Cheap Waterproof Luggage Solution From REI

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Canuman, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    I don't know how long these will be available, but for the price they are pretty good.

http://www.rei.com/product/785138/seattle-sports-deluxe-deck-bag-special-buy

This is a sea-kayak deck bag, but if one squints at it properly, it's obvious it will function as a small pannier, tank bag, top bag or a variety of other applications. The straps make them pretty simple to lash up. There's a reflective panel on the bottom. In my experience, the zipper closure is actually fairly dry -- it's the same one used on dry suits. The best thing is that REI is offering 20% off one item just now, and free shipping, so a pair can be had for $43.00 USD or a single bag for $19.00 !

Seattle Sports Deck Bag.jpg
  2. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Thanks, got to be worth 20 bucks to try :thumb
  3. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's the size for those that are curious.

14 x 13 x 6 inches
    791 cubic inches

I might just order one to try it out.

Thanks for posting this up.
  4. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Good find! Thanks for posting. I've been looking for a dry tailbag. Even though these aren't completely waterproof they look to be a good option and easier than a dry bag.
    If nothing else I actually have kayaks and can use it as a deck bag.
  5. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can also jsut use a regular roll top dry bag from the same company. Sierra trading post has them for $13, regualr price. They do not have all the fancy webbing loops though.

The reviews say these are "splash proof", but not water proof. Porbably good enough for rain and creek crossing.
  6. Canuman

Oddometer:
    I've used these in the past on kayaks. Not submersible, but about as dry as anything with a zipper hopes to be. The zipper is a dry-suit item, and seals well. There's a gap where the zipper pulls come together which can let water enter. For the average rider, if you're in that much water, you have other issues to contend with.
  7. ADVOly

ADVOly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ordered one of these on Friday 12/9 based on this post and some others I found when researching. I got it today 12/12 and it is really nice.
    It is a little bigger than I thought. It appears it will hold a rain suit, tools, etc for a long day no problem.
    And best of all the blue is a pretty close match to my bike's trim.:wink:
  8. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine came today too. Looks like it will be handy for things I want easy access, but dry.
  9. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Roll-tops are more watertight then "waterproof" zippers.
  10. thumpididump

thumpididump MacGyver

Oddometer:
  11. Mike Ryder

Mike Ryder Kriegerkuh Supporter

Oddometer:
    http://www.northwater.com/
  12. Mike Ryder

Mike Ryder Kriegerkuh Supporter

Oddometer:
    no sure what happened there CANUMAN, I seem to have messed up quoting you.WTF
  13. Canuman

Oddometer:
    I'll get over it.
  14. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Oh, yeah -- spray some silicone on the zippers. It saves endless grief later.

Got mine today and rough mounted them to the KLR. Looks good. I'll use them for light stuff -- fleece, sleeping bags and the like. I'm pretty pleased. They are versatile and fairly well built. As you can see, I have a ton of money into my top box system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Kestrel

Kestrel Gear Driven Cams!!

Oddometer:
    Would you guys mind commenting on the quality of this bag? I'm considering purchasing one to use as a top bag for the rear of my XR250L. Do you feel that this bag is appropriate size to fit near the near of the seat and on the rear fender?

Also, do you feel that it is robust enough to deal with holding a small toolpouch, snacks, extra clothing and so on?

Appreciate the info!
  16. guavadude

Oddometer:
    I just got mine yesterday and haven't road tested it but I was surprised how much bigger in person it is.
    I was able to load up a tool bag, small air pump, rainsuit, water bottle, first aid and some other crap and still have room left over. It snaps on my bike perfectly with four buckle straps and there's enough strap left over to safety tie it as well.
    The only thing I'm a little concerned about are the zippers. One works great and the other hangs and is hard to close.
    Hoping a little lube will help. I added some adhesive velcro to the zipper flap and I imagine it's now almost completely waterproof.
    Totally worth $20. I'll give it a shot and if it doesn't work I'll probably move to a pelican 1520.

The reflective panel on the side works!

Attached Files:

17. Canuman

Oddometer:
    I have a LOT (repeat) a LOT of experience with dry bags. If I were to do a critique of this for the hard-core paddling community, here's the downsides:

This bag is made of a mid-weight PVC/polyester laminate. It won't stand much dragging over rocks, but it is far better than the $12.00 dry bags from Wal-Mart, or the clear, non-fabric backed ones from other sources. There have been some failure reports on the fastenings. RF welding (how this is made) is a proven technique, and completely watertight, which makes these are very solid gear for the money. The ones I got (on the death-expedition scale) rate at about a 7 out of 10 for fit and finish. I wouldn't put it at Maravia standards, but it's very nice kit for a twenty.

I used these as a kayak guide. Under normal conditions, things stay dry. These will certainly stand up to heavy rain. The stiffener system is much better than the ones from Wolfman. (Sorry, Wolfie, I love ya, but you need to work on that.)

The stupid choice was to put two zipper pulls on the closure. There's a tiny gap where water can enter. Dry-suit zippers are, in fact, almost completely dry when made with only one pull. They were developed by NASA for space suits (at a much higher standard than these) and can be made airtight, or nearly so. If one were to do some surgery and cut off the second pull, this bag would be almost submersible, but less convenient.

If you're going to cut off the second zipper pull, be careful, and go slow. A pair of heavy diagonal cutters will do the job in nibbles. Cut where it engages the zipper rack and let it drop away. The trade-off in this is that the bag isn't as easy to use, and you will need to lube the zipper as often you lube the chain. Use silicone, WD40 or similar for both. Purists will choose silicone, but petroleum jelly or gear oil or motor oil or spit will also work. Oil will eventually degrade things, but how long do you expect to live anyway?

Lubricate the zippers. Don't overload the straps. These bags will not sustain a heavy vertical load, as the back of the bag was designed as the load carrying surface. Packed flat on the back of the bag, you can load bricks into this thing. Don't use it unsupported vertically for heavy loads, it will tear apart.

To modify the flaws, I'd suggest going to these sites:

http://www.nrsweb.com/ and looking at PVC D-rings for mounting.

Stabond adhesive works well gluing stuff like D-rings and patches onto PVC bags, if you're a mad scientist and a home gear designer.

For all things strap and webbing, these guys can't be beat:

https://www.strapworks.com/

The rain is no respecter of persons, and the snow doesn't give a cold white damn who it touches. ee cummings
  18. guavadude

Oddometer:
    more good links!
    What do you recommend to lube the zips?
    thanks
  19. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Most available is silicone lube, at any auto parts store. A can will last a lifetime, you only need a dab. If you really want to go esoteric, Smooth-on mold release is hot stuff, and not damaging to most hydrocarbon based forms of life. Besides, Smooth-on is going to help us against the coming Zombie invasion:

Checkit out: http://www.smooth-on.com/
  20. Dcc46

Dcc46 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

great quality and it is robust enough to hold tools , clothes etc...