Chethro's WV & Nearby Travels

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Chethro, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Chethro

Chethro Confidence is High

Oddometer:
    Hard to get any further off the beaten path than Webster Springs. :lol3 You have to want to get there.

While eating lunch I tried to upload the tag pic to the ADV site and even with 5 bars signal strength it didn't load in a half hour. :confused

0.5 G service I guess....:D
  2. SoloRider73

SoloRider73 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I go to a remote location for my job on occasion. The problem is there is one tower, so you will register high signal strength if you are nearby. If there are lots of users trying to use the single tower, there is likely insufficient throughput. I can barely send a text message at the location I go to.
    Chethro and B10Dave like this.
  3. Chethro

Oddometer:
    Only time for a short 4 hour ride today, but what a nice day to ride "The Snake". :nod Temperatures were between 65-75F. Leaf density is at maximum right now and green shady tunnels were ridden thru all morning. Soon, the leaves will start thinning out and you could smell that fall is just around the next corner. My back was a little tender today and the roads slightly damp from last nights showers, so I rode at a relaxed pace...except for the smooth tar. :ricky I could ride this route every day.

The subdued burble from the exhaust was ringing thru the WV hills and there was no traffic. When I come to a stop the TT now sounds like a flat head V8. Not too loud, but just right.

9_6_2021-2.jpg

9_6_2021-6.jpg

9_6_2021-7.jpg

9_6_2021-8.jpg

I can't seem to pass up getting a pic of this old factory.

9_6_2021-9.jpg

9_6_2021-10.jpg

9_6_2021-11.jpg

9_6_2021-12.jpg

9_6_2021-16.jpg

9_6_2021-15.jpg

Another fine day to be alive and riding thru West "By God" Virginia. :-) Have a great day wherever you're riding....
  4. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Shush yourself with this thinning leaf business, there is already pumpkin spice everywhere. I’m expecting to see Christmas stuff soon.

I can smell it and feel it down here too it just came too fast :becca
  5. SwampyDeadHead

SwampyDeadHead Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the recommendation on Dolly Sods. The top reminded me of scenery out west. I’m back in VA after 3 days riding and camping around WV. Amazing riding. I can say y’all have too many deer. And rattlesnakes. Thanks again.

DDB2CCBC-34B3-40B3-B6C3-044FAD89890F.jpeg A5B4E0EA-3191-4F68-84C3-14ED53FE97DF.jpeg
    Weldman, DCrider, popscycle and 7 others like this.
  6. Iron Cross Junction

Iron Cross Junction Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Va.

More rattlesnakes than Florida!?

At least ours are smaller than ED's! :becca

Bill
    Chethro likes this.
  7. BillGsa

BillGsa Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chethro likes this.
  8. KennyV

KennyV Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Chethro, I'm going to be visiting Marlinton again in a week or so, just wondering if you may have any suggestions for FS type gravel and or fun back road pavement. Thanks much, Kenny
    Chethro likes this.
  9. Chethro

Oddometer:
    @justBert showed me that during our Maggie Valley ride. :thumb

I do think it's cool, I just don't use my phone for pics or navigation, so it would be something else to get ready prior to a ride. I do need to read up on it more because I do like the way it lays out a ride and links the pics. Thanks for suggesting it, I like to try new technology and you never know what you might be missing out there.

I really enjoy your pics too! :D

Sounds like a good winter project to dig into.
  10. Chethro

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, that is too far out of my wheelhouse for dirt road knowledge, but I did really enjoy my ride to Snowshoe last month and can suggest the paved roads below. Rt 150, 39, 20 to Webster Springs with a stop at the Custard Stand for lunch. Then back to Marlington via Rt 15, 219 and 66 thru Cass. If you end up going towards Seneca Rocks stop at Spruce Knob and Lake. It is mild gravel. Right where you turn off Rt 28 to go to Spruce Knob is another good place to eat called Gateway Family Restaurant. The "famous" 3 egg omlette and home fries I would like to have right now. :dukegirl

The William's river road dead center of the map is closed 8 miles from Cowen and right where it meets Rt 150. I really really want to travel this road. The google map pics look fantastic. IIRC it's closed for the next two years.

Capture.JPG

Have fun and drop some pics here! :D
    JRowland, Dirt Road Cowboy and KennyV like this.
  11. SwampyDeadHead

SwampyDeadHead Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    not to step on Chethro but was just in Marlinton. Look up tea creek campground that area is a lot of gravel. And farther west is big rock campground. Not saying camp there but those are in the middle of big gravel areas. Cranberry Creek area is beautiful.

Old Mountain Tavern in Marlinton is really good.
  12. KennyV

Oddometer:
    Thanks! My last visit I went to the Seneca Rocks and rode up to Spruce Knob. Great riding and I may go back as I now realize there are two ways up to Sprune Knob. I'm also going to spend time in Highland Scenic Highway and Cranberry Wilderness area. I'll also check out the others you mention. I'll post pictures. Thanks again.
    Dirt Road Cowboy and Chethro like this.
  13. KennyV

Oddometer:
    More good information! Thanks! I'll get my map out now and find all these areas.
  14. Chethro

Oddometer:
    Made it out for 100 miles over 4 hours on the DR today. Back was good up until the rough stuff started and then I had to slow way down. Good news I'm getting two MRI's in a couple weeks, not sure why two :hmmmmm, but at least I should be finding out what's wrong. :dunno

I explored more new roads between Looneyville and Gandeeville and some of the old ones from last ride. Nothing really new that was any prettier than before.

First stop, the Church of Speed presided over by Reverent Leadfoot. :lol3

9_10_2021-3.jpg

9_10_2021-2.jpg

9_10_2021.jpg

9_10_2021-4.jpg

9_10_2021-6.jpg

9_10_2021-10.jpg

9_10_2021-14.jpg

9_10_2021-15.jpg

Camp Sheppard 4H camp. There are cabins here for rent during non-4H events. Nice park on top the hill near Gandeeville. Looked like there were a few camper spots with just electric too.

9_10_2021-16.jpg
  15. Chethro

Oddometer:
    Susan had a BD party to attend and was going to do a little shopping with her sisters...what can I do? :hmmmmmWash the camper? Wash the truck? Mow the grass? I don't think so....

4 hours of roads on the TT of course! :ricky

Down Rt 14 and 36 then across 4 to Rt 16 and back 5. Beautiful blue skies, 75F and no traffic. From Ivydale to Grantsville on Rt 16 I was only behind someone for a couple miles out of 39! The same was true on 36 and 5. Ivydale to Arnoldsburg is a lot of fast sweepers and medium tight curves with the engine singing in 5th and 6th gears. Nothing extreme just nice leaning into and out of the curves. Next up, Arnoldsburg to Grantsville is tight curves with no need to shift at all. Lock her in 4th and just roll the throttle between 4 and 6,000 rpms.

9_11_2021-5.jpg

9_11_2021-3.jpg

9_11_2021-2.jpg

9_11_2021-4.jpg

Safe journey for those heading out tomorrow! May you avoid all obstacles in your path. :thumb
  16. Chethro

Oddometer:
    Camping at Pipestem for a few days again. I need to take the TT down soon and do Back of the Dragon and Rt16 all the way back up to Rt3 near Beckley. We passed some fantastic roads that I need to plan a trip for. I'm going to work on a nice route with a stay at Pipestem going down to the East of Hawks Nest and coming back thru the Western part of WV. Probably, a nice Spring trip.

Below are some pics from Sandstone Falls and some birds we ran across along the way... The smell of Paw Paw's was heavy in the air at the falls with many laying on the ground with a squirrel
    bite out of them.

9_17_2021-7.jpg

9_17_2021-5.jpg

9_17_2021-13.jpg

9_17_2021-14.jpg

9_17_2021-16.jpg

09_17_2021 19 .jpg

9_17_2021-18.jpg

On Rt 161 just in WV North of Tazewell VA at a rural rest area we snagged a pic of an Owl.

9_17_2021-23.jpg

Then we stopped above Bluestone Lake to try and catch a shot of an Eagle. Looking down at the lake I saw two buzzards roosting down the hill below the overlook when Susan said look up behind us way up on top the cliff...2 eagles.

9_17_2021.jpg
  17. Chethro

Oddometer:
    Another Sunday and another rumble down The Snake with a detour thru North Bend State Park. Temps were 60-80F, perfect weather and absolutely no traffic all day. :ricky

9_17_2021-24.jpg

Hard to beat Rt 47 and 74...

9_19_2021-27.jpg

9_19_2021-29.jpg

9_19_2021-32.jpg

I need to camp and canoe fish this lake sometime. Hopefully, next year.

9_19_2021-30.jpg

9_19_2021-31.jpg

9_19_2021-35.jpg

9_19_2021-37.jpg

9_19_2021-38.jpg

9_19_2021-36.jpg

Keep an eye out for the Walnuts on the roads my friends. They are hiding in the shadows...
    Higher Logic, B10Dave, ned37 and 9 others like this.
  18. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Making my driveway treacherous also. 5 walnut trees and only 4 squirrels on the place. They can't carry them off and bury them fast enough..:dirtdog
  19. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    @chethro is that stock seat or you have a cover on it? The Sargent seat on the BMW is for some reason no longer cutting it for me, getting hot spots after 1-2 hrs of riding, adding a sheepskin over it is not helping either.
    Chethro likes this.
  20. Chethro

Oddometer:
    It's the Moto Guzzi tall with the bump pad removed and a SitnFly mesh cover on it. The SitnFly does flow air under your rear so it may help. I can ride all day on this seat. It works for me fine. Removing the bump pad gives me room to move back and forth which helps a lot and it makes a curved bucket area.
    B10Dave and DCrider like this.