Cheep Bike Challenge <$1500

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by nedodjija, Jul 7, 2009.

1. YJake

YJake PAR Nation

Oddometer:
    ACF-50 and 0000-Steel Wool.

IMG_5085.JPG

-Jake
    davyjones, fxray, Richy and 3 others like this.
  2. OJ-J

OJ-J Chillin

Oddometer:
    Scored a new to me upper fairing off ebay and swapped it out last night, that's it for fixing all the left side damage from the PO.

[​IMG]

Not bad for 3 weeks time, I think I've decided to keep it. :-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    davyjones, Richy, FTL900 and 8 others like this.
  3. OLD GREEN

OLD GREEN Long timer

Oddometer:

Damn Dude, that's the best looking $1,500 slash five that I've seen in a long time. What's the scoop, and do you want to make a quick hundred bucks? :lol3
    deafanddiabetic likes this.
  4. CafeDude

CafeDude Ride to eat.....

Oddometer:
    LOL, yeah this is another one that found ME. I wish I had space, I'd keep it. But it's up for sale on evil bay now. (Sorry for the shameless plug). lol.
  5. warmas1

warmas1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    deafanddiabetic and jas67 like this.
  6. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Wow! You stole that classic Airhead for $1500! If I saw that I'd have bought it too, even though I have three BMWs already.
  7. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    I really like those bikes. Be careful of the aluminum wheels. For any off road riding, look for TTR225 or TTR230 wheels which are steel and a straight swap. It's a popular upgrade with the XT owners.
  8. ben2go

ben2go I am Ben! Hear me snore!

Oddometer:
    Is there a forum spec'd for the XT? I know there's a good thread here but everything is all jumbled up in there.
  9. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    XT225.com or Thumpertalk.
    ben2go likes this.
  10. warmas1

warmas1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I thought it was a good deal. I only have 2 airheads but want another. It makes no sense at all, but I can't help myself.
    I guess there is no antidote. The other brands of bike have no appeal.
    ozcruiser likes this.
  11. ben2go

Oddometer:
    Thanks. :thumb
  12. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer

Oddometer:
    That seems like a very good score. Congrats.

Great time to be buying 80's bikes; especially in decent - mostly decent condition.

And there are plenty of terrific 80's bikes that are still fun to ride with little compromise.
    ben2go likes this.
  13. Richy

Richy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m about to go through the $1500 ceiling but the old thing is coming along-Yesterday-
    9016B9BC-7700-4F25-B2E3-7E58FBC6B875.jpeg
    Today-
    12495342-3951-487A-8356-C2796E5B0BEE.jpeg
    Still needs some things but with only 5K miles, it’s worth the time and a few bucks.
  14. REALGRAVEROBBER

REALGRAVEROBBER LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer:

1996 Arctic Cat Powder Special. Bought last summer for $200. New jackshaft bearings $35. Repainted hood, and new seat cover $130. Total invested $365. Selling it for $950 on friday, to pay down some debts.

In my opinion, these older 600cc-ish (this one is the famously-reliable 580cc twin) machines are just right. Not the gas-guzzler 800+cc things.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. ben2go

Oddometer:
    I'm not a snow machine guy but that's a pretty nice looking sled.
  16. REALGRAVEROBBER

REALGRAVEROBBER LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer:
    Bought for $800 last year. Polished up well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2004 Crf450r. Just at the $1500 mark on this one.

New:
    rear tire, tube $39
    Sprockets $30, chain $25
    Spark plug $4, throttle cables ($11)
    Grips $4, front number plate $13
    [​IMG]
    Clean the thing for about 10 hours ...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1997 Honda xr200r. Bought for $300 as a basket case, that was a project that passed througha few different owners all disassembled. I assembled it and it runs like a new bike.
    New:
    rear tire, tube. $75
    Chain. $20. Seat cover $30. Can of Krylon hammerplate finish gray, and BBQ-paint for all gloss black parts.
    WiseCo piston, rings, etc. Spark plug $95. $10 of xacto blades to scrape old plastics to looking better.
    Outlaw eBay carb kit. $24
    Fork seals, used ATF for fork oil. $11
    All new cables: $20 (only 2 on the whole bike!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Saw this for sale, asking 1400. I offered them 1500 in cash if they held it for me for 2 days. Thankfully they did. So I bought it for 1500. I put some non-essential farkles on it (steering damper $200 total, acerbis big tank $90), but thats it. 2009 klx450r. All valves were totally tight, no clearance at all. Once set right, it runs like new. A keeper for myself.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    Good bump, it's been a while
  18. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    right1.jpg

Bought it for $200 in 2003 or 2004. Was in a shed just covered in dust and dirt and grossness, but... the paint underneath all that nastiness was in remarkable shape! Meguiers 3-step clean, polish, and wax got it looking pretty great. The headers were rusty, so they got painted black. I polished all the aluminum and repainted all the emblems. Put mini signals on it and the small bags you see. Anything rusty was replaced (fenders, grab rail, airbox covers, etc). I thought the original taillight was huge and ugly, and it was all rusted, so I put a tombstone taillight on it. Mostly because I had one from another project. It worked, but I would find something better if I had the bike today. I probably had $600 in it total. I rode it for a year or two and sold it for $1500. Compared to my V65 Magna, it was... well, nothing special. It had no torque down low and the charging system was crap. Was a really pretty bike, but it just wasn't that much fun to ride.

Charles.
  19. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Free is under $1500, right? Got this beauty for nothing!

before.jpg

Fortunately, my father left me a bunch of CX and GL parts when he died. Enough to make several bikes, if only I can find titled frames. And the frame above was titled! Half the frame was rusted, but it had a title. So I stripped it, repaired the rusted frame, and this happened:

gl500_bags.jpg

Sold this one for $1600. Had nothing but time into it.

Charles.
  20. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    IMGP1009.JPG

Bought this for $500. Owner "had to lay it down" and slid the bike under a car. The timing cover broke off, and a hunk of the case broke off as well. There's oil in the timing cover, so... yeah, problem.

IMGP2045.JPG

Didn't know if I was going to part it out or save it... bought a new trigger wheel and hall sensors (they were toast), and... damn if it didn't fire right up! Couldn't really run or ride it with oil spewing out a busted cover, though. So... epoxy putty (the steel stick stuff) to the rescue. Repaired the busted boss, and used a piece of 3/4" thick aluminum and the putty to repair the case.

IMGP2506.JPG

Then I snagged a new timing cover, used double gaskets with some permatex (dried on the gasket, then assembled. Done the right way!) and only had the slightest of weeps. Good enough for a $500 bike. I paid around $100 for the repair parts and a new clutch lever. Cosmetically the bike was in great shape. I rode it for a good long time, at least 10k miles on the repair.

Charles.