Chethro's WV & Nearby Travels

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by chethro, Sep 24, 2020.

1. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hope her new knee goes well!
    chethro likes this.
  2. CJSRider

CJSRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hope the knee replacement goes well.
    How difficult is the maintenance on the V85? What about the cost and availability of the parts?
    I have been thinking about getting a V85 but a little concerned about how difficult the maintenance is and can you get the need parts.

Keep you post coming about your rides. Love the pictures.
    chethro likes this.
  3. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

Valve adjustment via threaded adjusters took less than an hour. I changed the engine and transmission fluid and that took about 2 hours, but I went slow and measured what was removed, tools needed, cleaned etc. All filter, o-ring and crush washers are readily available from multiple vendors here in the USA. I ordered extra my first time to insure if something leaks I have a spare to go back with. One of the main reasons I went with MG's was the ease of maintenance. :D The oil recommended is the biggest expense. You can go to the AF1 or Cadre site and see the cost for a kit to do the recommended maintenance for the mileage you're at. Figure around $90 -130 depending on which oils need changed.

The tank has to be lifted slightly (5 bolts) to get the valve covers off and the skid plate needs removed to do the oil (4 bolts).

Maintenance intervals are 900 miles then at 6000 miles, 12,000, 18,000 etc.
  4. velofish

velofish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  5. Mtneer

Mtneer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I try to make when ever I can, nice and laid back, always enjoy coming up and kicking tires, bakery has good food and coffee, will try to make it.
    velofish and chethro like this.
  6. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the invite, but a little too far for me on a day trip. Not to mention the almost 6 hours I spent on the DR today. :D More on that below.... As long as you're not expecting mucho horsepower the V85 won't disappoint! New Martinsville/Buchannan/Clarksburg is about the limit.
    klaviator, JRowland and velofish like this.
  7. velofish

velofish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No worries. I still like your thread. :)
  8. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a nice day! Perfect temps and a nicely laid out plan of rough tar and smooth gravel. Well, about 10 minutes into the plan just past the covered bridge I decided to keep going on a road I hadn't been on...My possum like reflexes were needed almost immediately. :nod The road turned snotty with just enough gravel to compel me to continue. :hmmmmmThis turned into an hour detour, but it was pretty. On one uphill section there was a 6" diameter root crossing the road with a 1' vertical rise needing crossed topped by the root. Did I mention it rained last night? There was no stopping or going slow, so it had to be jumped with some speed. I figured for sure the front or rear would surely slide down the root, but I cleared it clean and kept her straight on course. :wings

4-9-2021-2y.jpg

4-9-2021-2v.jpg

4-9-2021-2u.jpg

Decisions Decisions at least today I made the right choices.

4-9-2021-2t.jpg

4-9-2021-2s.jpg

4-9-2021-2r.jpg

4-9-2021-2q.jpg

4-9-2021-2n.jpg

4-9-2021-2l.jpg

4-9-2021-2o.jpg

More to follow first detour complete now back to the plan.
    klaviator, JRowland, B10Dave and 7 others like this.
  9. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back on track and ready to go.

4-9-2021-2h.jpg

4-9-2021-2k.jpg

This low water bridge was tough to cross but it's never as deep as it looks. :roflIf you go fast enough, you can clear the first half...

4-9-2021-2g.jpg

4-9-2021-2f.jpg

4-9-2021-2e.jpg

4-9-2021-2c.jpg

4-9-2021-1z.jpg

4-9-2021-2d.jpg

4-9-2021-2a.jpg
  10. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    My pictures don't do justice to this spot.

4-9-2021-1x (2).jpg

4-9-2021-1y.jpg

4-9-2021-1u.jpg

4-9-2021-1t.jpg

A pretty swinging bridge.

4-9-2021-1s.jpg

4-9-2021-1r.jpg

4-9-2021-1q.jpg

4-9-2021-1o.jpg

4-9-2021-1l.jpg

4-9-2021-1n.jpg
  11. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bored yet? This next area is worthy of being a state park. The rock views were very impressive. I have a couple more rides in this area to put together a very scenic route. I'm not giving it up, but it is on the back roads between Elizabeth and Spencer. You have to visit for the tour.

4-9-2021-1k.jpg

4-9-2021-1j.jpg

4-9-2021-1h.jpg

4-9-2021-1f.jpg

4-9-2021-1d.jpg

4-9-2021-1c.jpg

4-9-2021-1a.jpg

4-9-2021-1b.jpg

This ride was a very scenic one. There were curvy hilly roads a few tough areas, but it was more about the view than the ride. I spent more time rubber necking than hustling down the trail. 140 miles in 5.5 hours tells the tale.
    old1959, klaviator, rdtz and 9 others like this.
  12. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking y'all are very fortunate to have roads like that. Great pics, BTW!
    klaviator, JRowland and chethro like this.
  13. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to see the ol DR back in action ! Feel good to get her out ?
    Great pictures
  14. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    X's three on the pics. Thanks for taking us along .
  15. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes it did. :-) The front Rally Scorpion has 3800 miles and quite a few nobs completely gone due to wear. This made the first slick section very fun! :D It still handled the pavement and gravel great. The D606 rear and Scorpion front amaze me. Yes, they wear fast, but they work so well in the snot and the street. I can go as fast as I care to on whatever road surface I encounter. I only needed those nobs for an hour or so yesterday, but without them it would have probably turned into a very sucky day. :muutt

I'm going to try and squeeze another 500 miles out of the front. I have a new set ready to install. :nod
    klaviator, Sonny S. and JRowland like this.
  16. JRowland

Oddometer:
    I’m with you on that tire combo, and no I’m not bored. Jonesing for the tour actually :-) Great pics!
    klaviator and chethro like this.
  17. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    The cost sucks, but that pain is much less than :muutt. Cheap insurance when you really think about it. :D

This area has the making of some very neat stuff to see and I haven't covered it all yet... Easily an entire day of riding.
    klaviator and JRowland like this.
  18. JRowland

Oddometer:
    Funny, I’m justifying it to myself the same way. If they sucked on the pavement it would be a different story but they don’t. I’d rather have too much than not enough and they fit that bill pretty well. I had convinced myself to ride the bagger up some time after my second shot marinates, probably after you two hopefully make it here. Now I’m back to thinking I’d rather try my first road trip on the DR. I’ll make up my mind eventually :D
    klaviator and chethro like this.
  19. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    A very cool ride today. I mean it. It never varied more than 2F off of 50F. :D 190 miles From Elizabeth to Grantsville then down Russet Road to Gassaway.

First rest stop

4-16-2021-1a.jpg

Then I had to get gas as I passed Grantsville, so I had to get those good pepperoni rolls again. Dang good stuff! Stopped at the boat ramp on Russet Road to enjoy them.

4-16-2021-1d.jpg

4-16-2021-1c.jpg

4-16-2021-1b.jpg

Then on to Gassaway Road.

4-16-2021-1e.jpg

4-16-2021-1f.jpg

Get you some of this!

4-16-2021-1p.jpg

4-16-2021-1m.jpg

4-16-2021-1l.jpg

This is a large mound that looks out of place with its surroundings.

4-16-2021-1o.jpg
  20. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I finally snapped a pic of the Church that an interesting thing happened during a ride on my V7 last year. The prior story follows:

"As I went down my next road to Gassaway an interesting thing happened. I wish I had it on video. As I entered a long sweeping S-curve, the V7's Agostini's were producing a subdued rumble. As I entered the top of the S I noticed a church in the next curve with about 25 people holding service in the parking lot. As they heard the rumble, they all turned their heads in sync, as I entered the curve with the church and I raised my left hand. In unison, they all in turn raised their hand and returned the gesture. It was the symmetry of the event, timing and it seemed like it happened in slow motion. The curve with the church was very pretty. I will get a picture of it sometime soon."

4-16-2021-1h.jpg

I added a fender thingy to the front end, but I can't say I'm real impressed at least so far. Some mud still made it onto the front of the engine. I did go thru a muddy area at the boat ramp...perhaps too much for it to handle? Time will tell. Maybe a big glob of clay hung on until I hit warp speed! :-)

4-16-2021-1k.jpg

A little further down the road I noticed this large mound. An unseen mine's tailing pile or a giant Indian burial mound?

4-16-2021-1n.jpg

I found the above area on Google maps and it looks like dirt for the mound was scooped out of two areas behind the mound.

Capture.JPG
    klaviator, B10Dave, Sonny S. and 4 others like this.