Cheep Bike Challenge <$1500

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by nedodjija, Jul 7, 2009.

1. motorcyclefanatic

motorcyclefanatic The name says it all

Oddometer:
    Last one in the trilogy.

After striking out with Bandit and Ascot trying to put my wife on something she would like, I ended up finding this VTR250 on CL for $1000. Didn't really have to do a whole to it; new tires, front brake, general maintenance and cleanup. And this one she liked and is still riding it.

[​IMG]
    davyjones, JCool, Dao1 and 4 others like this.
  2. ben2go

ben2go I am Ben! Hear me snore!

Oddometer:
    I don't care what anyone says. Those B4's are sweet little machines.

Nice transformation. I wouldn't even think it was the same bike.
    motorcyclefanatic likes this.
  3. ben2go

Oddometer:

Nice ride. Oh and good deal on the bike. :photog
    motorcyclefanatic likes this.
  4. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    I saw a Bandit 400 on CL for $1200, IIRC it was in the SFO area. I'd love to have one, but that's a long haul for me, and right now I'm in the market for a buddy bike with legs. Looking at an deal on an FZ1, also keeping my eyes open for a Honda 919 deal. I want a buddy bike that can do a Death valley day ride or a Baja week without drama.

I picked this up a couple of years ago from a friend of a friend. It sat for 2 years, then he decided he wanted to ride it again. He put in a new battery, but it wouldn't start. Then he changed the oil, but it still wouldn't start. So he sold it to me for $450. I had it running (sorta, just proof of life) 30 minutes after getting it home, and a good carb cleaning later and we had a great running starter bike for my sis, her first. A year or so later she sold it for $1600 when she moved over to the dark side with a Honda Shadow.

[​IMG]

Here's my current short list. If I can work a deal on the FZ1, I'll jump on it but the guy is going through a separation and divorce, and I think the ex wants a piece of it. While he's getting that sorted out, I quietly suggested that he take down his CL ad, and just text me when he gets things straightened out and he's ready to sell it.
    The other 2 are kinda on the upper edge of what I want to spend, but basically I'm just watching and waiting, because this is buyer's season- the no man's land between Thanksgiving and tax return time when winter arrives, people need cash, and prices drop to ridiculous lows.
    [​IMG]
    davyjones and TonyKZ1 like this.
  5. dpforth

dpforth no inline fours

Oddometer:
    Ha, that colour scheme looks familiar :lol3
    [​IMG]
    I bought mine for a couple hundred bucks, so I guess it belongs here too.
    davyjones and motorcyclefanatic like this.
  6. WoodrowBDR

WoodrowBDR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My first dual sport. Purchased in 2015 with about 12k on the clock. Pics are the day i bought it. And the day i sold it. 20150711_132250.jpg 20160924_181059.jpg
  7. ben2go

Oddometer:
    Sweet DR.
  8. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    That Ascot turned out GORGEOUS... and I recognized the headlight that it came with, my Bandit 600 had one of those on it when I bought it.
    I couldn't get that headlight off fast enough, removing that headlight "thing" was the first thing I did to the bike!
    [​IMG]
  9. WoodrowBDR

WoodrowBDR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Found it on craiglist $1400. I spent about a thousand to freshen up the carb/filters, balance chain and a few extras. Put 3.5k trouble free miles on it which included the IDBDR.
    20160628_192226.jpg
    davyjones and ben2go like this.
  10. jdgretz

jdgretz Looking for new places

Oddometer:
    Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
    I miss Jaxed.com - that was a great way to search CL nationwide with all the parameters of a local search. Too bad CL shut them down :topes

So what are folks using to search these days?

jdg
  11. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    Searchtempest
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  12. robbie0365

robbie0365 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought one just like it last year. Low miles, didn't need anything. Freshly rebuilt brakes & rear shock, decent/recent tyres and chain set.
    I paid ca. $ 500......including a spare engine, wiring loom etc.etc.

Bought it as a temporary lightweight bike to carry around with my RV. Temporary as until my Morini 350/500 roadster is finished....
    davyjones likes this.
  13. MightyManfred

MightyManfred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ended up putting a digital read-out GPS speedometer on my bike as I could not get the stock unit working. Also found a luggage rack. IMG-20171213-00083.jpg
    davyjones, TonyKZ1 and Titlerider like this.
  14. Scooterdoodler

Scooterdoodler Long timer

Oddometer:
    I paid $300 for this derelict 2003 Suzuki 650 Burgman several months ago. It hadn't been ridden since 2015, and then only one time, and hadn't been licenced since 2012.
    IMG_20171109_145858539_HDR.jpg

It's since been taken to a willing dealership, who got it running for me for another $540 in shop time and parts. So I'm now at $840 with it, but it's now licensed and insured, and running very well again considering what it looked like just two months ago.
    IMG_20171127_105738570.jpg

IMG_20171215_142234892_HDR.jpg

It still looks like crap, but by next summer it will no longer be ugly (to me anyway), as I will be doing a lot of cosmetic improvements on it, but by that time, it will have exceeded that '$1500 and under' requirement. But for now anyway, it's running well, with under $1000 in it.
  15. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    I have bought and sold two Burgman 650s since 2008, both sold for profit.
    I still own two of them in different locations for my metro commutes.
    All of my Burgman 650s were purchased under $2.5k, some purchased under $2k; all of them are 05 through 07 models under 4-6k mi.
    None of them ever needed work, just consumables, oil/filter/coolant/tires/brakes/fork seals/fork oil, etc.
    The early 03 models seems to have tendency to have exploding drive clutch gear once mileage get above 16k.
    If you can get used to the riding position, it's the last bike you'd likely need.
    Rock solid performance, minimal maintenance, twist-n-go with triple digit speed capability, large enough underseat storage compartment for two full face helmets.
    When you get tired of replacing rear tire at $100 a pop every 8-9k miles, go darkside; $65 winter/ice car tire mounts easily onto the rear rim, 16-20k mi. with minimal tire wear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  16. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
    it's $1500 buy in, so you're good. keep us posted.
    Scooterdoodler likes this.
  17. Runaway Train

Runaway Train The Left-Right Tourer

Oddometer:
    ...and with this tire you probably don't need to use a kickstand.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]
  18. REALGRAVEROBBER

REALGRAVEROBBER LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer:
    Total fluke of a good deal here. $1,100 total invested. Bought from CL for $800, with a cracked radiator, and slight wobble to the front wheel. New Chinese-made radiator from eBay $100, and front wheel repaired for $200.

2011 Yamaha Fz8. 10,000 miles. Runs and looks like new. Wish these kind of deals happened more often. Bike is up for sale to pay down some college debts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. REALGRAVEROBBER

REALGRAVEROBBER LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer:
    2003 Crf450R bought for $1,000. Runs like new now. Had NO valve clearance all around, thankfully the cam is still in spec. Swapped shims, cleaned the spark plug, and she runs like new now.

Also removed the fancy pants FMF PowerCore 4 full exhaust and listed it on eBay for $250. Put on a fine used stock exhaust system for $50. Listed for sale tonight and already have some interested potential buyers.

Apparently, a lot of motocross enthusiasts turn their noses up at new-technology 4 strokes like these, once they are over 6ish years old. Hey it still serves its purpose, spare parts are abundant and cheap, a lot of positives to B-side motorbikes in my opinion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  20. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer

Oddometer:

Back on the road again!

The 70 miles test ride went very well-- my first shakedown run lasted literally about 15 feet (carb/coils), the 2nd one lasted about 3 miles (brake fluid return blockage): and today 70 miles with only 1 issue noticed-- the neutral light comes on in 2nd gear sometimes. Pulled to redline a couple times, cruises fine at 80; runs heated grips and heated vest and gloves and still puts out 13 volts with that load once past 2000 rpm.

Though it looks ok in pictures and from 20 feet away, the bodywork cosmetics are crappy (especially the red decals): a result of being stored outside not completely covered for a couple years before I bought it. I'm hoping for some more reasonable weather to ride it some more. Not sure what I'm doing with it now. Paint and resto-mod is a possibility; as is selling it or the other one. Or riding it as is and keep them both. No rush.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

PS: it's not a $1.500 bike anymore :lol3
    davyjones, JCool, dsilver1007 and 5 others like this.