Chasing Demons in the desert

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by roadtoadrider, Feb 7, 2019.

1. roadtoadrider

roadtoadrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The trip wasn't supposed to be somber, or filled with self inspection. When it started a year ago, it was about an uncle, a nephew and a brother riding through the desert Southwest and truly enjoying each other's company.
    An intoxicated driver changed all that when he struck my nephew with an SUV and killed him as he rode his motorbike home from work.
    Now I find myself in a situation none of us want to experience, but all too often we find ourselves in. The ride changes for us, not worse, not better,but different.

Attached Files:

TheLastByte likes this.
  2. roadtoadrider

roadtoadrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking at the Super Tenere geared up and ready to ride, my emotions were pure anger towards the SUV driver, pure sadness at the emptiness the desert now held, and a calm stillness that urged me to ride. Ride not only for self healing but to chase the demons away. Deciding to ride set the stage for an epic couple of days of riding.

Attached Files:

klaviator likes this.
  3. roadtoadrider

roadtoadrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    KIMG0151.JPG KIMG0146.JPG
    td63, bomose, Skooter and 3 others like this.
  4. roadtoadrider

roadtoadrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heading out of the San Tan valley towards Tucson. The trails/roads? Were awesome. As the sunshine warmed my body, my mind was overcome with the longing to have my nephew "Yoshi" along for the ride. I could almost hear him saying he was "right here with ya uncle" and hey, this way I could keep up to him. I had told him a long time ago, riding with him was a lot like riding alone! KIMG0165.JPG
  5. roadtoadrider

roadtoadrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The next day went smoother and I was able to keep my emotions in check .Rode to Tortilla Flats for a lunch,then continued on the Apache trail. This was awesome! As the road slowly got smaller and smaller, it got steeper and steeper. Walled in by sheer cliffs, 1 up and 1 down,I was simply in heaven. KIMG0153.JPG
    td63, bomose, klaviator and 4 others like this.
  6. AzMtnThumper

AzMtnThumper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So sorry to hear about your nephew. I think about my Dad a lot when I ride and the rides we used to take when I was a kid. Sometimes when I revisit some of those places its kind of overwhelming.
    roadtoadrider likes this.
  7. roadtoadrider

roadtoadrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's really what it's all about isn't it? The freedom of being on the bike and really setting our souls and minds free.
    panzer, bajabinder and AzMtnThumper like this.
  8. AzMtnThumper

AzMtnThumper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "That's really what it's all about isn't it? The freedom of being on the bike and really setting our souls and minds free."

Absolutely...
  9. roadtoadrider

roadtoadrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the support. I feel like I successfully faced my desert demons and remembered the pure enjoyment of the ride. Till next time, ride well my friends!
    panzer, jays100 and eaglescan like this.
  10. fuhgawee

fuhgawee Thats a road?

Oddometer:
    How horrible, sorry for you loss!

Arizona is a gorgeous state to ride in. Eastern half is my next trip
  11. roadtoadrider

roadtoadrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't explain the loss and pain, but the support from fellow riders, and the experience of this ride has been a great healing experience. Arizona is on my list to do again, there is such an array of beautiful places to see, I too will be back, minus some demons I hope.
    jays100 likes this.