Cheep Bike Challenge <$1500

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by nedodjija, Jul 7, 2009.

1. mach1mustang351

mach1mustang351 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    garage pics are fun... kind of like “I Spy” books!!

97D29996-A8FB-4A99-9C1D-46A7294469F1.jpeg

it’s my Mini Bambino Indian. My dad bought it for me when I was 8 days old and we shipped it up form CA when my wife was pregnant with our son.

I guess technically that one qualifies for this thread too!! $300 shipping from CA to AK
  2. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    yes but that bikes FAMILY at that point, id KILL for my 1980 z50 that we got new off the showroom floor from beaverton honda, but once id overly outgrown it i had a choice...sell it and moms mr175 and get an xr250..i opted for plan b..give me moms mr175, which ive still got atleast

i had no idea indian made a kids bike, thats pretty slick..it looks huge and im sure its an ilusion, i mean at some angles the ole z50s look pretty big too

but you reminded me, i had a friend who was "scrappin" and happened across a couple kids bikes asked if i might want em, told him if he can bring em down sure, a month later i had a chineese replica..not even an srr or anything..but some usefull parts, and a KV75 that while a bit rough around the edges is about 95% complete, and snuggled right into my z50 horde

speaking of horde, every z50 ive got would fit in this thread, most of which rode home on the back of my zr-7s, and were grabbed on the cheep...i think the MOST i paid for any one of them was 300? for the 96 that i "what iffed" down into a 1983 XR50 had honda put their effort into it
  3. neppi

neppi Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can’t overly outgrow a Z50?!? It’s like ”leftover cuacamole”.
    1 wheel peel likes this.
  4. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    well, when your about 8 and can easily straddle your dads race canam(very early 80s), and thats what your trying to keep up with..its time

tho i do agree and thus have a sweetheart of a z50 built now, and it fits in this thread actualy.....ive got less than 800 into it and that includes the "upgrades" that i dont have pic's of, like finding the ZB front end, a set of spoke wheels and tires, hubs so i can go 8 rear 10 front, all in the name of making it a 1983 "xr50" while keeping my 84 xr250 and 83 xl600r in mind as a "point of styling referance"

i got it for 250 or 300..i dont remmber, what i do remember is running up to vancouver to meet up with a fellow inmate for something for my XL, and getting a call back after about the z50, to which i haulledass to go look at, all while on my zr-7s, which in itself is a bike in this thread..traded a cheep chineese quad for it that i got for FREE...anyway it was late fall early winter, with doom n gloom in the sky, but wasnt raining..yet...scurried up halfway to tacoma, then went east across some rivers down a few miles of grvael road up a GNARLY steep gravel driveway....all on my zr7s in my waterproofed gear n carharts

looked over the lil 96 z50 and while looking it over the owner and his buddy are talkin about 50 ft away and slightly arguing before shaking hands.....i made him and offer and he didnt even hesitate, handed me a title..which..in itself is kinda strange for a 50..as they useualy get passed around n lost, big gun pipe and some other goodies, and he asks, loudly, so when are you planing to come back for it, and i look over at his grinning buddy, and answer im taking it now...his buddys jaw dropped a bit..and he thought i was joking as i picked it up and loaded it onto my rack on my zr7,....as im tying it down i see some cash change hands...it seems they had a bet on if id take it now or come back for it

on the way home it started to pour...the kind of rain most riders wont ride in, me i dont care...z50 as my pillion, and before you thing about it much...a z50 weighs in at 115lbs wet...whats your wife weigh?? LOL.....on the almost 2 hour ride home in the slow lane, id have cars and tucks pass, then slow back down give me a thumbs up snap a pic wave and be off, i got a TON of looks that day from sobies to lifted trucks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

after having fun on it for a few weeks tuning it, realising the "spring" suspension sucked and eating it HARD a few time i blew it apart, using ppg mack truck silver, dar 9000 black and viper red, all paint i had kicking around, sandblasted EVERYTHING, re-skinned the seat in blue, and re-aranged the color combo to more closely resemble that of an XR , while waiting for paint to cure i had all of the hardware re zinc plated, new grips old rubber, didnt touch the engine since it had obviously been beefed up and didnt leak a drop, grabbed some number sheeting did her up in yellow as honda would have, added an acerbis headlight using trailtech reg/rec unit, the results speak for themselves

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

after running out of a place to ride her at will i started down the road of further XR'ing, with the ZB front end and an aftermarket longer aluminum swinger
    test rode it and loved it...but....hated the way the "matched" tire sizes looked it just bugged me HARD since to me most bikes are signiture of a bigger wheel up front smaller out back..so over the course of a few years i tracked down spokes n hoops, and shes been sitting in the z50 shelves ever since,

all said tho i feel like its the perfect "IF" honda had actualy "updated" the z50 in 1982/3 the same way they did the entire XR line, this is what it would have looked like had they moved it into an XR from the Z/monkey it was...aside from the chinese swinger, hubs, and wheel hoops shes actualy entirely honda, its the reason i hunted donw a ZB front end as i wanted to try and keep it as honda as possible, as for the acerbis headlight..well..most of the xr's ended up with em right? so why not, while id KILL for a "scaled" down super trap, the big gun actualy gives it a lil thumper sound so i dig it...its a riot to ride, and even at max speed the light output is...to die for, it gives better light than my xr250, its almost that of a single fog light on a truck

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. Husky360cr

Husky360cr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    who did the zinc plating on the hardware? Are you happy with the results?
  6. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    actualy VERY happy , the quality is good real good the sprokets were the ultimate test and have held up beautifully, it was a local shop, they cut me a nice deal on the job since i had sand blasted every last nut n bolt, i belive the entire bike worth of hardware with sprockets gas cap springs brake rods..EVERYTHING was 45-65$ as it was such a small batch it was kinda the minimum price, was told i could have tossed more in without changing the price, when i get back around to building some more z 50s as i dragged home a "truck load" of parts with 4 frames 5 or 6 engines and a whole mess of hardware etc, and over the course of a year scored atleast 6 various years of 50 from 67-86 all for 50-100$ each....ive got 4 "complete" sets to zinc, built up all as "perfect" sets with no rounding or anything, ive got enough parts between all the boxes and incomplete frames to build atleast 5 VERY nice 50's and 3-4 more "mix n match"

they were great to talk to in advance and do a whole lot more than just zinc, i talked to them about anodizing as well as i have a set of wheels i want done, and told me that they cant do anything hard enough for wheels in gold...and ive got a set of wheels i need re-gold'd for my xl600r
    it was neerly impossible to get a good shot of the zinc due to flashback, its not overly gold in fact it matches OE untouched hardware on my xr250
    Pioneer Metal Finishing

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. Husky360cr

Husky360cr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Sir!!! Everything looks exceptional
  8. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    when i talked to the shop boss he told me that they have some high end porsche race car stuff come thru every couple years, so i suspect one of the vintage race car shops up in seattle sends stuff down this way
  9. bringenufgun

bringenufgun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_5466.jpg IMG_5467.JPG IMG_5464.JPG IMG_5468.jpg IMG_5469.JPG IMG_5470.jpg IMG_5471.JPG IMG_5477.JPG one owner barn find. 10,000 miles. not ridden since the 80's. bought it just because. it and all will be ebay bound. along with dealer testing equipment, used parts, NOS parts, dealer parts manual, introduction service manual, oh and a spare wankel.
    all will be ebay bound.
    Stubanger, JagLite, TonyKZ1 and 2 others like this.
  10. aptbldr

aptbldr easy rider

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE<> oh and a spare wankel.
    all will be ebay bound.[/QUOTE]

Cool! This is second moto-thread today featuring Wankel style-engine; two brands, two posters.
  11. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    was the other one the Hercules or the Norton ? Which thread ?
  12. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Picked up another SV for $600.

01 model, under 8k miles, less than 30 miles ridden in the last 7 years, have been sitting in the last 2 years.
    Will need chain/sprockets, fork seals, all fluids, etc..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    Nice find.
    Cat0020 likes this.
  14. bringenufgun

bringenufgun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i'd of been all over that like a hobo on a ham sandwich.
    Cat0020 likes this.
  15. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
    so what part of "all will be ebay bound" is "bought it just because"?
    and how much less than $1500 you pay so we can determine how MUCH you suck.
    :lol3
  16. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Just past the pavement's end in North Alabama
    Most of my bikes cost less than $1500. In fact I kinda like the 555 concept, and have a couple of bikes that fall into that category. But here's a bike I paid $1297 for brand new, including shipping. Even with registration and insurance for the first year, it was still under $1500. My 2019 RPS Hawk 250.
    vlcsnap-2019-08-24-16h42m05s110.png
  17. Sir Denis Eton-Hogg

Sir Denis Eton-Hogg Tap into America Supporter

Oddometer:
    500 bucks key no title

B877EFE3-51A1-4289-953F-D3131480B612.jpeg
    JagLite, Stubanger and WECSOG like this.
  18. Sir Denis Eton-Hogg

Oddometer:
    Nice, I’ll buy those all day long they are excellent money makers
    mach1mustang351 likes this.
  19. Sir Denis Eton-Hogg

Oddometer:
    400 key and title, partially stripped motor, 1000cc
    6C534A9A-2B1E-41D2-886F-2ACC63D606DA.jpeg
  20. neppi

neppi Long timer