Chethro's WV & Nearby Travels

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by chethro, Sep 24, 2020.

1. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for describing in detail what I'm dealing with, that Adobe Lightroom is the ticket. My iPhone must have built in Lightroom :lol3 I was using the SR mode, I tried landscape, flower, etc., etc., but none of them take pictures like what appears to me in person. I even tried the old trick of focusing on the blue sky and pulling the camera down to the subject but it darkens the foreground way too much. Now to find a "Lightroom" I can use on my tablet, or a new camera :-)
    chethro likes this.
  2. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need to find an editor App for best results especially with cheaper cameras. They can make poor pics look good. Sometimes the sun just isn't in the right position for optimum photos. At least for a shade tree photographer like me. :D I tried a bunch of free Apps before just biting the bullet on Adobe. My wife and I take a ton of pics, so I enjoy messing with them. I bought her a Nikon D3500 for her BD last year and I'm going to try it out when I'm riding the TT, but no way its going on the DR. :p3rry

Hopefully, the DR will be out tomorrow to finish the route planning from the last ride.
    B10Dave, klaviator and JRowland like this.
  3. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Took the DR for some more exploring. Hoping to add to the route I started last trip. First, I detoured to the Buffalo Church. I have shown you a few of these locations before.

4-20-2021 1b3.jpg

4-20-2021 1a.jpg

4-20-2021 1h.jpg

4-20-2021 1i.jpg

4-20-2021 1k.jpg

Now on to some new roads...

4-20-2021 1m.jpg

The GPS thinks it knows a better route, so I decide to see... Detour

4-20-2021 1n.jpg

The road started to thin out on gravel and a mud hole or three started to show up.

4-20-2021 1p.jpg

Some further investigation is needed. My calibrated stick divined it to be rock bottom, so on I went.

4-20-2021 1q.jpg

Still no deep mud just rock bottom holes.

4-20-2021 1u.jpg
    black 8, Muscongus, klaviator and 5 others like this.
  4. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now I'm thinking, sweet, this is a nice relatively unused road that will make a good addition to the route. :thumb Next, I run into a small hunting camp and abandoned house.

4-20-2021 1r.jpg

4-20-2021 1v.jpg

4-20-2021 1w.jpg

Then just around the bend from the camp...I went a little too far. :doh Not enough room to turn around and the bike is sitting on a wet rock with a gulley of boulders to traverse.
    I dismount again. Move some rocks and logs and plan my descent.

4-20-2021 1y.jpg

4-20-2021 2a.jpg

A better view for how steep it is. I sure hope this comes out somewhere. :dunno

4-20-2021 1z.jpg

Well I made it down and at the bottom is an old home place. I had a few butterflies in my stomach after making it down the hill. I even forgot to stop and take a pic of a giant rock overhang in the ravine. It's for sale PM me if you want the name of the realtor...

4-20-2021 2b.jpg

From the other side. Still not sure if I'm making it out. When I stopped I thought I heard banjos playing...

4-20-2021 2c.jpg

Next, it is the longest road in a creek bed I have ever traveled. An easy mile long.

4-20-2021 2f.jpg

4-20-2021 2g.jpg

Then right where this creek meets a gravel road there is a realtor sign pointing up the creek I just traveled. Needless to say the sign was dirty, rusty and laying on an 45 angle. I don't think the agency comes by much... :hmmmmm

I don't think the downhill portion will work as part of the route, but we can always travel to the cabin at the top. :D
    black 8, Muscongus, Fixnfly and 8 others like this.
  5. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back on the planned track again and I come to a creek crossing that I had hoped to cross. Nope, looks to be 3 feet deep in the fast moving water. I still have to go down the steep bank into the creek to turn around where you can see the rocks on this side of the creek and it's two feet deep there!

4-20-2021 2h.jpg

I find a nice little spot to stop and eat a energy bar.

4-20-2021 2l.jpg

4-20-2021 2o-1.jpg

Next, down another pretty road with just a few hunting cabins. I thought there was a low water bridge here...it must be real low since I can't even see the bottom. I turn around again, but at least there is enough road to do it.

4-20-2021 2q.jpg

Well it has been a long day, but there is another road to try, but it is looking pretty unused. I hit a closed gate, but there was yet another road...

4-20-2021 2r.jpg

There were many rock formations on this road and two of these large V-shaped waterfalls. Unfortunately, the trees are blocking it in my pic.

4-20-2021 2w.jpg

Then I run into this. There is no way around. No I-70 middle of nowhere bypass to be seen. You know what they say go big or go home... I went home. :D

4-20-2021 2z.jpg

Another road worth traveling. Just not a pass thru. In August, the two creek crossings are probably passible. I doubt this last hole ever is...at least by motorcycle.
    old1959, black 8, Muscongus and 10 others like this.
  6. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like what you're seeing but am not a fan of excess mud and water. Again, great pics! You're in riding heaven BTW.
    klaviator, B10Dave and chethro like this.
  7. okiegtrider

okiegtrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love this thread. Sent a link to it to a buddy just yesterday. Keep em coming Chethro! :thumb
    klaviator, drumdog and chethro like this.
  8. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I could have turned around on that hill I would have. It was much steeper than it looks. Just no way to do it. There was a 10' stretch where there was no room for error. You had the width of a couple tires to make it. Both sides much too far up to put a foot down. A slip or stop and you are going over. :muutt There were no tracks on the road. 4 miles back and 2 forward. Typically you see some SxS tracks, but there was nothing past that camp. You do see some of the prettiest places tho... I take my time. Get off and plan each step. Then I will move obstacles and branches. That section of the road is not even on Garmin Explore. :D I keep a record of SxS only, Bad, Dead End and water crossings.
  9. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love finding the through routes not on most or any maps. That one was a score!
  10. Mad_Rabbit

Mad_Rabbit n00b

Oddometer:
    Great pics! I've spent a good amount of time running back roads through the state as well which makes the photos that much more enjoyable. Cheers from another WV based inmate :beer
    chethro likes this.
  11. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take me home country roads...
    :freaky
    klaviator and Mad_Rabbit like this.
  12. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rainy day today, but it looks like a decent day tomorrow, so hopefully I can get out and ride. Today I played with a couple pics replacing the sky. I keep trying to learn new aspects of photoshop and lightroom. Turns out to be pretty easy to do this. It's not perfect, but the first pic had a very washed out sky that couldn't be fixed in lightroom and the second was just a grey cloudy sky that was boring.

Xtra-2.jpg

Xtra-5.jpg

I sure do miss the V7, but it would be a hard decision on which one to take out on a given day. The sound of the V7 was just amazing and really enhanced the riding experience. I will probably get a Mistrial for the TT, but it doesn't come close to the sound of the Agostini's on a V7.

For anyone getting out tomorrow... Safe journeys.:beer
    Sonny S., JRowland, klaviator and 5 others like this.
  13. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    See What You Have Done: Your question about what was on the tombstone at the end of the bridge was weighing heavy on my mind. Unable to wait out the crap weather we're having today, I rode the internet and found this.

[​IMG]

Here's how it gets worse. Now I want to know who Patrick was, why he died at such a young age and why they dedicated this bridge to him. Also, the bridge is named the Shoddy Mill Bridge, which beg another set of questions whose answers I must now chase. It never ends. :D
  14. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    225 miles in 50F overcast weather. Started out 50/50 damp/dry roads then went to dry roads after the half way point of the ride. I went to Elizebeth, Glenville and Cedar Creek State Park. Then onto Cedarville, Gassaway and back Tail of the Skunk.

4-25-2021 .jpg

4-25-2021 -2.jpg

4-25-2021 -3.jpg

4-25-2021 -5.jpg

Cedar Creek State Park lake and Chapel.

4-25-2021 -6.jpg

4-25-2021 -7.jpg

4-25-2021 -8.jpg

I need to research this big stone building in Cedarville. I'm not sure what it is. Then a pic of Cedarville.

4-25-2021 -11.jpg

4-25-2021 -12.jpg

4-25-2021 -13.jpg
  15. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    On down Exchange road, I came across this old Church and bridge at a very pretty spot.

4-25-2021 -22.jpg

4-25-2021 -17.jpg

4-25-2021 -14.jpg

4-25-2021 -21.jpg

4-25-2021 -19.jpg

4-25-2021 -23.jpg

An old factory of some sort.

4-25-2021 -24.jpg

4-25-2021 -25.jpg
  16. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did get a few pics of the colorful coal cars lined up in Gassaway.

4-25-2021 -26.jpg

4-25-2021 -27.jpg

4-25-2021 -29.jpg
  17. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hitting the Wolfshead tomorrow with an old high school friend that is visiting from TN... We used to ride all these roads back in our early 20's. We haven't ridden together since then. :D Then Sunday it's the Snake! :nod

I finally received the Guzzi tall gel seat. I'm curious if I will like it as well as the stock saddle. It feels a little more squishy.

Capture.JPG
  18. Iron Cross Junction

Iron Cross Junction Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Va.
    As for the "big stone building in Cedarville," see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedarville_School :clap

As for the "colorful coal cars," I detest graffiti. :gerg

In fact, I think it should be a capital offense. :pep

But to show I am reasonable, I'd only impose that on a second conviction. :D

Bill
    JRowland, B10Dave and chethro like this.
  19. okiegtrider

okiegtrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look forward to next week's pics. :lurk
    JRowland and chethro like this.
  20. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice find on the Cedarville school my Google foo was weak. I came up empty. I must have spelled it wrong. :D

As for graffiti, I like it as long as it's on your house :-) and not mine. :lol2