Chasing Summer

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jean-Luc, Aug 25, 2007.

1. crosscountry

crosscountry Bear went over Mountain

Oddometer:
    Wow, I thought I had missed a bunch by not reading for a few weeks; and this was what I saw first!

I'm sorry to hear about your adventure mishap and wish you a speedy recovery. I have broken both my wrist and ankle before, and believe me the wrist was better overall. Good luck healing and I can't wait till you are able to take another trip - as are you too I suppose.

:thumbup
  2. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    J-L

I don't get in here as much as I use to, so I just read about your most recent get-off. :yikes

I'm so glad it was not worse. Heal fast, and well :thumb
  3. Codewheeney

Codewheeney Hoopy Frood Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, that sucks Jean-Luc. I've been lurking here and want to say thanks a million for taking us along, and so sorry for your biff. Heal quickly!

JC
  4. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Throttle committed

Oddometer:
    Cheers Odysseus! Bad luck and maybe a bit of your 'tag line' :wink:. Just kidding, that was not really the case in any of those accidents...

We're both in the West and I'm looking forward to meeting you and all the ones who supported me in this trip. Maybe at the next ADVrider meeting?

Thanks for the compliments and good wishes guys :nod I'm glad that you've enjoyed it!

"If only time and money were limitless..." Indeed! I would be in Bolivia next month if that was the case... with a bunch of you I'm sure :lol3 :freaky
  5. ZOA

ZOA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GREAT IDEA :clap :clap :clap
  6. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your encouragement and don't worry about your English, it's totally fine :thumb (says the one who doesn't master it either)

Very nice words. Thanks! Now that I had a bit of time to reflect on it, there is something really special going on when you are in such a trip. I don't think that it's related to me. Rather, it's a 'groove' a travel/adventure spirit, that evolves, almost by itself, and that carry you through the worst obstacles. It's very different from adrenaline that only helps by short bursts. This feeling comes from the acceptance that 'anything can happen' but the almost opposite belief that despite everything you are going to 'make it'.

Hello Vance :wave

Hey, I thought that you had memory troubles but you still remember that one from years ago :wink:. Here is the link for those who missed it :deal. Cheers buddy.

Two more riders injured :huh. Part of the package, right? Heal well Red 5, we'll see who's first on a bike :lol3.
  7. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    The nice thing about English is that even if you get a lot of it wrong, your meaning shines through. Also the speakers don't care if you get it wrong unlike some other language speakers I can name....

So how are you feeling? I may have missed it but did you get any hardware inserted to assist in your healing?
  8. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    Quote: (Originally Posted by Jean-Luc)
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt1" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Thanks for your encouragement and don't worry about your English, it's totally fine :thumb (says the one who don't master it either)

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    I couldn't better prove my point than by making a big spelling mistake in it :lol3.

Very true! French especially are very picky (amongst themselves) with language. When they 'correct' foreigners however it is mostly to help them. When I moved to the US I was almost shocked that no one was correcting me. Was it by politeness, laziness or just the feeling that 'precise language doesn't matter that much', I don't know. But I had to insist with a few friends to convince them to correct me more often since it's the best way to avoid repeating the same mistakes again and again...

Well, today was a big day since I got my cast removed after 6 weeks :rayof. I have however a splint for 2 more weeks that I have to keep 24/7 except to bathe. So riding is still out of the question for now :(:.

About hardware, yes I do have some indeed as you can see from today's X-ray. Looks like a Mikado game to me :D:

[​IMG]

They removed this morning the 3 'horizontal' pins. The screw and the other 'tension pin' in the ulna will stay permanently.
  9. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    :augie

:clap :clap :clap
  10. Ronnysho

Ronnysho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    JL, I'm not an MD but is the second digit from the left broken also? Heal quick, hope to cross your path someday. Ronny
  11. configurationspace

configurationspace delooper

Oddometer:
    Broken English is the standard language in my line of work. If I freely volunteered to smooth-out people's use of the language I wouldn't have any time to do my own work. So I only offer to help if people ask me repeatedly, or if their usage is so unclear as to be dangerously misleading. For people in technical fields this is a pretty common story. It's less `laziness' and more `economy of effort.' Besides, people struggling to find the right words frequently come up with some touching and creative solutions. I'd rather listen to someone struggling to find the words than someone talking in tired cliches or political buzzwords...
  12. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    Congrats on your progress, J-L. After my first round of fixing on my last broken wrist / arm, my hand was rotated unnaturally so I looked rather strange for a while. It worked all right though. But within a few weeks I broke the entire thing again. Turned out I had an infection in the marrow which wasn't addressed in the first go around which made the arm weak.

The second 'fix' is strong and also my hand is put on right making typing easier.

Here in the US, unlike, say England, there is no standard English. Up until 150 years ago, there was no standard spelling either. About 180 years ago, a fellow introduced standard spelling but it was opposed until public education became widespread.

Thus we have no real official standard to correct you to. Until a few years ago, spoken English varied widely due to isolation. Frex, a group of isolated mountain folks, discovered by the rest of the world in the 1930's, spoke with an Elizabethan accent because their isolation started in the 1700's.

Also there is the fear factor. Let's say I am reading your narrative and I find a minor grammatical error. I can get picky and correct you which may mean you switch to perfect French. So my complaint gets me the entire loss of your narrative. Thus due to fear of losing out on your excellent journalism, you can murder English dead but no one will complain.

You DO know you have a book there, don't you?
  13. crosscountry

crosscountry Bear went over Mountain

Oddometer:
    There is something odd about that x-ray. JL has no opposable thumb!

(it must be a food x-ray ;) )

edit - it seems as if he was refering to a hand. this is more like what I'd expect to see
  14. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    Than you cRAsH for helping me so many times on that :thumb
  15. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    You know what, I was a bit surprised to see that on screen too (I took a picture of a very small X-ray copy). When I read your comment this morning I decided to call my surgeon about it...

Turns out that it (the ring finger metacarpal) is indeed broken as well as the ring and baby fingers at the proximal phalange :eek1. I'm quite shocked that my surgeon didn't notice it until I told him but I guess he focused exclusively on the wrist since it was urgent and quite dramatic. Still... :bluduh

The only good news is that nothing needs to be done since the hand was immobilized by the cast and so the bones had a chance to heal in the same time as the wrist. So no more surgery is required. He told me that the visible displacement will not be a problem either :dunno
  16. christian

christian Long timer

Oddometer:
    you may want to get a full scan, just in case you got more broken stuff in you body :lol3

ok I'll pay the next beer :-)
  17. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Heck Jean-Luc,
    In south louisiana you would sound so normal no one would know any better. Either spelling or speaking. Us Cajuns just don't care. :freaky
  18. NomadRip

NomadRip Always a n00b

Oddometer:
    That was the one I would go with, since they are SmugMug partners already. Let us know when! :D
  19. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    </g>
    Cool, thank you for showing your interest! I'm planning to go with Blurb indeed since they provide a nice software to build the book and they are the cheapest for that level of quality. As Mary says, it's however not going to be cheap with all those pictures :huh. That's why I might go with the 'normal' landscape rather than with the large one. OTOH, Mary is right: it's not that much compared to fill up your car gas tank :eek1.

That said be patient. First I have to refrain myself to spend too much time on it since it's so more appealing than searching for a job :arg. More importantly, I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to pictures and graphic presentation so I need time to go through more than 4000 pics, select the absolute best and the right narrative to go with it. I'll keep you updated :1drink
  20. WilderRider

WilderRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    put me on the list for a copy as well.