1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Chasing Freddie Mercury

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Noshir, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Noshir

Noshir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As we find ourselves on the backroads riding every twist and turn i could plan, the roads are becoming worse. Some of the roads could well be dual sport territory. The Suzuki is hard going for dad. Especially with his bad back, knees and inability to stand when required.

Match that with the characteristic seasonal heat in the region and we quickly agree we need to get to better roads. This means a change in plans and once again i find using the AGM phone with offline google maps an advantage.

As the day progresses, we find ourselves inching towards Panchgani. The first day has been hard on dad and we look forward to dinner and a good rest.
    Angry Pete likes this.
  2. Tigris_GER

Tigris_GER Adventure-Finder

Oddometer:
    There's only one thing in my 56 years - I never saw Queen with Freddie Mercury live. When they were in my home town in Germany in the late 1970ies, I was too young and my parents didn't allow me to go to the concert. Later - for any reason I cannot remember - I missed them again. And then it was too late.

When Freddie Mercury died, it was a shock for me and I still remember the situation when I heard the news on German radio.

Of course, I'm in.
    Noshir likes this.
  3. Noshir

Noshir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Coming into Panchgani, the town that Freddie went to school in, the town is not as sleepy as it was back then. Certainly a great place for a school with the rolling hills, peaceful atmosphere and a very pleasant temperature compared to the plains below, i can well imagine a piano playing Freddie laying the foundations of greater things to come - right here.

The mandatory picture at the school.
    20180929_111012.jpg 20180929_111243.jpg

Enrolled around the age of 8, it was here that Farookh was nicknamed Freddie.
    Angry Pete and Tigris_GER like this.
  4. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    We saw Queen circa 1976 for A Night At the Opera tour @ the Beacon Theater in NYC. It was quite a concert..
    Tigris_GER likes this.
  5. Noshir

Noshir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With the near record monsoons, the roads resembled an enduro ride at times and it was actually smoother to ride off road but the post monsoon blooms more than made up for it.

20180929_122826.jpg

The dams were over flowing and the hills were beautifully green. Making our way to Mahabaleshwar, 20km from Panchgani, Freddie had frequented these roads on his bicycle. Maybe an inspiration for - i want to ride my bicycle!!! He was an all rounder in school having won cycling races and also a few boxing matches.

The song - Its a beautiful day - stuck in my head, we descended from the back roads of Mahabaleshwar winding our way towards a place called Koynanagar.

20180929_141227.jpg

The heat and humidity had also kicked in on the valley floor and i was thankful for the Klim xc jersey. Not sure i would have gone with anything heavier.

20180929_123439.jpg

Attached Files:

powderzone likes this.