpchuckles

Oddometer:
    good to know. i was just a bit surprised by the limited signage (and the kind ranger folks)
  15. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dan's right. Don't go around the gates.

Once apon a time - 2 of us were in Grottes (on the other side) and a map showed a road going up to the Skyline Drive. When we got to the park's border, there was a gate. We went around. Within a mile I come around a bend and there is a ranger in his truck parked just up the road. Could have turned around and split, but didn't. We just rode on up to him figuring we were screwed. Thankfully, he was a nice guy and just gave us a bit of a lecture and sent us back the way we came - but no ticket.

There are no legal crossings of the Skyline Drive between Afton and Rt.33.

We did get to Skyline Drive once from this side - but that's another story.
    s_ruffner and tpchuckles like this.
  16. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    About five years ago I was riding up Bentonville/Browntown road towards Browntown. A Park ranger was coming towards me. As we passed he slammed on his brakes, literally sliding into the ditch! He was on a mission to come after me, for what, who knows. I thought to myself, I'm getting the fuck away from this idiot!
    I ramped up my speed and didn't see him again. When I got on Browntown Road two County Sheriffs were coming towards me. They both slammed on their brakes and were turning around! I was thinking WTF is going on...They, and the ranger...and another ranger caught up to me a couple miles up the road. I pulled into a friends driveway hoping he was home, to be a witness for whatever was about to go down. Unfortunately he wasn't home.
    Turns out, some bikes went past a gate on Lands Run fire road(north end of the drive) an hour or two earlier. They thought I might have been one of those guys. I told one of the Sheriffs those guys are probably 100 miles away by now and I could prove I wasn't anywhere near there. I showed him my GPS track.
    After that they let me go. But they were hell bent for leather to pull me over!

The NPS penalty for riding a bicycle on trails is a huge fine and bicycle confiscation. I'd imagine it's a similar penalty for motorcycles. I don't want to find out.
  17. tpchuckles

Oddometer:
    crossings, or access? (eg, looking at a map i'm seeing black rock gap road, Brown's gap road / turnpike, Simmons gap road, smith roach gap fire road ; safe to assume these will all have gates across?)
  18. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Either

Yes, gates
    tpchuckles likes this.
  19. ClutchDumpinDan

ClutchDumpinDan Go do

Oddometer:
    @tpchuckles I spent a bunch of time thinking the same thoughts you’re thinking :lol3. Looked at all the maps and read all the rules. Save yourself a lot of trouble and ride elsewhere. :D
  20. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    There used to be a lot of families who lived on that Mountain before the park was created. Plus, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. That's why there are typically roads crossing each saddle in the mountain range.

Some maps depict all man made improvements that are still in existence, roads included(quad maps). Even some improvements that are no longer in existence. It doesn't mean every road depicted is still in use or open to the pubic. Unless it's a National Forest map, they won't show gates(gated roads).
    I remember this one kayaker acquaintance of mine years ago who bitched about the Virginia Gazetteer map because he kept finding himself driving up peoples driveways. He assumed all the squiggly lines on the map were public roads. Hello! It's a copy of USGS quad maps, it's not a state highway map!
    tpchuckles likes this.