Cheep Bike Challenge <$1500

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by nedodjija, Jul 7, 2009.

1. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    i wouldnt worry about it too much, think about the kids that probably visited that would play with he bike stationary

if someone was checking it over after being stuck youd probably have found the plug and gas cap both missing.....
    wow only the seat cover...thats quite good, signals im sure came off in the 70s lol

what does whats in the tank "smell" like....as far as it looking oil like it could be the remains of leaded gas, or...someone was running it on 2 smoke which....wouldnt surprise me in the slightest
  2. JKady

JKady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Vaguely oil like in the oil tank I mean (These are a dry sump, oil in frame deal). Gas cap hasn't been off in many years and I don't feel like breaking it at the moment. I did notice that the choke is on, so it may well be as simple as someone got kicked back and walked away from it.
    JagLite likes this.
  3. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    HAHAH kicked like a mule on rotten gas pissed em off and they parked it
    JagLite likes this.
  4. ZVossler

ZVossler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    CB750K4, bought off 2nd owners widow with lots of ugly touring stuff. Less than $1500 into it even after returning to stock. This is a keeper, best color.

486B1B8C-9106-420A-BCFA-19B2E12971A2.jpeg
    CCitis, spokester, ADVDucs33 and 23 others like this.
  5. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    Had one as my first bike . Traded a 35 mm camera along with 200 bucks for it . Dam tough bike but the chain snapped holing the crank case like they can . ( if your young dumb and to broke to buy parts ) Still ran for another year with water getting inside and mixing with oil.
  6. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    its a stunning color, same as the xl100 ive got, looks like a very clean rig, i wouldnt mind seeinghow it looked with tthe touring bits just for curiosity
  7. ZVossler

ZVossler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Price on the bike is when they had it for sale at a yard sale, I obviously didn’t pay that or it wouldn’t be in this thread. Fishing net also not included... that’s what jacked the price up so much. 6CF6E09F-000F-4E32-98B0-303799786007.jpeg
    ADVDucs33, JagLite and Draechon like this.
  8. mglsite

mglsite Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fill the cylinder up with ATF and let it sit for a few days, it will free up.
    TonyKZ1, JagLite and GotDammitDave like this.
  9. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    "if" it fails to free, add some diesel to the atf, and heat the OUTSIDE of the cyl all the way around, let cool and come back tommaro....i did this on a spare lloyd engine that was siezed...i pulled the head and just assumed it was a lost cause so i used it as am experement, diesel/atf combo gets a nice deep cutting soak, but heating the jugs helps work the atf/D combo into the stuckness....i was heating to the point of smoke coming off the combo

the end results spoke for themselves, outside of a very VERY light polishing mostly to just assure everything was clean...everything is useable...even the rings
    TonyKZ1 and JagLite like this.
  10. JKady

JKady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Turns out it wasn't anything internal holding her up, wherever it sat the mag cover was exposed to a fair bit of water and filled up and rusted the flywheel to the stator. I pulled the cover to put a ratchet on the flywheel nut and got nothing so I went ahead and pulled it so I could pick the crank seal out and get a look at the bearings. Bearings looked good, so I gave it a kick and painted the side of the house with ATF/Acetone.
    van the man, TonyKZ1, JagLite and 4 others like this.
  11. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    HAHAHAH well atleast it should be an easy fix then
    JagLite likes this.
  12. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    I'll have to try the diesel fuel in my stuck 64 CB77. I bought it a few years back as a future rebuild project just because its such a cool bike. But the engine is stuck/rusted. I've had it soaking with ATF for a long time, but its still stuck. One piston is free because the ATF gets past the rings, but the other cylinder has yet to let go.
  13. Franque

Franque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ATF and acetone are even better, from what I've heard.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis likes this.
  14. bearcat1

bearcat1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That brought back a similar memory! I had an old "free" barn find CB900C, took the plugs out, filled it with ATF and promptly forgot about that. Later after installing a fresh battery I hit the start button to see what she would do... effectively sprayed myself and the side of the garage...:bluduh
    JagLite, TonyKZ1 and Dusty Pipes like this.
  15. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pics later, but picked up a 1999 XR650L for $200 today after a heads up from a racing friend. Motor was nuked with lack of oil, but luckily, seems it escaped major damage. Parts order and a session with machinist coming in next couple days. Guy kept the tank, plastics and seat spotless, but didn’t touch a damn thing on the rest of it. I think I’ll blow by the $1500 all in after parts and machinist is paid, but think I’ll be in just short of $2k by the end.
    JagLite, Franque and TonyKZ1 like this.
  16. oranges3

oranges3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After pics
    $2100 Total spent IMG_0365.jpg IMG_0369.jpg
  17. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice find! Good update/restoration.

Funny, looking at the left side, it seems empty compared to the right. It makes me wonder about running the rear cylinder's exhaust pipe down the left side ... I suppose that might make both sides odd. (Don't mind me, just some coffee propelled ramblings.)
    Overdog likes this.
  18. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Nice Vulcan grab! The earlier model VN1500 had the rear cylinder exhaust port to the left rear. It may be possible to use the older model head on this bike and go with exhaust on each side.

I have a VN1600 Classic with V&H Bigshots pipes on the right side, which looks great. But I too feel the left side of bike looks empty, unfinished, unbalanced and the lower left frame looks hacked off with no exhaust there. All makes the drive shaft system look odd too. I'm converting my Classic to a Nomad with an exhaust on each side under the saddlebags.
  19. mach1mustang351

mach1mustang351 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven’t gotten to play here in a while... it’s good to be back!!!

bought this:

506D4247-4F2A-4EDD-AEDA-59C315245EFD.jpeg

and im 30 min, I made it way better!!!

FB9E0066-DC80-4B4F-84FB-686E48C97D6A.jpeg
    ausfahrt, JagLite, Andyvh1959 and 7 others like this.
  20. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    i can honestly say ive never been a fan of the big body work, and ive never seen a wing without em in person...they are such pretty bikes without all the plastic cladding

now tell me..whats the lil guy on the tool box?...its got spokes so that rules out a honda as well as the kawi 50-75's, yet its obviously an OLD kids bike pre 85
    Kai Ju and mach1mustang351 like this.