Cheap Luggage?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by MengerFan, Jul 9, 2002.

1. MengerFan

MengerFan Folk Hero

Oddometer:
    So I am the proud new owner of an R1150GS. Unfortunately, since I just blew my entire wad on the bike, I need to save up for a while before I can get some good bags.

Would anyone have suggestions regarding some relatively inexpensive side bags for temporary or even not-so-temporary use?
  2. Waco

Waco Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer:
  3. eap

eap El Adventurero Solitario Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats MengerFan on your new aquisition - I rolled in the BMW system bags, commuter suit and other goodies when I financed my GS...

You might check out fabric bags, like Magsbags also check out Tank bags and Tail bags - there is a listing at http://www.motorcyclegearreview.com/ .

Welcome to the asylum, also you might want to check out the Adventure rider T-shirts and hat thread for some 'official' stuff - See you around the DC/MD/WVA/PA riding area....
  4. MengerFan

MengerFan Folk Hero

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys.

I did package a top case with my purchase, but those BMW system cases are just not my bag, so to speak. I think I'm just going to be bungeeing (sp?) my book bag to the back for now, and I would like to get a pair of Jesse bags, I think, in the future.

I just drove my baby home from Bob's yesterday evening, by the way. Took the long way home (20 mile ride -> 120 mile ride). Man, was it an awesome trip. Can't wait to rack up some more miles this evening.

See you around.
  5. jocflier

jocflier Dammit, that hurt... Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. MountainMan

MountainMan accelerating

Oddometer:
    I ain't got a big budget for the accesories and what nots... So I merely headed down to K-mart and stole an idea I originally saw on a GS at Seneca Rocks last year... Ultra Cheap lockable storage.

It'll hold: 4 six-packs and 2 10 lb. bags of ice and keep them cool from Marlinton to Watoga state park no problem.. (and most of the night). Makes for a nice rear case.

you take one of these (actionpacker 10 gallon size<$10):
    Rubbermaid 10 Gallon Actionpacker (aka cheap Luggage)

and you carefully use something to measure it with.. I use my thumbs.. :rofl
    locate some holes to match up to your rack, or whatever is handy (I used the tail section mounting bolts on my KTM). Mark them off the centerline and drill some holes in the actionpacker. Use long bolts to attach it to your rig.

Now it's kinda flimsy mounted on the KTM, so I hunted around and found an old peice of 1/4" thick plate steel, about 3 x 8 or so... Drilled to holes in it and taped some pipe insulation cut in half on each side. Put holes for your bolts thru the insulation and installed it between the bottom of the box and the bike.. Stiffened it right on up there.. If I had it to do over again, I might have carefully cut out a peice of plywood or such and attached it inside the Actionpacker. But I think over time and multiple beer runs the plywood would eventually give out.

It doesn't look half bad on the bike either. And it's waterproof in the rain. Might have to make some into some rear panniers at some point, but I'll probably do up some proper ones in CAD and let my sheetmetal Guru make them for me.

Later,
    -MM
    If I get around to it maybe Steve can take some pics of it on the beast..
  7. Waco

Waco Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer:
    I saw a 650 dirtbike with two huge Igloo coolers for saddlebags with mounts made of aluminum angle. It looked like the bags would weigh more than the bike if they were full.:thwak
  8. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    None better.
    Stout, easy on/off, waterproof. Absofrickinlutely waterproof.
    No pockets. No zippers. No shit.

Maybe not quite cheap, except compared to BMW or alu panniers.

http://www.aerostich.com