1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap ass gloves

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by fireflyr, Aug 7, 2018.

1. fireflyr

fireflyr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wanted some vintage looking gloves for my ‘74 Eldorado but couldn’t find anything thing I liked. I picked up a pair of yellowish baby puke/poop colored leather work gloves at Tractor Supply. No draw strings or frills, $19.95. Got them home and brewed up some black tea and coffee and and submerged them for an hour. That brought up the color a little but not as much as I wanted. I dried them and got out a very old can of mahogany colored Minwax. It was pretty thick and went on with a brush. I only left it on for about 10 minutes and had to really work to get the thick goo off. Let that dry and applied two coats of boot oil.

01C9D718-5874-4442-89C1-62257F47ABB1.jpeg

C2AA8267-83E6-4F4D-A543-4A5E47A05C0E.jpeg

In sunlight
    43DEC0DE-AD39-4816-9B0A-804CA7C6A9B3.jpeg

I like the uneven color, they look like an old baseball glove and are very soft. I got what I wanted and for only twenty bucks.

Attached Files:

JimVonBaden, oldoval, grelcar and 4 others like this.
  2. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    I bought a set of deerskin gloves in Lincoln Nebraska like two years ago, about time for another set, they were $11..
    yep... good stuff in my opinion.

they do stain my hands yellow in the rain...

meh, not a huge issue.
  3. TonyKZ1

TonyKZ1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm also wearing a pair (2nd pair, wore-out the first pair using them for farm chores) that I got from the local County Farmer's Co-op where I buy feed. Not any armor unfortunately but they feel/fit good and have good leather. I wonder why they're all dyed that yellow color?
  4. PlainClothesHippy

PlainClothesHippy Riding a dangerously quiet bike.

Oddometer:
    I wore them as summer hot weather gloves for a few years and loved them. I'd get new ones and lay them out in the sun for a few days to fade out the yellow. Although they never got tested, I changed back to heftier ventilated riding gloves again, but I always have a pair of old yellers stashed on the bike
  5. WindBlast

WindBlast Recalculating........

Oddometer:
    I value my hands and fingers too much to use "cheap-ass gloves" that won't stay on with no wrist strap or seams that separate due to shitty thread and crap leather. But that's just me.

argosaurus_gloves.jpg
    Baroquenride, Bultaco206, cug and 2 others like this.
  6. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    I slide down the road in mine, they stayed on and my hands and fingers were pretty much the least damaged parts of me and the bike

so yeah, cheap ass gloves worked out just fine for me, hell im still wearing them a year later.
    JimVonBaden and Maggot12 like this.
  7. max384

max384 Bandaided

Oddometer:
    :stupid
  8. Walterxr650l

Walterxr650l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I value my hands and finger also. That's why I won't buy the cheep ass gloves, made with thin crap leather and shitty stitching, sold for highly inflated prices, at the motorcycle shops. I go to a local glove company and buy high quality work gloves. Built with better leather and better stitching, for a lot less money. But that's just me.

Walter
  9. fireflyr

fireflyr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow. These gloves are thick leather with good stitching. I just meant they didn’t cost me an arm and a leg.
  10. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Motorcycling specific gear Mafia

They are everywhere.
  11. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welles-Lamont drivers gloves are my go to glove now. Again a plain well made glove but those come with a cinch on the wrist so they won't come off in a slide.
    Given the heat here the plain leather gloves are the best compromise, anything near as good in a motorcycle glove is 1/4 the thickness and turns my hands black just from the sweat.
    mouthfulloflake likes this.
  12. SDGarrick

SDGarrick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I highsided a few years ago, hit a patch of ice in a turn. Landed on my hand and busted up the most proximal knuckle of my thumb. Was wearing icon super duty gloves, nice gloves but no armor. Won't wear them anymore, wouldnt have arthritis in my thumb if I had been wearing my gauntletsgloves with armor. Just saying.
  13. Mr. Thompson

Mr. Thompson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cheap? I bought three pair of deerskin gloves at Costco for under $20. Great for yard and shop use. They are not far off in fit from the fancy elk gloves that the Fresno PD fancies or for that matter my precious, fine fitting, seamless palm Thurlows. I managed to find myself in the position to impact a lefty with both hands wearing said gloves (the fancy elk ones). No broken bones but after three months my hands and wrists still hurt like hell. No more thin gloves. Held Spots at the minimum.
  14. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the feel and suppleness of deerskin, but not the way they slide on my grips. Wish they’d work a touch screen too.
    95Monster likes this.
  15. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    They do work with my touchscreen...
  16. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    I love the dye job for wood-look leather. You can buy them in Starbucks.

Those cheap ass deerskins increased my IQ. They are amazing. I never fall off my bike so no problem with their near uselessness in a crash. :jack

Seriously, I keep a pair of deerskins in my tool kit. Good for keeping hands clean when changing a tire, etc. Beyond that, nope.
  17. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it does matter the type of touch screen. They don’t work on my phones, they do on an Indian touch screen.
  18. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    They work on my Kyocera gps phones
    Not on my iPhone, but the iPhone is in a case that is probably why

If the gloves increased your IQ I’d recommend that you try wearing multiple pairs...
  19. judgedelta

judgedelta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a pair of Joe Rocket gloves made of some type of synthetic suede that's pretty thick. Has rubber on the back and fingers and will work a touch screen. Air will pass through it to dry the sweat (common in these parts). Velcro straps, cost about $25 bucks.
  20. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gotta say I've never heard of a glove company-at least a retail version? Go to a western farm & ranch store, but a pair of cowboy gloves-elk I like best but others sold that are VG in my opinion. My arthritic hands don't want to live inside a starwars type of glove. Wish they were easier to buy in retail nearer to home for best fit.
    Per OP, I could give a crap less how they "look", that's funny for me! to dye them. :rofl Gotta have that look going on...:lol2