Chethro's WV & Nearby Travels

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by chethro, Sep 24, 2020.

1. chethro

chethro Confidence is High

Oddometer:
    I hadn't. It's there now lol!
  2. Weldman

Weldman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dang that's a nice rig.
    JRowland and chethro like this.
  3. Iron Cross Junction

Iron Cross Junction Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Va.

Chet,

I’ll post more pix in due course … after I clean up the mess you made of the Moto Grappa. :D

Seriously, very grateful for your expertise and generosity in making the Fuzeblock happen. Give me all the tools, a video or two of how to do it, and six months, and it would still be undone — or, more likely, the Moto Grappa would be a heap of cinders and melted blobs of metal! :fpalm

I did note that you failed to mention being surprised — while using Moto Grappa’s … erm … “exteriors facilities” for bladder maintenance — by the big black snake and your jumping up on the moto-trailer to escape. I sure wish I had a pic of that. A vid would have gone viral on y/t. Seriously, hearing you shout and the trailer go bang was mighty interesting. The poor snake is probably in therapy. :clap

Bill

P.S. Kathi says “hi."
  4. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
    klaviator, popscycle, drumdog and 3 others like this.
  5. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great pics, love the captions!
  6. thadf

thadf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Too cool!!!

That’s what I do too. 4 600MW coal fired generators. 20kV each stepped up to 345kV on the lines.

Fun stuff. Sweet bike also!!
    chethro likes this.
  7. Mtneer

Mtneer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I worked at S. Ohio Coal Co. Meigs 31 mine, it along with Mine 2 supplied coal to Gavin, lived in Albany, OH from 97-2001
    chethro likes this.
  8. SwampyDeadHead

SwampyDeadHead Ride, Rage, Rinse, Repeat Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there a WV version of something similar to the smokey mountain 500? Departing from Mountain View MC Campground (Elk Park, NC) would like to check out New River/Fayetteville WV area. Maybe tick north through WV a few days and then east to pick up the MABDR back south. Figuring 7 days of riding, camping off the bike.
    chethro likes this.
  9. VADUALSPORT

VADUALSPORT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are several good routes that go through WV. The IMAT, the Tour de Coalfields and the Trans Virginian Trail.
    chethro and SwampyDeadHead like this.
  10. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    @SwampyDeadHead this too https://www.transamtrail.com/product/west-virginia-tat/
    chethro and SwampyDeadHead like this.
  11. VADUALSPORT

VADUALSPORT Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. chethro

Oddometer:
    What are you riding? Almost all roads are good. If wanting to stay on paved roads for the most part and you are doing campgrounds, Little Beaver, and Cedar Creek are good State parks with nice bathrooms. Pipestem, Bluestone and Canaan are good too. Most folks take Rt 16 up to 33 which would lead you to Cedar Creek at Glenville for a nice stay over. Next day, back down thru Heaters via Rt15 to Cowen and follow the roads I mentioned above to Petersburg. Off Rt28 hit Spruce Knob and lake, Seneca rocks and Dolly Sods. Many other routes off all these roads, so it just depends on how much time you have to do multiple smaller loops or if you just want to do a big loop. Feel free to IM me with more specifics and I can make better suggestions. :D
  13. SwampyDeadHead

SwampyDeadHead Ride, Rage, Rinse, Repeat Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks man. I will research those routes. I have a KLR with 50/50 tires on it. I ordered the WV TAT tracks delivered via email this morning and waiting on those to hit the inbox. I also added that IMAR track and the Tour de Coalfields (mentioned above) to my Gaia along with a couple days worth of research on campgrounds, BBQ and breweries. I have from Sunday the 5th until Saturday the 11th. I'm planning on possible issues getting a campsite the night of the 5th since it's labor day weekend. Public campgrounds will probably be full. I attached a screen shot of what I'm working with right now.

Attached Files:

chethro and DCrider like this.
  14. chethro

Oddometer:
    5 hours and 210 miles. Rt119 to Clendenin first. Zero traffic for almost the entire day. Rt4, 16, 33 and 5 were all attacked today along with some smaller roads. :ricky

The old part of Clendenin.

8_28_2021.jpg

8_28_2021-2.jpg

8_28_2021-3.jpg

8_28_2021-4.jpg

8_28_2021-5.jpg

Talking with a cyclist here, he said they were about to tear down this bridge. He peddeled off and his dog stopped and pee'ed on my front rim. :lol3

8_28_2021-11.jpg

Then a small country road detour...

8_28_2021-13.jpg

8_28_2021-15.jpg

8_28_2021-21.jpg

8_28_2021-19.jpg
  15. gripftw

gripftw n00b

Oddometer:
    Really enjoying your thread and appreciate you sharing.

This post made my day as I stayed in the old bank building over the summer while riding through WV. The second floor is an AirBNB. Looks like the planned lower level craft brewery is still a work in progress.

Cheers,
    Greg

Attached Files:

16. chethro

Oddometer:
    It was a brisk 55F when I left this morning. 265 miles in 6.5 hours from home to Diana to grab the WV tag-o-rama pic. Routes 33, 15, 20, 82, 4, 36 and 119 were covered along with Gassaway, Amma and Widen roads. The curves were non stop. :ricky :nod It was quite the workout both mentally and physically.

My back has been giving me increasing pain the last 3 months. It was really bad last week. Went to my Doc for x-rays and I have pinched this, out of alignment that and degenerated other things, so he is trying to get me an MRI to see what the next steps are. Today tho, the anti-inflammatory drugs had me feeling fine with no pain.

I had the DB killers out and out they will stay. The TT now sounds as good as my V7 did. The noise level is about exactly the same as the Agostini's were with DB killers in on the V7. The TT now sounds like a V8 with a big cam at idle and I can hear the rumble as I ride, but it is still not obnoxious. I'm probably losing some performance, but it enhances the experience. It still runs better and better each time I ride it. Let your left toe do a little work and she screams corner to corner. I love riding this thing more than any bike I have owned. Where the V7 was like a dance partner that you worked with to get the most out of it then starts to lose steam as the rpm's reach 5000 or so. The TT does everything the V7 does down low and then really screams as the rpm's go over 5000. :D

9_4_2021-5.jpg

I pulled off on Rt15 to eat a cracker and let an RV going 25 mph with a line of cars behind it get well ahead of me. Then I caught up to them again right here after getting the tag, taking some pics and taking another rest break. :fpalm So, I pulled off again. At least I had the road to myself by doing that, so well worth the waits.

9_4_2021-10.jpg

Dropped into Webster Springs for some lunch. A very clean and pretty town.

9_4_2021-14.jpg

9_4_2021-13.jpg

9_4_2021-15.jpg

9_4_2021-16.jpg

9_4_2021-17.jpg

9_4_2021-18.jpg

9_4_2021-6.jpg
  17. SoloRider73

SoloRider73 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome pics as usual. I always like seeing off the beaten path locations.
  18. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
    Sorry about your back; hope that gets fixed soon.

But, where does Webster Springs get their bizarre spelling for BURGOO? Lordy. :fpalm

[​IMG]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burgoo

I will be having some -- and mutton! :clap-- at the end of the month in Daviess County, Kentucky. :D

Bill
  19. chethro

Oddometer:
    More of a location than food I think. :hmmmmm Although I'm not sure. Google Maps does spell it the same.

Capture.JPG

Covid Delta has delayed our return to work. Let me know which day or if you come thru Ripley I may be able to break free for lunch since I will be working from home that week.
  20. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
    Well, how about that ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergoo,_West_Virginia

Will coordinate any gun runs near Ripley o/a 23 September. :clap

Bill
    B10Dave and chethro like this.