Chethro's WV & Nearby Travels

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Chethro, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Chethro

Chethro Confidence is High

Oddometer:

Me too.

In the old days, the rock bottoms were like interstates for horse and wagons. :D Much better than the red clay that would stick to everything. I guess wagons could even handle the deeper water to a point which would cover these roads half the year. Today tho, these roads keep cars away, so most of the homes up them are no longer in constant use. In places, folks still raise hay in the fields near the old homesteads thus keeping the roads somewhat open. You have to figure in between every hill is a stream and there are typically roads on each side of the hill, so there are a lot of crossings and such. Makes it nice for me...:ricky
    klaviator, B10Dave, JRowland and 3 others like this.
  2. Chethro

Oddometer:
    I started out on an hour ride to test a performance upgrade on the TT. It was overcast and 75. :ricky The next thing I noticed it had been 2 hours, then 3 and I made it home after 4. :lol3

I installed a Mistral Vtwinboost dongle on the bike. It looks to be a an extended temperature sensor that you can run right to the air intake. It is supposed to help with decel poping and give a slight power boost when used with an aftermarket pipe. All I have is the cat delete Y pipe, but I did notice quite a bit less decel poping. I really tested it on some hard curvy roads that really had you getting on and off the throttle. I plan to install the GTM SAS block off kit too and then get a Mistral carbon fiber exhaust next Spring. I really like the sound of the Mistral verses the other brands. It doesn't sound as good as a V7 with Agostini's, but it's the best sound of all the TT pipes I have heard.

No funky alarm codes were thrown, so I think the TT is ready for the Grappa. A little fuel and a quick clean and she will be done. Time to put the extra bags on...

8_11_2021-3.jpg

8_11_2021-5.jpg

Imagine a series of S-turns cut out of the rock that look like this one on Rt119...:tb

8_11_2021-7.jpg

How can you stop riding when you are going thru places called Paradise, Romance and Harmony?

8_11_2021-8.jpg

I did wire tie a small clip board to the tank bag. It holds some cut up maps to help guide me when the GPS goes nuts.

8_11_2021-2.jpg
  3. Higher Logic

Higher Logic Delightfully Altered

Oddometer:
    What is this map thing you speak of ?

Isnt that something off of a V 7 Ambassador ? :lol3
    Chethro likes this.
  4. Chethro

Oddometer:
    I had my map out last Sunday when I encountered a closed road. Seems to happen more and more here. Who knows where the GPS would have routed me. :loco Old Tech saves the day...again.

In an unrelated note, I ordered the Mistral slip on last night. Turns out they are putting catalytic convertors in all new pipes. AF1 had one stainless left in stock without them, so I bought it even tho I really wanted the carbon fiber one. Oh well, this is the only pipe which I like the sound. The others seem to dirt bikish. :roflReminds me of my old Yamaha 60.

Bill will hear me now when I pull up to the Moto Grappa!
  5. Iron Cross Junction

Iron Cross Junction Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Va.
    Good. Had Mistrals on my late, oft-lamented, now-lost Ballabio. Grand -- nearly inimitable, actually -- basso profondo sound.

Apropos GPS, I posted these pix on ADV elsewhere recently, but gives you an idea of what happens when one -- with I being the "one" in this case -- forgets to leaven technology with common sense.

I was leading a group from Atlanta to Buena Vista, the then-site of the Virginia Moto Guzzi rally.

I was in denial as the GPS took us down a paved, then gravel, then dirt, then into a guy's yard!

The GPS insisted that there was a bridge there and the road continued on to the other side of the significant creek. Doh. Obviously not.

The owner was livid at first, but quickly went into super nice when he realized I was just stupid, not mean.

He said he thought that the bridge washed out 30+ years ago, tho he had only lived there about 20!

His wife never put down the shotgun. :hair

As you might guess, drinks were on me that night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"No, Sir. It doesn't look like a road. Yes, Sir, I was stupid.” :fpalm

See you next week. In the meantime, we are in N.C. visiting family, back tomorrow. Then, I'll ride (the EV) to Erie on Sunday, back Wednesday. Looking forward to your visit. The V7 III is waiting patiently on the lift for your electrical skills.

[​IMG]

I'll have that filthy rear cleaned before you put on your surgical gown. :D

Bill
  6. Chethro

Oddometer:

Easy, I'll have my wire cutters on me and will give'er the old WV smoke test when finished... :devildog :eek7 :eekers

If there is no fire, we're good. :D A little electrical tape and the rest will buff...I'm sure.
  7. Chethro

Oddometer:
    With the goodies I'm bringin we should be able to fix the cosmetic issues too...

Should be looking fine in short order.

Capture.JPG
  8. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:

:fpalm

:pep
    B10Dave and Chethro like this.
  9. Chethro

Oddometer:
    After mounting the Sys30 bag on top the others bags, I found it a bit of a Streeetch to mount the bike. Using parts left over from my winter fab work for the V7, I made up a C-Bow mount for the side. All that was needed was a small piece of 2x2 angle and the already fabbed V7 bracket. Drill a couple holes, C-clamp them together to get the right position and a few welds sealed the deal. :lol3 It came out straight enough so...I could have added a strut to the passenger peg, but with the straps from the bags ran up to the top bags it seems more than sturdy. There is not much weight in the side bag anyway just clothes.

On the back of the bag, an aluminum plate is bolted on along with the female C-Bow bracket. Loosen 3 straps and the bag pulls off with a key. The center bag has 2 easy access bolts and two straps. In less than 5 minutes, it all comes off.

The Sys30 would easily strap to the top of the others...

8_14_2021.jpg

It ain't pretty, but it wasn't much work to get this welded up and it lines up perfect. I may make something a little prettier this winter. Then again....:augie

8_14_2021-1.jpg

You can see the straps here.

8_14_2021-3.jpg
    klaviator, popscycle, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  10. Chethro

Oddometer:
    You gotta love Sunday Fedex deliveries of motorcycle goodies. :nod

Mistral pipe is on and even tho it's not black the stainless ain't bad. :D With he DB killer in, it isn't much louder than the stock pipe just more of a deep rumble. I will be trying it out with the DB killers removed for sure.

Tank is now full and I'm ready to rumble East if the dang weather gives me a window. Not sure now if I will leave Thursday and stop at Snowshoe on the way out or maybe come by there on the way back...:hmmmmmI may just leave early Friday and go straight to the Grappa.

8_14_2021-4.jpg
    klaviator, DCrider, JRowland and 3 others like this.
  11. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
    Chethro ventured out of W.V. into his thread's "nearby travels" category.

Today, chethro conducted a cross-border operation to the Moto Grappa at the top of the Old Dominion in Cross Junction.

[​IMG]

Must have been a frightening ride as he immediately hosed out his pants! :D

[​IMG]

More pix soon, but riding local roads awaits dry gear!

Bill
  12. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
    Chethro, Day 2.

It was a tough one for Chethro today in the Moto Grappa. :D

[​IMG]

That said, he earned it.

First, we went for a ride on some fine local roads. I had a hard time keeping his taillights in sight. :p3rry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the way back, he hunted up unobtanium fasteners for the Moto Grappa.

[​IMG]

Then, he installed a Fuzeblock on my V7 III. I questioned drilling into the battery to mount it, but he assured me this was the Mandello school solution. :hmmmmm

[​IMG]

Bill
    MCGMB, SoloRider73, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  13. Chethro

Oddometer:
    It is Guzzifestivus! A nice 4 day trip aboard the TT. First leg was home to Snowshoe WV. I left with the roads mostly dry and the remnants of Fred coming behind me the entire way. Fred did catch up to me for a few sprinkles, but it was mostly just damp roads the last few hours before hitting the Morning Glory BnB.

Day 1: Spencer, Clay, Birch River and Cowen WV...Tail of the Skunk! TT rumblings echo thru the hills. :ricky

8_22_2021.jpg

8_22_2021-1.jpg

8_22_2021-2.jpg

Craigsville -- A little Geno's Pizza, but this allowed Fred to catch up to me. It was worth it. :dukegirl

8_22_2021-3.jpg

Next, up to Rt 150. The Cranberry. Not an overly exciting road, but not boring either. It is all about the views here.

8_22_2021-4.jpg

8_22_2021-5.jpg

8_22_2021-6.jpg

8_22_2021-7.jpg

8_22_2021-27.jpg

8_22_2021-63.jpg
  14. Chethro

Oddometer:
    Day 1 continued...Then Rt219 to Snowshoe.

8_22_2021-31.jpg

8_22_2021-32.jpg

8_22_2021-29.jpg

Day 2... I left Snowshoe and went by Cass, Greenbank, Seneca Rocks, Petersburg, Romney to Cross Junction VA. It rained on me for just a short time, but I didn't get very wet. The roads were soaked from overnight rains tho. After an hour or so, the roads dried up enough to have some fun. :D

8_22_2021-36.jpg

8_22_2021-37.jpg

8_22_2021-35.jpg

8_22_2021-33.jpg

8_22_2021-38.jpg

8_22_2021-39.jpg

8_22_2021-40.jpg
  15. Chethro

Oddometer:
    Day 2 continued...Seneca Rocks and the light was at the wrong angle all the way up Rt28 towards Petersburg, so most pics were crap. I think this is the prettiest stretch of road in WV...that I have traveled so far. :nod

8_22_2021-41.jpg

Out of Petersburg, I went up Patterson Creek Road...

8_22_2021-42.jpg

8_22_2021-43.jpg

8_22_2021-44.jpg

Bill, it's an easy road to find turn South at the Fire Station. Don't blink.

8_22_2021-45.jpg
    popscycle, JRowland, MCGMB and 6 others like this.
  16. Chethro

Oddometer:
    Day 3 at the Moto Grappa...Bill thinking about what to take for a short ride. :hmmmmm

8_22_2021-47.jpg

He picked the one I like best! What a pair. :D

8_22_2021-48.jpg

We stopped at this Quaker meeting house.

8_22_2021-64.jpg

8_22_2021-51.jpg

Back at the Moto Grappa the WV State flag is flying. :thumbup

8_22_2021-53.jpg

The patient needing a fuse block is ready for work and the EV sits patiently. The EV has over 100K miles and you wouldn't know it to look at it or ride it according to Bill.

8_22_2021-55.jpg

Then the lovely Norge. Very nice indeed. :-)

8_22_2021-56.jpg

Thanks for the wonderful weekend Bill and Kathi! :thumb
    bomose, B10Dave, popscycle and 6 others like this.
  17. okiegtrider

okiegtrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    B10Dave, JRowland, drumdog and 3 others like this.
  18. Chethro

Oddometer:
    Day 4 going home with fine weather and almost no traffic. I only make 3 short rest stops and take all these pics from the saddle. I have to say the TT is extremely comfortable and I had no problem going 5.5 hours in the comfort tall saddle from MG. I could have easily done more is weren't for the back pain I have been suffering thru the last few weeks. No fault of the seat.

Capon Bridge

8_22_2021-57.jpg

I saw this on the way to Bill's and I just though it looked kinda cool. Reminds me of one that was in my home town years ago.

8_22_2021-58.jpg

I can't remember if this was Rt 90, 48, 72 or 38. I was in the zone all alone. All great roads.

8_22_2021-60.jpg

Tucker County Courthouse Parsons WV

8_22_2021-61.jpg

Lunatic Asylum Weston WV -- You can check out but you can never leave....:robin

8_22_2021-62.jpg
    bomose, B10Dave, popscycle and 7 others like this.
  19. Chethro

Oddometer:
  20. okiegtrider

okiegtrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you did, I missed it. Great photo!
    JRowland likes this.