Chethro's WV & Nearby Travels

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Chethro, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Chethro

Chethro Confidence is High

Oddometer:
    One last detour down to the Spruce overhang. This was gated last year, but it isn't any longer. One of the hardest SxS/4wd roads is in this area. Mud holes as tall as the DR with rider. I have crossed it and fallen a couple of times. The trip to Spruce is easier with just rocky creeks and smaller 2' deep mud holes which have rock bottoms, so no biggy.

This pic is an extremely steep down hill with whoops, but it kinda looks like an uphill. :loco

7-28-2021-30.jpg

And yes this is the road...

7-28-2021-31.jpg

This is the overhang and yes this is still the road.

7-28-2021-34.jpg

7-28-2021-32.jpg

A nice ride, especially when you don't fall down on some hard technical stuff...at least for my old bones.

The front MT21 did OK. Where the MT21 fails for me is gravel sized 1" in diameter or larger and when it's deeper that 2". Triangular gravel is fine, but if it is squarish/roundish it is scary as hell and all you can do is slow down.

I still like the Scorpion Rally better. I'm waiting to see if the MFG will send me a new one. If they don't replace it I will probably get a front D606, I remember liking it better than the MT21, but not as good as the Scorpion. I just don't want to risk getting another bad tire on my dime. Rocky Mountain said that have had a few claims for the Scorpion.
    RedEX, bomose, Higher Logic and 7 others like this.
  2. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good for you tackling those deep streams solo! I’d be skeered and turn around. I liked the MotoZ RallZ front tire, I like the Pirelli better but tire life isn’t super important to me. The RallZ wore very well, I’d run it if I was on a trip.
    B10Dave, Chethro and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  3. Chethro

Oddometer:
    That is a pretty good looking tire. do you remember how it did in the gravel and that asphalt crap you have?
  4. JRowland

Oddometer:
    I liked it, I wasn't fearful of it washing out easily like the Tusk front I had on prior. When I tried the Pirelli I liked how it felt on the pavement better so I just stuck with it. The Pirelli wears about twice as fast so I suppose it has a stickier softer compound which is why I like it better, but that's just a guess.
    Chethro likes this.
  5. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's what I keep thinking when reading this report. I am willing to tackle much more difficult stuff when in a group than when I am solo.
    RedEX, bomose, JRowland and 2 others like this.
  6. Chethro

Oddometer:
    I agree. It is much easier when you have help lifting your steed especially the DR. :D I do turn around often.

While I crossed two streams, it wasn't the way we did it at MV...WFO. :lol3 I stopped looked for big rocks. picked my path and could see a gravel bottom not solid rock. I would have turned around on submerged solid rock. (as I did on the prior DR ride) It is too slick. Even those dry sections in the pics above are still a little slick, but when they have the least bit of water on the rock they are like ice. I crossed the streams at a smooth constant somewhat slow pace with the engine RPMs in the torque band. The deep parts were only about 3-4' long. I didn't even get a pic of the big one lol.

I stop often and evaluate. Get off the bike check the depth of holes and think about my line. On tough hills, I walk them break limbs out of the way and move obstacles. The last hill I went this day was a mistake. It ended up OK and I turned around, but I should have noticed no one had been up that path. The entire trip down this road I was evaluating and asking myself can I make it back this way if I need to...before crossing a difficult section.

Looking at my track last night, if I kept going up the hill I would have ended up on the wrong side of a locked gate where a farmer has both ends of a road gated and this old road passed right by the homestead. Not good. :2guns

The lust for adventure sometimes overcomes common sense. Then there is...the GPS says this is a road. :hmmmmm

I do carry a Garmin Inreach just in case.

I will go down this road again, but it has to be dry...very very dry for a long stretch. :nod It is too pretty not to check it out again, hopefully with some of ya'll!
  7. JRowland

Oddometer:
    I’m a different rider when I’m exploring new stuff. The WFO comes later :lol3 I really enjoy both but not at the same time. It’s like learning anything, mastery comes with time and practice and I keep practicing :-) I love exploring and finding new to me stuff. When I’m unwilling to go but curious enough I round up Bert or Russ. If I didn’t have them curiosity would eventually get the better of me but deep looking water has always scared me alone.
  8. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Similar for me, curiosity drives me to explore all sorts of old roads and trails solo, but been lucky enough my stupid curiosity driven mistakes have not gotten me in too much trouble...hope it stays that way :D
  9. Chethro

Oddometer:
    Well, I heard back from Rocky mountain and neither they or the MFG are going to do do anything with the weaving Pirelli Scorpion tire. The MFG said it was normal wear for a tire that has been used on the road. :loco I guess 708 miles is all they are good for. I replied it's not wear, but a safety concern, so time to move on. No more Pirellis for me.

I just bought a D606 from Revzilla, I will use them from now on. I will see if my memory is correct in how that tire performed for me 8 years ago! :lol3

I think I will try the Motoz Rallz next or if I don't like the D606 front. :D
  10. JRowland

Oddometer:
    Boo. Oh well, you tried and I don't blame you one bit.
    Chethro and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  11. Chethro

Oddometer:
    Below are some bonus loops, that I plan to not ride again alone. Some of the prettiest places are along these detours, so it is hard to resist taking a peek.

How many times have you ridden down a small waterfall? No choice on this one, I had to go forward. Glad I didn't have to go up it this day.

x more.jpg

Later in the year when dryer, I did go up but had to turn around. I still couldn't get past a ledge further up the road.

x more-5.jpg

The road a little further up...

x more-7.jpg

A few miles away another rock road. I pancaked on this one. This is Hard Rock! :super When they look wet like this turn around.

x more-6.jpg

This is the other road near the Spruce overhang shown in my last posts. This road leads to even bigger and deeeper holes. I have went down twice on this road in the Spring. The bigger holes have bypasses. I had to go thru this one.

x more-8.jpg

The end of Red mud road. I went up this but fell down. It is a steep climb and hard to find. I went past it twice since it is in the corner of a hay field and almost never used.

x more-4.jpg

Millionaire Lane. Many many mud holes that SxS's have hogged out, but passible when dry.

x more-3.jpg

Quarry Road. I should have taken many more pics. It was rocks, rocks and rock slabs. I doubt I will try this one again. I came out at someone's house and had to go over a big pile of dirt they piled on the road that I think was placed to stop fools like me from going by. It had some steep down hills that I don't think I could have made it back up due to the mossy rocks. A very dark part of the forest.

x more-9.jpg

Probably the scariest thing I have encountered, but I didn't notice it until I was safe in my chair reviewing the pics. The dreaded Rickfoot on Little Rowles road.

rick.jpg
    BigDogRaven, RedEX, JRowland and 10 others like this.
  12. Iron Cross Junction

Iron Cross Junction Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Va.
    ^^^^^^^

Your testiculosity far exceeds mine. :fpalm

Bill
  13. PJ Bren

PJ Bren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If your in this area looking to get local riding routes in Greenbrier, Summers, Fayette, and Raleigh county definitely reach out. We’ve been using KLRs and DRZs to sort out some pretty entertaining rides - both short and long. We’re located in Summers county just off the highway.
    VADUALSPORT and JRowland like this.
  14. Chethro

Oddometer:
    I will. No plans at present to bring the DR to the Pipestem area, but I will let you know if I do. It would be great to hook up. I know a few roads between Pipestem and Glen Lynn.
    JRowland and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  15. Chethro

Oddometer:
    TT time! 172 miles in 4.5 hours. A little overcast at first, it brought some welcome cooler temps, but the roads had some damp spots.

Jackson county Courthouse.

8_1_2021.jpg

They bush hogged the property around what I think is an old RR station. In the past, I could only see this in the winter when all the leaves were down.

8_1_2021-1.jpg

First rest stop.

8_1_2021-2.jpg

Prunty road.

8_1_2021-7.jpg

8_1_2021-8.jpg

On the road to Spruce again, but in a different county.

8_1_2021-9.jpg

8_1_2021-10.jpg

8_1_2021-11.jpg

8_1_2021-12.jpg

Seems every Spruce has water crossings...

8_1_2021-13.jpg
    BigDogRaven, RedEX, klaviator and 8 others like this.
  16. Chethro

Oddometer:
    Gotta try it out!

8_1_2021-14.jpg

8_1_2021-18.jpg

8_1_2021-19.jpg

8_1_2021-20.jpg

Ritchie County Courthouse

8_1_2021-21.jpg

8_1_2021-22.jpg

8_1_2021-23.jpg

I put a Sit-n-Fly seat cover and Mytech exhaust guards on the bike yesterday. The seat cover does add a bit of padding and felt a little cooler. I need a warmer day to test it fully. The exhaust guards hit the nail on the head. I had a tinny sounding buzz whenever you would get up higher in the RPM range. It was pretty annoying. That is all gone. All I hear on a spirited takeoff now, is the MG rumble. :thumb No more noise.

8_1_2021-24.jpg

8_1_2021-25.jpg

8_1_2021-26.jpg

I may powder coat the skid black. I'm not sure yet. The nice thing about leaving it alone is there will be no chipping from gravel. The silver and black is kinda gelling with me, but time will tell. :hmmmmm
  17. pilotspike

pilotspike Been here awhile

Oddometer:

That is gorgeous. I could buy one of these just to put it behind glass and look at it in the afternoons with a beverage. Nice.
    RedEX, B10Dave, DCrider and 2 others like this.
  18. Chethro

Oddometer:
    Another DR day. Southeast easy route, but I did do a couple bonus loops. Had to have a long sleeve short on for half the ride. I don't want to jinx myself, but the DR is running real good. I'm only getting 45mpg, but it feels strong. Really loving it.

Big run water shed lake.

8_4_2021.jpg

8_4_2021-4.jpg

Mostly, easy gravel today...

8_4_2021-3.jpg

8_4_2021-5.jpg

But you never know what is around the bend. It did rain hard in spots.

8_4_2021-8.jpg

I actually had a pretty tough section with many trees down and one where I had to go around, dismount my steed and move many a tree limb/log.

8_4_2021-7.jpg

I almost went down when I stopped once. The grass on my left was hiding a ditch which my foot went into. Luckily, it was not so deep that the heft of the DR overcame me.

Next. on to River road near Walton.

8_4_2021-10.jpg

Then a bonus loop I haven't been down in 10 years.

8_4_2021-11.jpg

I think I can...I think I can...but no. After this barn and home, the road completely disappeared into tall weeds so, back I went.

8_4_2021-13.jpg
    BigDogRaven, RedEX, bomose and 7 others like this.
  19. Chethro

Oddometer:
    Next, a road I had not traveled...

8_4_2021-16.jpg

You can see the muddy clay runoff from last night. This turned out to be an easy gravel road with very nice rock and creek scenery.

8_4_2021-15.jpg

8_4_2021-17.jpg

There were camps for sale along the road and it's only about 15 minutes from I77. This one was not for sale but placed nicely high above the creek.

8_4_2021-18.jpg

Sort of a planet of the apes thing going on with the rock cliff in front of it tho...

8_4_2021-19.jpg

This guy had much of the property fenced off and this was beyond the gate up his drive. A very well kept place.

8_4_2021-20.jpg

8_4_2021-21.jpg

8_4_2021-25.jpg

8_4_2021-23.jpg
    BigDogRaven, RedEX, bomose and 8 others like this.
  20. JRowland

Oddometer:
    Love the monkey head, Daph and I stare at clouds and do that all the time :-)