1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Cheap-o Knockoff Android "Waterproof" GPS's

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by RomansFiveEight, Jun 29, 2017.

1. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    maps aren't ever an issue on the smartphones. just go to openandromaps and download what you want. you can do it on Wi-Fi (library/pub/whatever) if you don't have cellular service.

you don't ever have to update anything (applications) if you don't want to. just user the stuff you want.
  2. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for trying to shed a little light. We've got a buddy with a super smart phone that's slightly smaller than our toaster oven. I'm exaggerating, but it is a pretty dang big phone. He's in sales and relies on it for a ton of stuff, wears it on his belt and is never without it. We'll have him show us how the GPS feature works. That'll be a start, at least. Thanks again for the friendly discussion, I'm staying tuned.

Sarah
    ohgood likes this.
  3. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    A phone is one solution. You can also install Garmin maps to the micro-SD card or use Garmin Routable Open Source Maps (here). For my money Garmin maps are better, but other people like OSM just fine.
  4. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Thing is without the Garmin.....there isn't a lot of money. I think I am $14 in to apps/maps across all of my devices.
  5. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    @greer be warned. Once you start to use a cell phone you will wonder why garmin feels so dated.
    There is a TON of help here for pretty much any question you can come up with.
    Get a cheap one like the one above for $45 bucks. Load a few apps and try it. All of the better apps have a free trial mode.
    If you like an app kick in a few bucks. I think they are all under $20 bucks or so.
    There is a learning curve, but once you use it a few times its pretty simple till you get deep into the guts of things.....Then do like we all do.....yell for ohgood
  6. greer

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to get with the program. I've made a note of ohgood's phone, and next trip to Walmart I'll take a look.

Sarah
  7. greer

Oddometer:
  8. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Did China not get the memo. It's not 2013 anymore. Kit Kat is ancient. We're up to Nougat now. :nah
  9. greer

Oddometer:
    Just ordered the Kyocera Shore from Walmart, all total $41.33 and supposed to be delivered Friday. Is there a "Phone Mounting Options for Dummies" thread?

Sarah
  10. greer

Oddometer:
  11. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    Sarah,
    The stuff you are looking at is fine for most of us. If you go WAY off road into the sticks and brush you may need better. i would give both of these items a try and see if they do what you want them to do.

Good Luck!
  13. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    I used to cut up inner tubes like this Finn Bicycle mount (which is awesome)
    https://getfinn.com/en/
    finn bike mount.jpeg

but I wanted to try one that would stay on the bike and let me pop the phone out for pictures without having to re-wrap it, so I got this one
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NGZZ4QT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Screen Shot 2017-07-04 at 1.32.49 PM.png

and really like it.

The first one I showed has a lot of dualsport/woods miles on it, and I really dig that it will FLEX instead of break, in the event of a crash. What I don't like is that each time we stop for a picture or to watch someone attempt an obstacle, I have to unwrap it and rewrap it. Ya, It only takes five seconds, but I could have been popping a wheelie in those five seconds instead. ;-) It's VERY tough, simple, and packs small enough to put three in a toolkit without noticing.

The second one I don't have nearly as many miles on. Maybe 300 miles of woods riding I guess. I really like that it adapts to any size bars from about 5/8" to 1 1/4" in about a second. And that it allows for quick removal of the phone without unwrapping. It doesn't pack as flat/small as the other one, but the convenience is nice.

Either of which I have trusted through hard enduros, and they have performed fine. A simple street ride would be easy peas for them to handle.
    hogmaine likes this.
  14. greer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, folks. We'll read up on mounts while we wait for the phone, and may wait to have the phone in hand before we decide. Thanks again for the help.

Sarah
  15. gcfishguy

gcfishguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not to yap for no reason, but Samsung S5. It's what I still have for a phone, it's getting old enough that they should be cheap to buy used, and with the charging door closed they can sit on the bottom of a swimming pool for a half hour. (tested and video'd on yootoobz.)
    It has the option of being charged by a regular usb micro (?) plug, OR by the style of plug that has the micro plus another right beside it. I bought 3 cables for like 99 cents on ebay that have a right angle double-wide plug so they stay plugged in, and come out the side and run along the bottom edge of the phone so they don't vibrate nearly as much as a 'stick-out' plug, plus with the double-wide, it's plugged in way more solid.
    The otterbox defender case kit comes with a snap-in cradle which got two holes drilled into it to attach a RAM ball to the back of it. (Can't used screws/bolts because the heads are too thick and will contact the screen or the back of the phone (depending which way you put it in...I used two zip ties, then some hot glue) The cradle stays on the bike, the S5 in the defender case snaps into the cradle (SNAPS) and works like a charm. It's never showed signs of coming loose, even after an unexpected downhill washout dismount. The actual case has saved my phone from certain destruction several times on its own, but the fact that the kit comes with that cradle is icing on the cake for mounting on the bike.
  16. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    If its an S5 and not a Neo or Active you can also get a wireless adaptor and/or extended capacity battery.

This is one of my next experiments trying to make rig a wireless phone mount.