Chethro's WV & Nearby Travels

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by chethro, Sep 24, 2020.

1. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope that's not cheese I see in your pepperoni roll :p
    chethro likes this.
  2. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:

Oh yeah!
    EmmEff and B10Dave like this.
  3. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    That V7 was a very nice bike but holy cow that V85 is hot !
    You made a wise decision. But you already know that lol
    JRowland, chethro and B10Dave like this.
  4. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really miss the V7. :( That red headed hot rod was fun to ride and I loved the looks. :thumb It only lacked in suspension travel and power above 5000rpm. The TT fills those gaps and gives slightly better ergo's.

I just don't ride enough to justify keeping up with 3 bikes. The TT will see 5-7K miles per year and the DR 2-3K. :ricky I like the easy do it yourself maintenance on both bikes.
    B10Dave, SoloRider73, drumdog and 5 others like this.
  5. SoloRider73

SoloRider73 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s heresy, one can never own to many motorcycles. Agree on the V7 suspension travel. When I first bought mine, I was riding a DR650. Some of the roads that I ride had pot holes that I never knew were there while riding the DR. I currently have the V85TT and V7 in my stable. I may add a small 250 dual sport at some point.
  6. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have toyed with the idea of getting a TW200 or XT250 and I have room in the shed beside the DR, but I could never put a street bike in there. Need knobs. It is a steep hill backing a bike in and pulling her out. A small bike would only open up a few more roads and with no one to ride with probably shouldn't being doing those since they are narly. :D The DR works fine, is set up for my size and is comfortable for hours on end.

4-16-2021x.jpg

5 acres and nary a flat spot on it.
    Kthursto, Weldman, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  7. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sell the trailer; move the bike shed up onto the driveway. Problem solved...:D:D
  8. Iron Cross Junction

Iron Cross Junction Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Va.

You are an engineer.

Build something.

Winch it up.

Easy-peasy. :D

Bill
    JRowland and chethro like this.
  9. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    20 trees were removed to place that little shed. Just as many stumps are waiting to be removed in the next week or so. Two oaks were about 30" in diameter. When they came down the tree guy said "Now those are some logs!". :D Bad news is more to mow. :doh

Initial "Engineering" and this is the flat spot. :hmmmmm

IMG_0174.JPG

Sorta gives a better idea of the steepness.

IMG_0188.JPG

My Civil engineering skills at work. Did I mention I'm electrical? You can see my Lazer level. Really...it's made by Lazer. :D Complete drainage system under the gravel. That was a month of digging last February/March.

IMG_0299.JPG

Nothing but rainbows and unicorns in WV!

348xx-1.jpg

Now, as we move back to the future. I'm hoping for a nice ride in an hour or two. It looks like the rain is going to hold off....:ricky
  10. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    A fantastic day. I hope there are riding days in heaven like the one I had today. :deal Temps were perfect while geared up. A solid 5 hours of ride time and I only had someone in front of me for around 15 minutes (in small towns). (I won't mention how long the line behind me was...:D) Every road was free and clear...it was a Sunday miracle. :pope

I'm naming this route "The Snake". I didn't travel a new road, but it was a different combination of roads I love. The best parts of Rt47 and 74 with some smaller roads thrown in. It is 190 miles of mostly curves. Josh, fear not if you bring the RK. If you like tail of the Dragon on that big boy, you will love this! :ricky This will be a long one. It was beautiful with alternating dark and bright skies. I did get sprinkled on a few times.

Normal 1st rest stop

4-18-2021 1a.jpg

Creeks were a bit high...the reason the TT got the nod. I need them low for the next DR ride.

4-18-2021 1c.jpg

4-18-2021 1d.jpg

4-18-2021 1e.jpg

4-18-2021 1g.jpg

Two shots from same spot.

4-18-2021 1h.jpg

4-18-2021 1i.jpg

4-18-2021 1j.jpg

4-18-2021 1k.jpg
  11. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another of the first rest stop. The front lower fender seemed to do much better today. It kept all spray off the engine. It won't keep a bunch of mud off from a long dirty road, but worked fine today on wet spots on the road and a mild shower of a few miles. The TT works so well in my area and on the roads I ride. I love being able to do a U-turn on a narrow road to go back for a quick pic and the light weight has yet to put me in a bind even on angled pavement where the pavement is a little lower than expected when you put your foot down to stop. Not too much power to pull out of a grassy wet area if I stop beside the road.

4-18-2021 1b.jpg

4-18-2021 1l.jpg

4-18-2021 1m.jpg

4-18-2021 1p.jpg

4-18-2021 1r.jpg

Two shots from the same spot.

4-18-2021 1t.jpg

4-18-2021 1u.jpg
  12. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    A nice BB field to pull off on Rt31 with a pretty creek and small waterfall behind it.

4-18-2021 1y.jpg

4-18-2021 1x.jpg

4-18-2021 2b.jpg

4-18-2021 1w.jpg

4-18-2021 2e.jpg

The next few shots are from downtown Cairo WV.

4-18-2021 2f.jpg

4-18-2021 2g.jpg

4-18-2021 2i.jpg

4-18-2021 2j.jpg
  13. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    And finally a ride back thru the country home....

4-18-2021 2k.jpg

Hillside in sun/shadow. Really pretty cloud formations today.

4-18-2021 2l.jpg

4-18-2021 2m.jpg

4-18-2021 2n.jpg

4-18-2021 2o.jpg

Time to clean the bugs off my gear and bike...more to follow hopefully Tuesday.
  14. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope so too. Based on the pics you posted it certainly looked like you were in riding heaven:rayof
  15. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    What Win said X 2.
    chethro, JRowland and klaviator like this.
  16. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some great pics there. Thanks for posting them.
    chethro, JRowland and klaviator like this.
  17. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful pics, sure looks like a great route!
    chethro likes this.
  18. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    The little Fuji XP-140 doesn't do bad and it is quick to pull out and shoot even with a gloved hand. I do run them thru Lightroom and de-haze to get them looking as close as I can to what I saw. My goal is to make them look as I remember no better no worse. I couldn't make any of these look as good as real life, but close. It was that pretty of a day.

My wife has an entry level DSLR that I'm going to try. A small tank bag is on the way. :D
    JRowland and klaviator like this.
  19. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    I keep messing with the settings but I'm not liking the pictures as well as the iPhone. Yours from yesterday are amazing, the sky here looked the same but not in my pics. I ran mine on P with the Chrome filter yesterday and was very unimpressed. I do like having it in my pocket though, and I do like the wireless image transfer as I don't like sitting in front of the computer ever. I'm definitely going to step up to something a little better eventually.
  20. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm using Shooting Mode "SR auto", Image size 4:3, Image Quality "F" and Finepix color "STD". The SR Auto should do the adjusting for you.

I turn the camera off now before putting it up each time. My settings were getting gooned up as I was putting the camera back in the pouch.

The top pic below is right off the camera and the second is with some tweaking to make it look like what I saw. I'm using Adobe Lightroom for adjustments. For $10-11 a month I use their subscription. You get other things with it like photoshop and a couple other Apps I don't use. The basic photo editor from Microsoft can do some adjusting if you have access to it.

Straight off the camera just cropped:

DSCF0825.JPG

Same pic edited in Lightroom:

4-18-2021 1h.jpg

The bottom pic is closest to what I saw with the clouds being very dark and purplish. The top is a little sun washed for lack of a better term, but not terrible.