Cheep Bike Challenge <$1500

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by nedodjija, Jul 7, 2009.

1. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    That's a great find.
  2. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    pretty stunning shape, looks to be as clean and as dirty as my 125 that came off one of the islands
  3. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I don't think I could have said no to that one.
    Fleksta likes this.
  4. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    ^ A CB350 with stock pipes. That may be the last one on the planet.
  5. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great fine and price a friend of mine got $4000 for his show room looking 71,love that green.
  6. Ray916MN

Ray916MN Dim Mak

Oddometer:
    Bought this off Craigslist last fall. '96 GSXR750 SRAD Was listed for $1300. Hadn't run in 9 years. Mid 25K miles. Seller's only ad picture.

[​IMG]

An Indian dealer was having a test ride day. There was a wait to test ride the FTR1200 and the dealer wasn't too far from where this bike was, so I figured I'd check the GSXR out and come back and test the FTR1200. The bike was stock except for a tinted windscreen and complete with no signs of every having been crashed. Engine was free, inside of the gas tank was ugly. Paint was worn. Adding everything up, my estimate was $3K to restore it. I offered $400 telling the seller I hoped he wouldn't accept the offer. He smiled and said the junkyard had offered him $350 and the bike was mine.

Take the bodywork off and surprise, surprise, the carbs are nicely sealed off and no signs of Mickey or his friends.

[​IMG]

Here it is mid service. Carbs rebuilt and synced, valves adjusted,motor confirmed to be good. Forks, and shocks off for service. Wheels off to get new rubber. Fuel tank out getting cleaned and sealed. The tank was the most expensive thing to address aside from the paint. The internal fuel pump ($300+ part) was destroyed by corrosion. Coating the tank, replacing the fuel pump, pump mount seal and rebuilding the petcock was over $500,

[​IMG]

Pretty much right on budget, including a stock windscreen, but not including the used Hindle titanium full exhaust system, I couldn't resist buying.

[​IMG]
  7. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    oh man ida JUMPED at that without thought,,i LOVE the 90s sport bikes, they look blazingly fast just sitting still
    JagLite likes this.
  8. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    I think you could get $5K for that around here
  9. Ray916MN

Ray916MN Dim Mak

Oddometer:
    Looked for one of these for about 5 years. They are tough bikes to find in clean original condition or in restorable condition. So many got irreversibly modified (eg polished frame) or destroyed. Most paint schemes had graphics that can't be reproduced (faux carbon fiber or checker flag fades) and are no longer available from Suuzki. Lastly of course most lived hard lives. I was lucky on this one. I bought an '86 GSXR1100 four years ago which I took a similar gamble on, which turned out to have a spun crank bearing which destroyed the crank, lots of top end wear, and lots of other problems which I'm still working on completing....
  10. brg

brg 1977 XT500, 2000 ST1100, 1995 r100r Mystic

Oddometer:
    Picked this up a few months back. Returned it to stock condition, all said and done after selling off the aftermarket bits, I have about $600.00 in as it sits.
    dr650_098.jpg
    Franque, nuggets, AlfromNH and 4 others like this.
  11. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    man I drooled over those as a kid. Those 750s are so fun to ride compared to a 1000 IMO. You win the thread :beer
  12. bsaschields

bsaschields Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rusty ol thing I paid 800 dollars for last summer. But it runs great ....

[​IMG]
    radguzzi, doc4216, JagLite and 9 others like this.
  13. feisty

feisty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sensational find. Looks perfect just the way it is.
    JagLite, jwaller and bsaschields like this.
  14. neil p

neil p Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's my 500 euro '96 Honda I picked up a few years with 15000 km.

20181001_180712.jpg

Cleaned the carbs and fresh rubber to sell it on. But it turns out to be a lot of fun. So it stayed.
    20180930_202154.jpg

Now upto 30000km of weekend rides a bit of touring and
    a couple of trackdays. 20180930_192540.jpg
  15. NurseBill

NurseBill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My kid's $800 purchase last year, 92 Honda VLX600 with about 11k on the clock. Rebuilt the carbs and forks, replaced the chain and sprockets. Runs like a champ. Then he started school, moved out and got short on cash. So this year he managed to insure it and get tags. And better footwear

IMG_20190625_202601037.jpg

Attached Files:

16. Franque

Franque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As much as I hate cruisers, particularly Japanese cruisers (no real improvement on the American ones, but uglier, other than Victories), the VLX was a ton of fun the couple of times that I rode one. Nice buy!
    NurseBill likes this.
  17. NurseBill

NurseBill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was his great uncle's that he bought in like 94 or 95 . I'm just lucky he kept the stock pipes. It had drag pipes on it.

Here's the whole thread on it. https://advrider.com/f/threads/paying-knowledge-forward-my-kids-budget-600-shadow.1377381/
  18. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thread mini-bump.

People should know how under the radar great these bikes are. I was just thinking about them the other day, rode my friends quite a few times, and once took it on a 1,200 mile RT ride to Death Valley. They don't seem like it but they are awesome sport tour bikes. I guess it may depend on your size, but it fit me (5'9" 160 lbs) like a glove, and lowish bars usually don't work well for me for long periods. They were in the US for nearly 10 years but rarely do I see a good one for sale - yours looks the part.
    nuggets and JagLite like this.
  19. nuggets

nuggets It's all my fault...

Oddometer:
    You are correct. It's a really solid bike, and certainly underappreciated. I would have kept it, except I am failing to muster any enthusiasm to ride on the paved roads.
  20. Feo

Feo Commentator

Oddometer:
    I forgot about this thread Saturday. I set-up a deal between 2 friends, met up with the seller to take possession of the bike, delivered it to buyer's house.

I won't divulge price, but it qualifies for this thread.

One crappy photo. Bike in background. :lol3

20200516_105351.jpg