Chasing Summer

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jean-Luc, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Ronnysho

Ronnysho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad I could help, no charge:D Hopefully heading south from Tacoma in the fall, love to meet the legend and tip a few, my treat. Put me on the list for a signed copy of the book also. Heal quickly and make it to Antartica! Ronny
  2. Krashdragon

Krashdragon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh my! 4000 pics?
    Ok, about 200 of them in the book, actually bout 400, north and south... and the rest of them on line!
    How the hell are you going to pick out the "best" pics?
    Except for a few of them that I didnt' find "as interesting" as the rest...
    Still good, but your taste may vary...
    Oh and yes, the horse on the cliff must be in there!

There are quite a few really excellent RR's that are in here, but your photography is consistantly supurb... and I know how hard that is to do.

Mary
  3. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
  4. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    I don't think it is all that uncommon. When I had my gettof in '03 they put in 8 or 12 (can't remember now) screws to piece together my rad¡us and ulna. This was at Stanford Medical Center with some of the best doctors on the planet. They totally missed two broken fingers and at least 5 broken ribs. Same story when I pointed it out later, "We wouldn't have done anything, even if we had noticed" :norton
  5. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Throttle committed

Oddometer:
    Scary :huh. I'm afraid that it's the consequence of the 'ultra-specialization' of the US medical approach...
  6. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    Thanks LR. Many emotional cycles indeed. A trip like this makes you leave 'on the edge', with intensity and an almost overdose of novelty and discovery. From the highs to the lows the range is much bigger than usual and the pace of change much faster. Something I never experienced though is boredom :D.

I'll take that as a big compliment :lol3

Hey Albert, that is so exciting!!! I've been thinking of moving to Columbia since I loved it so much but I'm having a hard time convincing my family. With you there I have one more reason to go back :deal. A huge thanks for the help you've provided me at a pretty critical time of my trip :thumb. BTW, I left a waterproof bag in Lima, it's now yours of course...

Hey, it's a good thing that I was not waiting on the side of the road for you to rescue me this time :evil :D

I'm glad that you enjoyed the report! The healing seems to take forever :cry. It's been 2 months and I still have the wrist immobilized. With the ankle I was already on the bike by then...
  7. C-Dub

C-Dub Clean Air Hog

Oddometer:
    +1
  8. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    This is a friendly reminder to JL that his presence in Colorado for the Latin America Rider Rally would be greatly appreciated.
  9. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    :clap:freaky:deal
  10. Redhead

Redhead Jieserro Mulla-Ga-Noof

Oddometer:
    Sorry it ended sour.
    I've been reading this since 4/16/08 (at work, when I have time)
    hahahhahahahahahahahahahhahaahahhahahahahahahahahahah

When is your next adventure?
  11. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    In my mind it's still a sweet adventure, but my wrist disagrees :wink:.The scaphoid has been displaced so much in the accident that the blood vessels irrigating it have been ripped off. The bone doesn't seem dead (necrosis) though, so there is still hope but I have to keep a splint until the beginning of July :cry.

So no adventure for me for still quite a while. The next ride might be actually in your neck of the woods since I'm trying to make it to the Latin America Rider Rally...
  12. Krashdragon

Oddometer:
    Good luck with your wrist healing... that injury sounds perfectly yucky!
    do what the doc says, and don't push it.
    Oh, if you didn't know... our bodies mainly heal while we're sleeping, so get lots of sleep...
    Take care
    Mary
  13. ZOA

ZOA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry JL
    I have one question
    "how you have make the internet connection on the place not near the big city"
    mybe you have just answer to this question
    "what did you use for you connection, for send mail and photo?"

thanks for the answer..:deal

I need for my next trip
  14. Redhead

Redhead Jieserro Mulla-Ga-Noof

Oddometer:
    no doubt
    I've broken my scaphoid 6 times
    serious
    can't do a push up normally
    just got done with a 4 day, 1300 mile trip around Colorado/New Mexico
    wrist hurt every day on the throttle
    better start my ride report
  15. NomadRip

NomadRip Always a n00b

Oddometer:
    May as well work on the picturebook while you're waiting :augie
  16. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    Hi Zoa, happy to help. I had nothing special for internet connections and it was fine like that. I found internet places almost everywhere in Latin America, much more than in North America. There only very few 'Internet Cafe' or Wi-Fi spots but you just go in Internet 'shops' and use their computer by the hour. You can find them in very small and remote villages too. When and where is your trip?
  17. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    6 times?!? :eek1 That's crazy! I don't mind not doing push ups but 'pain everyday on the throttle' :arg. How long between your last surgery and the ride?
  18. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    I am, I am. But closing 3 potential job opportunities is keeping me busy those days...:deal

After several tries I decided for now to stick with something close to the ride report. I will not keep the 2,000 pictures of the reports but I guess 80% of them. I'm also rewriting it a bit since my proofreading was really deficient while on the road :wink:.

That's a lot of stuff so I choose the largest book format (13x11) and will certainly use the maximum of 440 pages! I realize that the cost will be prohibitive for most but I've decided to be a bit selfish and do it for me and my family :1drink. I've done about 40 pages so far and it's VERY time consuming.

Then I might follow Mary (krashdragon)'s suggestion and have a much cheaper album with only a couple of hundred pictures and no story.
  19. C-Dub

C-Dub Clean Air Hog

Oddometer:
    Hi Jean Luc! Just thought I'd chime in to say congrats on the job offers and hope to see you on two wheels some time soon.

I don't suppose you will be making the WMRS ride at the end of this month, right?
  20. Krashdragon

Oddometer:
    naw, it just takes ALL of your time! <G>
    Or a DVD with as many pics as you can squeeze on it...<G>

Hoping you get a very good job!
    Ummmm.... that's one that pays for riding and writing...<BG>

As far as editing.... part of the charm of the report was how you phrased stuff....

Good luck
    Mary