Chethro's WV & Nearby Travels

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Chethro, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Chethro

Chethro Confidence is High

Oddometer:
    It wouldn't be a ride if there weren't creeks to cross or creek bed rock roads. Another bonus loop, for days when the water is low.

8_4_2021-32.jpg

8_4_2021-30.jpg

8_4_2021-29.jpg

8_4_2021-34.jpg

A very old bridge.

8_4_2021-35.jpg

8_4_2021-36.jpg

I stopped in the middle of this road for some reflection...:augie

8_4_2021-37.jpg

8_4_2021-38.jpg

This is the longest rock bed creek road I have found in my area. It is right beside I77 between Kenna and Fairplain exits.

8_4_2021-40.jpg

I put my front D606 on last night and all I can say is WOW. It did great today. 10 years ago I knew I liked it better than the MT21, but I don't feel I am losing anything compared to the Scorpion. No weave with this tire either. I rode faster in gravel with confidence. This is my new favorite front! It climbed right up the side of tracks in wet clay and did all that I could ask on the pavement. I didn't feel like taking it any faster in whatever I tried. :thumb I know a lot of folks hate this tire and maybe it goes to crap if you push it too far, but it works fine for me. Perhaps they changed it. I like the extra spacing between knobs. It seems to dig in better instead of sliding across. :hmmmmm
  2. Chethro

Oddometer:
    I didn't notice it at the time, Susan saw it as we were going thru them on the computer. :lol3
    JRowland likes this.
  3. Chethro

Oddometer:
    Decided to start Splorin a new area today. South of Spencer between Rt119 and 36. Not far from Looneyville WV. I came across one gate, but the rest was a home run. A very pretty road with lots of rocks, creeks and ass kicking curves paved and gravel. :D Definitely incorporating this into my SE route.

First stop a pretty stream.

8_6_2021.jpg

8_6_2021-3.jpg

Now, more into the fun part. I love finding new pretty roads. :ricky

8_6_2021-5.jpg

The road went over rock cliffs...

8_6_2021-7.jpg

Beside rock cliffs...

8_6_2021-15.jpg

And under rock cliffs...

8_6_2021-16.jpg

Along the way, I noticed a large rock sitting in the creek so it was time to walk down to it. This is a road to ride slow and rubber neck. There are nice views everywhere.

8_6_2021-10.jpg

8_6_2021-8.jpg

8_6_2021-11.jpg

8_6_2021-13.jpg
    klaviator, RedEX, MCGMB and 11 others like this.
  4. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap great pictures, gotta love those ^^^
    klaviator, B10Dave, popscycle and 2 others like this.
  5. Chethro

Oddometer:
    I mount my steed and continue on for more new sites! :nod

8_6_2021-14.jpg

8_6_2021-18.jpg

8_6_2021-20.jpg

8_6_2021-21.jpg

I have been past this first church once before on the V7. Such a pretty structure for something so simple.

8_6_2021-23.jpg

8_6_2021-26.jpg

Next, I returned to the area near my ride on Wednesday to sew up some details on a few roads. One in particular, the one I turned around on. :hmmmmm

8_6_2021-27.jpg

This road should taken me to the spot I turned, but after 3 miles or more up it...the dreaded gate, so I had to go back. It was a pretty and easy ride except for the one mud hole that was deeper than expected. All the holes had been just a few inches deep, but this one dropped me down 2 feet and was 6 feet long. I came thru it fine, but it really caught me off guard.

8_6_2021-28.jpg

There were 4-5 old home places down this road but they have all been turned into hunting camps or been left abandoned. None were occupied.

8_6_2021-29.jpg

One last ridge view, then a fun twisty section of fresh tar to the house. :ricky

8_6_2021-31.jpg
    klaviator, RedEX, bomose and 10 others like this.
  6. Higher Logic

Higher Logic Delightfully Altered

Oddometer:

You need to figure out if any of these old churches or camps are sustainable for a " Man Camp " over the next several years. It may be worthwhile to invest in em as a ongoing project while da world is idleing.

I know I would if I was there .
    RedEX and Chethro like this.
  7. Chethro

Oddometer:
    There are many properties for sale in the woods in my area and even more in the central part of the state. I see more and more places that were homes last year and now look to be abandoned like the one in the picture above. Someone lived there 2 years ago. The old are dying and there is no one that wants the old home place. Kids have moved on... Sad, but true.
    klaviator and Higher Logic like this.
  8. VADUALSPORT

VADUALSPORT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where are you in Summers? I'm from the Lerona Pipestem area.

9. Higher Logic

Higher Logic Delightfully Altered

Oddometer:

Thats a real shame, as it looks like some of them are quite saveable if you dont get to carried away fixin em up.

If the price was low and taxes and such were low also, it would make a great man camp, overnighter camp or just a mid day hangout.

A kind of a Trail House that a ADV kinda guy would have as his remote man cave.

Key features would be simple. Small size, cheap and easy with little maintenance, and no roof leaks. Anything more would be bonus luxuries.
  10. PJ Bren

PJ Bren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Located in Sandstone, just off the interstate.
  11. VADUALSPORT

VADUALSPORT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ride that way all the time. Have a friend lives on River road. I rode the Trans Virginian Trail and it goes that way up through Meadow Creek.
    Chethro likes this.
  12. Chethro

Oddometer:
    Took a nice 4 hour 150 mile ride along both sides of the Ohio river then up into Ohio on Rt681 and some other roads. I didn't stop for any scenery due to having too much fun in the curves. :ricky I have to be careful of the mileage I’m putting on the TT. I don’t want to go over the second service interval due to my upcoming trip to the Moto Grappa. :D

Portland Ohio Park. Cleanly kept, but I never seem to see anyone here.

8_8_2021.jpg

8_8_2021-1.jpg

No barges today Josh, I did get a shot of a small pleasure craft plowing the waters of the mighty Ohio... The overlook is so grown up I could barely get a pic.

8_8_2021-2.jpg

This will be a weed overlook next year.

8_8_2021-3.jpg

The canoe ramp at Vinton OH. Last chance before going over the dam.

8_8_2021-4.jpg

Would this make a nice bike shop or what?

8_8_2021-5.jpg

I like getting reflections as secondary subject matter. I had to work to not get a selfie here.

8_8_2021-6.jpg
  13. Chethro

Oddometer:
    I spent 9 years maintaining the boiler in this power house. 1300MW Mountaineer Plant.

8_8_2021-8.jpg

Gavin Plant has 2 - 1300MW units. I have been in every part of the ductwork, boiler, fans etc. The FGD ID fans are the size of a small 2 story apartment. I could hang off the outer edge of the fan wheel and the rotor wouldn't turn. :lol3

8_8_2021-7.jpg

Up the road is Racine Locks & Dam. There are some hydro units within.

8_8_2021-10.jpg

8_8_2021-11.jpg

8_8_2021-9.jpg

Letart WV. My mothers family were from here. The shot below is where the old train station used to set and my grandfather was a barber in the now gone building.

8_8_2021-12.jpg

My grandfather and mother. I never knew him. He was gone before my time on this earth.

8_8_2021-15.jpg

My Grandmother gettin it...

8_8_2021-14.jpg
  14. MCGMB

MCGMB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just discovered this thread today -- what a wonderful series of pics! :thumb

I like your DR setup too. Simple, but perfectly effective for its purpose.
    JRowland and Chethro like this.
  15. Chethro

Oddometer:
    Thanks, the DR is the Jeep Wrangler of motorcycles. There are so many directions you can go with it. I continue to be amazed at how 35-40 HP can make me so happy. It just tractors along when I want to go slow and it goes faster than my skill level. :-) I don't know of anything else that has the comfort and capability in a package this light. Yes, there are other faster and lighter bikes, but nothing with a nice all day seat. Add that it's easy to maintain by yourself and what's not to love.
  16. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about getting a DR, but I couldn't find one for under $4000 around here, so I spent half that on my Sportster. :D
    JRowland and Chethro like this.
  17. SoloRider73

SoloRider73 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your grandmother was into Grom sized motorcycles before it was cool.
  18. Chethro

Oddometer:
    That is the same prices around here too. :D It almost makes no sense to buy used unless you find one farkled up with what you want. Besides your Sporty is probably way better for where you ride and it looks good.
  19. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Man your grandfather look like he could be mine's brother!
    Chethro likes this.
  20. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    I love the creek-bed roads of WV, never seen so many anywhere else. I've got an environmentally friendly tilt to me so part of me understands how things like roads and driveways that cross through waterways can effect the ecosystems, but another part of me just loves the practical attitude that seems to've brought it about in WV. Its not a "hey theres a puddle lets rip it up!" attitude, its more of a "it just makes sense to go here" kind of thing. I don't remeber how many driveways I have seen on old back roads in WV where at best there is a footbridge across to the house. If you want to drive to your house you just have to drive through the stream, thats all there is to it!
    B10Dave, JRowland and Chethro like this.