1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Chethro's WV & Nearby Travels

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by chethro, Sep 24, 2020.

1. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like what you are producing from your new pocket camera. That little guy is sweet! I'm looking at it's great great grand daddy very close. Those Sony unit seem very nice.
    JRowland likes this.
  2. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is Cisco road a shortcut between Rt 31 & 47. Most of it is now freshly paved and it was a hoot. Last year it was a game of dodge the pothole. :D
  3. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    gorgeous bike, sort has a mix of styling from Guzzis and late 90's/early 2000s BMW GSAs and BMW R1150R "beakster"

[​IMG]
  4. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, it checks so many boxes for me. Deep dish knee cut outs on the tank, red frame, dual head lights, long travel suspension and easy do it yourself maintenance. The fact it works so well in the curves is just icing on the cake.
    DCrider, Sonny S., JRowland and 5 others like this.
  5. SoloRider73

SoloRider73 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you ridden any roads that are fast enough to test the new windscreen? I always end up with no screen on most of my bikes since I really don’t like buffeting.
  6. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went 75-85 mph on the interstate for 20 minutes Sunday and it was better than stock. This shield is only an inch or so taller than the center point on the instrument cluster when it is laid back like in the pic above (both sides are quite a bit taller than the cluster tho). I doubt there would be much difference between this and no shield. I can still get cleaner air on the helmet if I half way stand on the pegs with my rear about 6" off the seat and that is why I doubt removing the screen will be any better, but I haven't tried no shield....so I can't say for sure.

Maybe try removing yours and see how well it works. If you can lift up 5-6" off the seat and get cleaner air then this shield will be the same. For reference, I'm 6' tall with 32" inseam running the MG tall seat.

It's hard to tell from the pic below, but you get the idea...

IMG_3853.JPG

When I went to mount the Biondi shield I didn't think it was going to fit. The holes seemed too far apart. I had to flex the shield a bit and turn the eccentric mounts on the top as wide as they would go. Not only is this screen shorter much of the sides are gone. See how much more of the mounting structure can be seen? It's not much wider than the instrument cluster.

Looks are subjective, but I do like the way this shield looks. I may even keep it on in cold weather and just bundle up...:vardy :D
  7. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another 6 hour ride and 240 miles. I left early with overcast skies and it kept looking worse the further East I went. The creeks were full due to monsoon rains the last week or so.

6-12-2021.jpg

6-12-2021-1.jpg

6-12-2021-2.jpg

When I turned down the road to Rosedale WV, about every mile the water had been over the road leaving red clay snot, trees had slid off the mountain or there were mud slides. What is usually a 20 minute ride took twice that. You really can't see it on anything but the fork guards, but the bike and I were covered in red clay.

6-12-2021-9.jpg

I'm not sure, but perhaps the old High School at Gassaway?

6-12-2021-3.jpg

Then lunch at the Custard stand... Very tasty hot dogs with chili too.

6-12-2021-4.jpg

On the way home, I noticed another V85TT in Clay, so I had to stop. :nod Two gents from Roanoke VA, were getting lunch. They were heading to Athens OH for what looked to be quite an adventure! Probably the only two TT's in WV that day and we crossed paths. :thumb Not wanting to disturb their lunch, I wished them a safe journey and rode on... :ricky

6-12-2021-8.jpg

Near Harmony WV.

6-12-2021-5.jpg

6-12-2021-6.jpg

Another fantastic ride full of these...

6-12-2021-10.jpg
  8. SoloRider73

SoloRider73 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like he painted his engine guards red. Probably not a bad idea with the red trellis frame.
    chethro likes this.
  9. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    A good friend's son has a powder coating shop. I have been considering it as an over the winter project. :hmmmmm

I think I have seen someone selling red ones....
    B10Dave and SoloRider73 like this.
  10. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    I actually like the black, it’s less distracting and shows the lines of the bike better to my eyes. The red pulls my eyes into the erector set while I’d rather see the flow of the body lines if that makes sense. The yellow on that guys bike could be adding to the incoherent chopped up look I see as well, for whatever reason your bike looks much nicer to me @chethro.
    klaviator, Ever Onward and chethro like this.
  11. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I plan to photo chop it first :D, but I agree the red on my tank may make it look better but... Then I'm considering Mytech red side skid plates. They are the ones on the side of the headers that are most visible. The stock thin ones buzz/vibrate loudly when the RPM's are high during hard take offs. The Mytechs are thicker metal, so I hope they dampen it down. Red crash bars may be too much red with the red skids. Then again the Mytechs come in black too....Decisions decisions :hmmmmmI'm not a fan of the bottom skid tho, it comes up too high in the front.

Capture.JPG
    B10Dave and JRowland like this.
  12. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do like the looks of the Guzzi V-twin and I don't want to take away from that.

I know, I'm biased, but I have always thought it is one of the best looking engines cradled in a bike (even before owning one). The engines in many bikes today just aren't pretty or are completely covered in body work due to that fact. HD and BMW's being an exception at least for their air cooled versions. Probably why I like the old air cooled DR too!
  13. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    The way yours is my eye (my opinion doesn’t matter as much as yours :-)) sees that beautiful piece plus the nice body lines.

79D1F2CD-E22E-4537-8FF6-0C2ADFCF430F.jpeg

8790ED56-5F66-4AF8-AFE9-C57D58F0F107.jpeg

^^^ here I see tubing first and foremost.
  14. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:
    Another vote for black engine guards. Make em match the engine case color. Nothin sexy about em, no need to stand out.

Remember chrome engine guards on Goldwings and Silverwings ? They looked right because the engine was so bright silvery.

I would also try a black engine matching skid plate and headpipe guards myself.
    B10Dave, JRowland and chethro like this.
  15. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I finished out my exploring of the area between I77 and Woodsfield Ohio (for the most part) today. Fantastic temps that never went over 72F. Not much traffic. Basically, Rt26 to Woodsfield, Rt78 West then down Rt555.

First pit stop...I just missed the Orange Tiger lily's getting ready to pop. Another day or two and this spot will be a field of orange. Darn!

6-15-2021-1.jpg

6-15-2021-2.jpg

6-15-2021-3.jpg

6-15-2021.jpg

6-15-2021-5.jpg

Woodsfield OH

6-15-2021-6.jpg

Stumbled across this memorial to a downed Air Ship where 14 perished and 29 survived.

6-15-2021-7.jpg

6-15-2021-8.jpg
  16. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    The clouds started looking really cool with bright whites and blacks framed by blue skies.

6-15-2021-15.jpg

6-15-2021-10.jpg

6-15-2021-11.jpg

6-15-2021-12.jpg

6-15-2021-14.jpg

Then the final rest stop under a bridge with the muddy Ohio river in the background. All told another 230'ish miles in just under 6 hours.

6-15-2021-16.jpg

Yes, more of the typical boring roads...:-)

6-15-2021-4.jpg
  17. Tim1225

Tim1225 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_6649.jpg
    The pictures of the old Shenandoah Inn / Truck Stop Was built to resemble the Shenandoah Air Ship.
  18. CJSRider

CJSRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    chethro and JRowland like this.
  19. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:
    Imagine being in the bow of that airship when it gets ripped in half by the storm.......... and then riding the bow fragment another 13 miles till its on the ground ! :eekers

Crazy, yet cool story.
  20. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    My father was one of the last few trained by the Navy in the 1950s to fly airships for submarine surveilence in the Atlantic, on a trip from Lakehurst, NJ to GA he had to crash one outside of Brunswick, I don't recall the exact reason but all crew were ok just bruised egos. Who new there's a list of crashes, don't see my Dad's listed https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airship_accidents