Cheap DOT Knobby recommendation needed

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by KDCanyonRanch, Apr 23, 2007.

1. KDCanyonRanch

KDCanyonRanch Twist it, twist it!

Oddometer:
    I 've read many posts on which knobby is the best, but I'm looking for the cheapest, D.O.T. approved, knobby I can find (05' 950 ADV, 21 and 18 inch rims).

For my ussual riding the Scorpion is my prefered tire, however I am going to the Rawhyde adventure challenge and need a one time use knobby for that week and a few days of dirt practice before, then back to my Scorpions.

So, to all the experts in this area, can you help. Which and where can I find the cheaped knobby that is street approved.

Thanks much
  2. element

element Time to roll

Oddometer:
    Great 50:50 tire...
  3. DOD

DOD rider #5

Oddometer:
    I have a set of Pirelli MT-21s on my SE. They are not expensive and work fine. You might try Southwest Mototires for a good price.
  4. StihlRigg

StihlRigg Dog Farkler

Oddometer:
    Try King Tires. I bought a DOT knobby for $56.95 shipped to my local dealer w/free mounting. I looked on the tire and couldn't find a model # or name. I've gotten a little over 900 miles out of them, mostly dirt. They hook up great in the dirt and are pretty scary on the slab.
    I agree on the MT21. I use them most of the time but, for cheap, King Tires all the way.
    good luck:freaky
  5. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Got a pic or a link to where you got them? Thanks

6. StihlRigg

StihlRigg Dog Farkler

Oddometer:
    I found this, http://www.kingstire.com/KT-963Rear.htm
    I just found out my 908rr is on backorder and won't be here till the 6th or 7th of next month so it looks like I'll be getting another 5-600 miles of dirt on them whether I want to or not.

Good Luck,:freaky
  7. KDCanyonRanch

KDCanyonRanch Twist it, twist it!

Oddometer:
    I just have to say, what a good samaritan to adventure riding, "erider". I purchased his "used" knobby tires for a great price and received them before the check even cleared the bank, and the tires are as close to new as they get. I've worn more tread off rolling a new tire to the cash register then these had worn off. in ebay terms he's an AAA+++
    Thanks erider!!!!!! :freaky
  8. osteo

osteo Motion is Life

Oddometer:
    I will 3rd the motion on the Kings for a cheap, good off-road tire. I used it all last year (went through about 3 of them) - lasted about 4000km of good use :thumb

Here is the link to the web site with the tire Kings 963 The size is theoretically too small for the rim, but it does work fine.

The only problem is that being a narrower tire it is a bit of a bugger to get that bead to seat.

This pic compares the Scorpion (left), with the Kings 963 (centre) and the used TKC80 (right)
    [​IMG]

Side profile
    [​IMG]

Like I said, for the dollar (and has been said already) it is hard to beat. Works good in all conditions...

D
  9. StihlRigg

StihlRigg Dog Farkler

Oddometer:
    osteo, hey I forgot to mention that I have Sun Rims 3.5in rear. The 5.10x18 fits similar to a 140.

Peace
  10. DRZ400SK4

DRZ400SK4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kenda K760!

Not only inexpensive, but it hooks up better than most DOT knobbies that cost much more...

[​IMG]
  11. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Anyone try these?

(06835) $43.95 Cheng Shin C755 5.30-18 6 Ply Rear Tire Mfg.#: TM76820

They look just like the King, only a little wider.
  12. osteo

osteo Motion is Life

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this is the same ChenShin... dirtinblood had it on his 950S for a short period of time! it did not last very long at all.
    [​IMG]

That makes sense, when the day comes that I dig up the pile of gold out of the back yard I will get Woody to make me a 3.5" rear wheel.. and all will be golden!

Hey, just realized with your online name - I picked up a used 026 the other day... it ate the 3 trees in my back yard!! haha!!:lol3

D
  13. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

DW
  14. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
  15. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    It's the pic that Dennis tried to post up above, it was dirtinbloods rear Chenshin.

DW
  16. osteo

osteo Motion is Life

Oddometer:
  17. StihlRigg

StihlRigg Dog Farkler

Oddometer:
    Osteo, i wouldn't have bought the wheels but I pretty much had the stock ones looking like pentagons after only a couple of months. One 7 day offroad trip and the front was toast.
    the O26 is a great saw. I used to run an 084 with a 36in. bar fulltime for my job(lumberjack). I've since switched career to building instead of logging.

DRZ400SK4, Unfortunately, I don't think that tire is made in a 140. On the 950 even with aftermarket wheels the 140 size is as small as I want to go. 100 hp and 500lbs requires large tires.

That Chen shin looks good though.
    Peace
  18. idahoskiguy

idahoskiguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cheap and Tire in the same sentance usually result in a bad outcome.

Just my experience - buy the best tire you can get and watch the air pressure.
  19. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    I agree, but I've got some weekend trips planned this summer that unfortunately to make the most out of it, I may have to truck the bike there.....I know. Bike and truck= bad combination.

I figure a cheap tire may be fine as long as it lasts the weekend. Why burn up a $90 tire? I hate putting half worn out tires back on. If I'm putting a tire on it's usually new. Unless it's for street riding. Just my 2c.
  20. Waxy

Waxy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Kenda Trakmaster K760. The rear is awesome, one of the best tires for the money IMHO, DOT is pure gravy.

The front is OK.

Waxy