Cheep Bike Challenge <$1500

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by nedodjija, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Sir Denis Eton-Hogg

Sir Denis Eton-Hogg Tap into America Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, 1984.
    Cajunhawg and neppi like this.
  2. frugal

frugal Brit Biker

Oddometer:
    How about a 74 Z1 for $800, 12 hours round trip, but I think worth it!
    5BA60078-FFD9-4B86-97E4-108949970918.jpeg
    jas67, WECSOG, Stubanger and 9 others like this.
  3. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Something looks wrong with the front end geometry. The front down tubes are way too upright and the steering head angle looks way to steep.
    WECSOG and JagLite like this.
  4. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    Well the picture is crooked and not taken from perpendicular to the bike, so that may be part of it. The seat is what really looks wrong to me.
  5. Runaway Train

Runaway Train The Left-Right Tourer

Oddometer:
    Not original pipes either me thinks.
  6. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    I think you're right. Hard to find a pic of a similar bike from the same angle and height but this one is close and looks less steep than the red one. The header does complicate the assessment and that seat is what grabbed my attention, too. I guess some industrious person could scale off a given component common to each photo (cam centers on each engine?) and compare the axle-to-axle centers. Bent frame/fork speculation about such finds is always a hot topic on the bicycle forums.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. frugal

frugal Brit Biker

Oddometer:
    i think the tank is sitting high in the rear, by a couple inches, and the incorrect LTD seat isn't helping either. The front end appears stock to me, but missing headpipes and wrong headlight all adds to the allure
  8. Sir Denis Eton-Hogg

Oddometer:
    Pipes, seat, frame, angle, who gives a sh*t, 800 bucks is a steal, I would have driven 12 hours to get that.
  9. Sir Denis Eton-Hogg

Oddometer:
    1500 bucks so just crept in, I wouldn't usually pay that much but me an' the lads are doing the COBDR next year on Trail 90s, I've kinda cheated and bought a CT110.

IMG_1558.jpg
  10. MZRider

MZRider Neo-Luddite

Oddometer:
    Bought this on Labor Day for $1000. Needs lots of TLC. Pantah & Guzzi stuff 007.JPG
  11. Sir Denis Eton-Hogg

Oddometer:
    Oooh a grand for that, nice score.
    MotoChuck250 likes this.
  12. JKady

JKady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did it again. I rehomed my GL500 on Friday night so I could pick this V30 up from my boss, too good to pass up for $250. Key, title and he's had it running somewhat recently. Needs the usual tires/battery etc... from sitting.

PXL_20201011_194246862.jpg
    Dorzok, JagLite, TonyKZ1 and 2 others like this.
  13. ausfahrt

ausfahrt mach schnell Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm going to look at an '87 Goldwing tomorrow. Been sitting for 5 years and will start but won't stay running and it leaks gas. Elderly seller quit riding but has owned the bike since 2006. The stator thing kinda scares me but I'm going to go and check it out. 36,000 miles and he's asking $600.
    [​IMG]
  14. motorcyclefanatic

motorcyclefanatic The name says it all

Oddometer:
    I picked up this little Buell Blast that was advertised here on the forum by @msells for $550.

Overall in very nice shape with just over 10k miles. A battery and a carb cleaning had it running like a top. Came with the standard and low seats as well.

My wife is gonna love it!

Btw, he has another bike for sale in the FM that would also qualify for inclusion in this thread, and he's a great guy to deal with.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/1990-bmw-k75rt-quick-sale-atlanta-alpharetta.1471159/

IMG_0539.jpg IMG_0540.jpg IMG_0541.jpg
    Cat0020, ausfahrt, sjc56 and 2 others like this.
  15. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice, I would pick one up for that price, but around here they always seem to be $1500 and up even the rat cafe one's.
    JagLite likes this.
  16. ausfahrt

ausfahrt mach schnell Supporter

Oddometer:
    I met with the seller this morning and the pic from the ad must have been taken years ago. Lots of rust on the exhaust and brightwork. The stator connection was gone and had been replaced with electrical tape. I passed even though I could have bought it for $500.

The seller was a really nice guy and as we chatted I noticed another bike under a cover. I asked him about it and it turned out to be a 1983 R100RT that had been sitting longer than the Honda. We uncovered it and the first thing I did was look in the gas tank, it showed surface rust but didn't look too bad.

He initially wanted $3000 for the airhead but then later said that he would take $3000 for the pair. I wanted to offer him $2000 for the RT but I didn't bring that much cash with me. I may call him in a few days to make an offer on the RT and then I'll need to move this to the airhead section. Anyway, here are a couple of pics of the RT.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
    how do i put this kindly? you SUCK!!!!
  18. Sir Denis Eton-Hogg

Oddometer:
    Just scored another, 1100 but no title, has some nice touches, hand operated rear brake, LED lighting, runs really nice
    IMG_1579.jpg
    JagLite and StevieMac like this.
  19. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    A coworker/friend of the family got a CRF150R (the liquid cooled rocket) in exchange for some work they did on a house. The previous owner claimed something was going rotten in the bottom end, so they gave him an entire rebuild kit including crank, piston, cam chain, and OEM cam. He didn't want to mess with it or pay someone, so it sat for a long time. Well, his kids are grown and gone, and he lost motivation. So we exchanged $800 + an old surfboard I had lying around that his oldest wanted to restore. Crank and piston cost someone $550 at some point, so suppose I'll throw the motor on the bench soon and get it running for a christmas sale.
    JagLite likes this.
  20. motorcyclefanatic

motorcyclefanatic The name says it all

Oddometer:
    I'd check the simple stuff first.

You never know.
    Kai Ju and StevieMac like this.