Chasing Summer

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jean-Luc, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Krashdragon

Krashdragon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As long as you guys take lots of pics!~ :D

This should be interesting.....

Mary
  2. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Throttle committed

Oddometer:
    Hey WR - I'm really glad that you chimed in! Your trip was (still is) an inspiration to me when I prepared my own trip and I love the way you tell great stories on the people you meet. Heck, I might even follow your tracks in Africa one of these days :deal.
    There are surprising indeed! I had noticed them too but not the almost day for day coincidence. An you definitely beat me in terms of hardware in your body :eek1.
    Sounds PERFECT to me :1drink. Any place would be good so let's plan something the next time we're both in the same continent :wink:.
    That I will! After all I have plenty of reasons to be happy: I'm still in one piece, I found a great job and soon I'll be able to buy (and ride) a new bike :ricky

Quick update on my injuries:
    - Ankle is as good as new! Seriously, the surgeon has done a fantastic job and I have no pains or weaknesses any more.
    </snip></snip>- Wrist is still in a splint because the scaphoid is not totally healed yet. I have been using an ultrasounds bone healing system for almost a month so hopefully in my next visit next week the Doctor will have good news for me.
  3. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    I definitely see your point! I regret though to not have been able to see Bolivia on my way back from the South. I was reading today at PT a National Geographic magazine on it and for the culture as well as the sceneries I really would like to go and visit it. Tough though: in addition to WR, Teryk also got his knee injured there. Luckily it's not as bad.
    :nah At least that's what I tell my wife :augie
  4. rapiti

rapiti IOR Veteran

Oddometer:

This is all great news! You CAN go home again!

I am sure we are all curious about your next bike. :ricky
  5. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    'Go home'? You lost me there :confused

For the bike I still have 3-4 contenders: 690 SE, 950 SE, BMW 800GS or... a 950/990 Adventure (again!)
  6. rapiti

rapiti IOR Veteran

Oddometer:
    Take a grand adventure, and resume "normal" life once again (in the Bay Area!) I know home has more than one meaning for expats.

Speaking of which, where in France do you come from? The exchange rate is keeping us away from a big family trip, although I will be taking some students of mine there on a package tour next June.

I have avoided riding a 690 as daughter has begun youth sailing and there is this 640A in the shed that meets my needs. There is much to like about the 690 on paper, and I fear more to like in person. Your familiarity with the V-twins could also be a consideration. Are the fuel injected 990s getting better fuel economy than the carbureted 950s?
  7. worldrider

worldrider Adventure & Discovery

Oddometer:
    I'm flattered and I thank you... Re tracking in Africa: That would be great -- another JL ride report from another continent. Go JL go!!!

Africa has been such an eye opener for me, I can't tell you how much I've fallen in love with the people, how much I've been challenged both physically and emotionally and how Africa has, in so many ways, made me grow as both a rider and as a patient and compassionate person....
    I guess just the competitive part of me, eh??? Well, not really. But I've been put together well.

You got that. It's a deal and I'll drink :freaky to that!

Well that's fantastic (and good we're all in one piece after such crazy and bad luck... but the good luck comes too. Not sure if you've seen the fortunate instances I've had in Africa...) Healthy, on the way to wealthy and new bikes... all great reasons to keep the smiling and keep dreaming and planning...

That wrist thing is dicey, huh? Well take care. Do those exercises once he breaks you free. I play guitar and it was a sad thing for me to see how long it took to get strong again in my left wrist... but you'll be fine!

Glad to hear back and let's stay in touch.
  8. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    I hope I will not need your talents as osteopath by the time you arrive here but I'll sure enjoy you pasta cooking talents :dg. I have a big pot so the welcome reception will be big :freaky
  9. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer Bananaman! Long gone are the days where I was a Cowboy in Montana (!) but I might still remember how to ride horses. That would be a lot of fun with you guys :nod
  10. ZOA

ZOA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK ...GREATE :clap
    WE STAY ON CONTACT

THANKS VERY MUCH:clap
  11. Yoni

Yoni DARE!

Oddometer:
    Hi JL
    10 days ago i was searching AdvRider for threads on AK to Ushuaia trip reports. a trip i am planinig to start next June. (fly my bike from here to anchorage and then back from boenos aires, BTW i intend to cross the Darien Gap) Ive read many reports and found somethig new in each one. I must say that your trip is the most inspiering one. i took more than the rout points (which some i copied to my google page) i took your commitment to go on with the ride.
    One basic exitment i had seeing how AdvR community suported you all the way. it is really touching. here in my place such a trip report has no stage to repot from, but i'm working on pushing a blogg to use while i'm on the road.

Hope you will always be a dreamer. i think that that is the most important thing in life.

sorry for my not so good english - you need to here my spanish :-))

Yoni
    from israel
    :norton
  12. ZOA

ZOA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GREAT YONI

I will make the same trip but in the opposti direction (from south to north) and I will sart on october ..so ..I thnk we will cross in some place of USA ..

way not ? :freaky

:clap :clap
  13. Yoni

Yoni DARE!

Oddometer:
    Nice to know there are some other loons here in the region. BTW last month i visited Brescia as a guest of IVECO (then I've been to Verona and Torino) WHAT a place and what great food.
    how did you get to JL's thread?

yoni
  14. ZOA

ZOA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JUST A FRIENDS

and I'm very happy to find a place lake this :clap
  15. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    I see. Well, I came back 'home' (San Francisco) quite some time ago now but "normal" life, not yet! Family and work, yes, but can it be a "normal" life when you still cannot ride?!? :deal

I am from Paris and love to go back there in summer time but, you're right the exchange rate is a killer for now :cry.

I don't know about a better mileage for the FI but one argument for the 690 is that it has a much better gas mileage than any 9x0. Despite that I'm currently leaning for the unreasonable choice: 950 SE :evil
  16. Drogen Omen

Drogen Omen Compass Expeditions

Oddometer:
    any one heading through ecuador stop off in Vilcabamba and look for Gavin the guy from New Zealand... he does awesome horse back rides up to his farm and takes you on a trek to the lakes near his place... closest you will get to the edge of the earth..

he loves motorbikes and has some good stories to tell. tell him Christian Moore says hi from New Zealand and he might give you a discound.. either that or buy you a beer..
  17. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer:
    great RR....

:D :D
  18. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    :augie
  19. sideXside

sideXside Boy Scout

Oddometer:
    Whew! I finally finished reading this RR! What a ride! My adventures have been on four wheels and I haven’t owned a motorcycle in a long while, but after reading your adventures, I’m most certainly getting one. It’ll probably be orange too. :wink:

Jean-Luc, I thoroughly enjoyed your travelogue. You are an accomplished storyteller. I have tried to imagine how you gather your thoughts at the end of each tiring day, typing your notes, recalling significant events and general mood you had, then later composing your updates and injecting your insights as you view each uploaded picture. You have truly made it exciting and wonderful for us.

I have learned so much about two-wheeled adventure travel just from your RR alone. So, if your travels ever find you on my side of the Pacific, I’d like to have a bottle of wine with you, as I do feel I owe you one! :thumb
  20. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Knowledge is horsepower...

Oddometer:
    Damn, what a tour!! Thanks for taking us with!

:bow

I only made it to page 8. This could take days!!!