Cherry Picking The GCBAR

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by redrider650, Jun 5, 2017.

1. redrider650

redrider650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cherry picking the GCBAR.
    DSC_7647_Aurora2017_HDR.jpg
    I enjoy reading ride reports, but I’ve never felt compelled to write one until now. dave6253’s ride reports and photos from his trips to the Grand Canyon to create the GCBAR (http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...y-adventure-route-the-complete-route.1121875/)
    were inspiring and I knew I have to go there someday. As it turned out, someday was the week before Memorial Day.

Two weeks earlier, we were notified that work would be shutting down for six days at the end of May.
    That would give me 8 days to ride the GCBAR. As soon as I started making plans, they started falling apart. Family responsibilities changed my departure date from May 21 to May 22. Then my sister let me know her family was coming to town for a baseball tournament on May 27. My 8 days were now 5.

I was going to have to cherry pick the parts of the GCBAR that I wanted to ride the most and leave the rest for another day. Enough background - on with the ride.
  2. redrider650

Oddometer:
    Day 1
    The plan - Ride from Riverside to Valley of Fire to camp for the night.

The family responsibilities included a trip to the DMV so I got on the road later than planned but still in plenty of time to make Valley of Fire before night fall. Unfortunately, it was still 100+ degrees when I arrived and decided to pass on camping and continued on the road to a hotel room in Mesquite. That turned out to be beneficial in the end as I was able pick up a few forgotten items a Walmart.
    DSC01361.jpg
    The only stop I made, other than gas, was to wet down my cooling vest at a rest stop outside of Baker. Mid day temp 104 degrees.
  3. Bhart89

Bhart89 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Helmet on. Ready for the visual ride.
  4. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  5. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap
    I'm much more interested in doing this ride than going to Alaska. All I need is some time .... and I'm going!
  6. redrider650

Oddometer:
    Day 2

The Plan - Camp for the night at Jumpup point.

Without the lead time to get a permit for camping at Toroweap and concerns about carrying enough fuel, I decided to save Toroweap and Bar 10 ranch for another time. I would instead take Hwy 9 - 59 - 389 out of Saint George to FR22 and finally Jumpup point to spend the night. So I’m riding the GCBAR backwards which would turn out to be less than ideal later in the trip.
    DSC01362.jpg DSC01364.jpg
    The road out to Jumpup point was probably my favorite of the trip. Challenging enough in spots to keep it interesting with changing terrain and elevation. Once I arrived, I chose a sheltered spot behind some trees to pitch the tent and then did a little exploring. Dinner was dehydrated ground beef and noodles with cream sauce. It sucked. With a moonless night, I set up for some night photography and waited. It was worth the wait.

DSC_7522.jpg

Here's a quick clip of the ride to Jumpup point.
    thirsty 1, KLRalph, WDG and 9 others like this.
  7. redrider650

Oddometer:
    Day 3

The Plan - Visit the North Rim Lodge and camp at Buck farm point.

I woke up at first light and got a few more pics as the sun rose. Breakfast was dehydrated huevos rancheros. It sucked.

DSC_7559_Aurora2017_HDR.jpg
    DSC_7556.jpg

I packed up and headed back out and followed the tracks to Crazy Jugs.Too bad they put the fences up. It looks like it would have been a good place to camp. I decided to skip the other nearby overlooks and make a fast run for the North Rim Lodge. I rode out to Point Imperial and Cape Royal before the going to the lodge.

DSC00019_Aurora2017_HDR.jpg

A quick vid of the ride from Jumpup Point to the North Rim Lodge.
    thirsty 1, WDG, larryboy and 7 others like this.
  8. Zubb

Oddometer:
    wheres the vid?
  9. redrider650

Oddometer:
    It looks like there is a problem embedding videos from Smugmug so I switched them to Youtube. They should work now.
  10. Zubb

Oddometer:
    youtube video is 'unavailable'. Just letting you know.
  11. redrider650

Oddometer:
    Ok. Third time's the charm. I think. :baldy
  12. PeterKaa

PeterKaa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great photos! The lookouts in the north rim park, might be more crowded but are very beautiful indeed!

I agree, the road to Jumpup is very nice and the spot it self WOW!

How was the road from Crazy Jugs to north rim?

I won't be riding GC this year, which is terrible - but hopefully I can convince lady-friend to do a little detour on our roadtrip in October. Hoping to check in on adv rider for road reports so our rental car doesn't need recovery in some mud hole :-D
  13. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Nice!
  14. redrider650

Oddometer:
    Finally at the North Rim Lodge, I was ready for some real food. A sandwich at the deli hit the spot.
    DSC09972-Pano.jpg
    After looking around a bit, I topped off my water bags and went back up the road to the backcountry permit office to enquire about Point Sublime.

DSC09992.jpg I figured that there was no chance to get a permit but what the hell, I was there and it couldn’t hurt to ask. No permits were available but not because they were all out. The road was still closed due to snow, mud, and fallen trees. They expected it to reopen mid June. The ranger said I might like Fire Point and the permit was available. I say “the” permit because they only issue one permit per day for that area. I bought the permit. Camping at Buck Farm Point would have to wait for another trip. To celebrate my good fortune, I picked up a few beers and some ice at the campground store, topped of my tank and hit the road to Fire Point.
    It was an easy ride out through the Aspens but it was starting to look like it might rain so I picked up the pace. I didn’t want to set up camp in the rain. It never did rain and it turned out to be a great spot to camp. Soft dirt with very few rocks, tall pines, and great views into the canyon. Highly recommended. I spent the rest of the daylight taking photos.
    DSC00093-Pano.jpg
    DSC00031_Aurora2017_HDR_0.jpg

Edit: Something I forgot to mention above was that while I was at the Backcountry permit office, I was told that roughly 15% of the permits each day are held for walk-in customers.
    Kovac77, NSFW, WDG and 9 others like this.
  15. redrider650

Oddometer:
    A few more from Fire Point DSC00272_Aurora2017_HDR.jpg

DSC00225-Pano_Aurora2017_HDR.jpg

DSC00101_Aurora2017_HDR.jpg

Here's a short video of the ride out to Fire Point
    Antikid, KLRalph, WDG and 6 others like this.
  16. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Red Rider - hat's off and a big salute to you sir. Your pics, photo and video editing are top notch!! Your art REALLY makes me want to run out and drop $2k on photo gear. But I know it's an art form. You can't buy a great photo, only great gear.
    I've been shooting only iPhone pics for several years now since it allows me to quickly process and then upload to... anywhere. A picture that's shared is worth everything compared to the ones that don't--- even if it's just laziness. Having a phone and data service attached to my iPhone 7s camera makes it a heavily used tool.

I do have a Canon Powershot G9 that I bought a while back in a moment of inspiration but it's buried under several years of dust. I should get it out and carry it on the bike...... and learn to shoot and edit in RAW. A topic that thrills me about as much as doing my taxes each year.

Your pics make me stop dead in my tracks and then draw me in. Nice work man.
  17. Zubb

Oddometer:
    It's interesting to me that you, DesertDave, RTWPaul and others all have your own signature 'flavor' to your pics. It's a combo of perspective, composition and editing. Very cool.
  18. redrider650

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Being my first time to the Grand Canyon, I think I lucked out with the timing. I didn't see another bike on the trail. Very few people at the lodge and only a few cars on the road until I hit the South Rim.
  19. redrider650

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the nice comments.

I'll take credit for the photo editing, but the video is just a Gopro template where I dump a bunch of short edits into their pre-made templates.

I also shoot a lot of iPhone pics and edit them with Lightroom Mobile which is very similar to Lightroom on the computer. Its free and a good app to experiment with and also lets you shoot and edit in RAW on your phone.
    I see you're in San Diego. If you want to see some remarkable cell phone pics (mostly iPhone), visit the photo exhibition at the San Diego County Fair. The requirement is that all photos in that category must be shot and edited on a phone or tablet and you would never know it if they didn't tell you.
    CrStep and Zubb like this.
  20. Banzaibrothers

Banzaibrothers Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have to say I totally agree with comments about the photos - absolutely stunning.

Thank you for sharing. Inspirational.