Chethro's WV & Nearby Travels

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by chethro, Sep 24, 2020.

1. BigDogRaven

BigDogRaven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fantastic pics. Love the Guzzi. Im in for this. Stunning roads, just WOW.
    JRowland likes this.
  2. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

Try it you'll like it! I'm sure you have your share of nice roads too!

I keep looking at other bikes and think about what would work better for a day tripper like me, but the two I have are perfect for what I do. The ease of maintenance on each is hard to beat. The Guzzi is just so much fun under 65mph. It really handles very good...at least for an old fart like me. There are many better and faster/quicker bikes out there, but the feel (soul) of this bike is fantastic. The rumble of the Agostini's, vibrations and torque are all very enjoyable on WV's curvey roads. It rewards a steady hand and precise inputs with higher smiles per mile than any bike I have owned. The beauty is I can have all that fun and still stay under the speed limits...for the most part! :D

I keep looking at:

KTM 790 Adventure -- Nah, hate the maintenance interval for valves and couldn't do it myself, but very tempting

Africa Twin -- Close, but the cheaper ones don't have tubeless rims

Vstrom 1050 -- Another close, but so big and I bet it's hot to ride in the summer

Kawa Z900 -- It would just be a more powerful version of what I have, I would probably lose my license ... again
  3. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bored and going thru some pictures of my first DR650 that I owned back in 2012 and thought I would post a few.

I swore off riding after a year or so with that bike after two very close calls. Then I had my thyroid removed, blood clots and a few other problems in subsequent years, so I figured if I'm going to go I'm at least going to do what I love before leaving...

IMG_1164.JPG

IMG_1158.JPG

The Mothman in Point Pleasant WV. A guy (Bob Roach) at the power plant I worked at made this and many other stainless steel "sculptures". He did these with pipe angle etc. scrap from the plant and then bead after bead of weld which he then ground down. All heat, beat and grind. He could do it all paint, carve and draw. A true artist. He even had an old flat nose 60's van/truck where he made the entire cab out of stainless steel. I would hate to think what it weighed. The door skins were about 3/8" thick.

IMG_1036.JPG

These next few pics are from an area known as Kentuck.

IMG_1007.JPG

IMG_0997.JPG

IMG_0972.JPG

IMG_0939.JPG

This is actually the road. Unfortunately, someone gated the entry from behind where this picture was taken, so I couldn't make it here this year. There is a very large rock clam shell type cave here.

IMG_0917.JPG

This is another road of solid rock about 2-3 miles long. I remember having to turn around this day due to the water being too high.

IMG_0908.JPG

IMG_0906.JPG
    RedEX, DCrider, ZigzagguzzI and 7 others like this.
  4. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still a bit bored, so off to the shed for modifications! :0-0

I have been thinking hard about storage. I need just a little more. I like the HB C-bow system, but hate the color of all the bags that go with them. I can add extra pouches to my current bags, but I like the look as they are. I was able to move my dish towel, battery tender usb converter and cords under the seat by adding a couple of bungee cords under the seat. There were four existing nuts and a couple holes to use screws available. Then your typical kayak paddle holder set up worked out just fine for holding everything nice and tight. Now, I need to figure out how to hold an 8oz bottle of water and I will be good. I think I'm going to add a small bicycle bottle holder, so off to search the internet...

IMG_3392.JPG

IMG_3393.JPG

IMG_3394.JPG

Yes, my bungees don't match, but I'm the only one that will see it. :D
    JRowland, B10Dave, klaviator and 2 others like this.
  5. AZ Africa Twin

AZ Africa Twin From the AZ High Country

Oddometer:
    Thank god you quit posting pictures of wild and wonderful West By God Virginia!

My wife wants to move back there and those pics have us both missing our old home.
  6. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:

You hear her voice in the mornin' hour she calls me
    Radio reminds me of my home far away
    Drivin' down the road I get a feelin'
    That I should have been home yesterday... :freaky

:D
  7. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well the DR felt neglected in the garage, so I decided to change my tool and air compressor storage that are currently stored in the round bags behind the Biltwell7 bag.. I have had a small pelican box for quite a while, so it's time to see if it will work.

The old...

IMG_3402.JPG

The new:

IMG_3403.JPG

It ended up fitting everything nice and snug with a few rags stuffed in, so that should keep the rattles down.

Another break then time to clean up the garage. :D
  8. Weldman

Weldman Long timer

Oddometer:
    So many great pics. God I love WV! Looking forward to 2021 to return once again.
    chethro likes this.
  9. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    A little less than 4 hours and 160 miles today. Lift off with 43F temps that warmed to 50F within an hour or so. The gizmo in the speedometer said it was 67F when I made it back to the house, but the cold side of the mountain was...er well... still darn cold, so much so I never shed a bit of clothing or changed to lighter gloves during the ride. It was a fantastic ride tho except for the one instance when a State road truck tried to smack head on an older Dodge 2500 that was in front of me. The State truck barely swung back in his lane in time. I had slowed significantly to make way for the expected carnage. Likewise, the State truck was going quite slow as we passed. Enough so, that I could give a long sustained one finger salute to the driver that was wearing a red and white Santa hat! Luckily, I was not following the Ram 2500 that close.

The V7 rumbled like a tiger throughout the day. The power pulses, so enjoyable as you snick your way thru the gears, come up to a curve downshift and start the process all over again. I was being patient enjoying the hills and scenery on Rt33 and 47. There were some ice trails crossing the road here and there and what looked like black ice in one spot, but none of it was in a curve. It did keep my speed down in the shady areas.

I barely beat fellow inmate wvJwaii to the photo challenge below. We missed each other by a 1/2 hour. Hopefully, we will meet on another one some time soon.

IMG_3439.JPG

First stop an old garage on Rt33 with a rock cliff across from it

IMG_3419.JPG

IMG_3416.JPG

Next up, an 8 sided chapel.

IMG_3429 (2).JPG

IMG_3425.JPG

An interesting tombstone.

IMG_3422.JPG

The next WV photo challenge...

IMG_3431.JPG

IMG_3437.JPG

Rt47

IMG_3444.JPG

Smithville WV

IMG_3445.JPG

I need to get a small finer resolution camera. Preferably a waterproof one. I'm considering a Fuji XP130 that has 16.4 MP which is a bit better than my Iphone XR.

Time to go out and clean up the bike and get her ready for the next ride. I may take one or the other out tomorrow before the rain... Leaning towards doing Tail of the Squirrel on the V7. :D
  10. wvJwaii

wvJwaii Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was actually keeping an eye out for redheads as I was out and about today.....make that the red heads of your Guzzi!
    chethro likes this.
  11. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    It says it has built in Wi-Fi, do you know if that means I can transfer the pics to my iPad without a cord? I hate using my computer. The price is right on this for me to give a real camera a whirl as well.
    klaviator likes this.
  12. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks like it does Bluetooth transfer. I want something small, waterproof, don't need a view finder and easy to turn on. I'm going to mount a small neoprene bag to the handlebar clamp, so I can pull it out quick and shoot. The bag below looks a little short on height, but the flap and extra depth should make it OK -- snug. It may even be possible to turn it on and snap a shot with a gloved hand. Hard to say until you get one in your hands and try.

I used similar Pentax cameras when I was crawling thru coal boilers doing inspections and it looks Ricoh is making that model now (WG-60) with similar specs. but at $320.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG
    klaviator, AK650, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  13. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is nothing more enjoyable than having a red head on each knee! :D
  14. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this, I’m gonna give one a try. At this price there’s not much to lose. It has an app that lets you use your phone to take the shot too, that will be nice for any group pics although I kind of like being off camera.
    klaviator and chethro like this.
  15. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool! I look forward to seeing your pics. Let me know how well you like it.
    JRowland likes this.
  16. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tail of the Squirrel it was! :ricky

Rt34 from Kenna to Poca is my go to curvy road close to home. One passing zone that is maybe 100 yards long on a 25 mile stretch. Every type of curve, increasing/decreasing radius, off camber you name it. Just enough bad pavement to play dodge the pot hole and still be able to hustle down the road. Nothin crazy mind you, but this roads makes me stay focused on the task at hand.

I crossed 7000 miles on the V7 this ride. The DR stands at 1700. That gives 8700 miles for the year. Maybe the most I have ever done. I know it is nothing compared to some, but for me it's a milestone....:rofl

IMG_3446.JPG

Non stop curves like this...

IMG_3448.JPG

IMG_3451.JPG

Rt62 from Poca to Pt Pleasant is not so fun. Flat ground does exist in WV! You can also see the sun poking thru ruining a perfectly overcast and dreary day. :dirtdog

IMG_3453.JPG

I saw this little jewel at the armory near the Winfield locks and dam.

IMG_3452.JPG

Time to go play in the shed.
  17. Iron Cross Junction

Iron Cross Junction Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Va.
    That little jewel at the armory is smiling in the dark just now: Army 15 - Squids, 0. :clap

Seriously, nice pix as always.

Apropos your comment about sun and overcast, I actually MUCH prefer "dreary" days (with "warm" understood! :D) to bright sunlight.

No worries about sun blinding me or oncoming drivers. I also did an involuntary "dismount" on my Griso once in a very slow 90º right-hander going from shade to BRIGHT; the sun blocked the sand in the middle of the road. BANG! :fpalm

All of that blather aside, riding home on the final leg of a ride with the sun on my back lighting the way ahead with its soft afternoon light is a priceless experience. When I manage to do that, I feel as if I am riding in an Impressionist painting. :-)

Keep riding ... and posting your great photos.

Bill
    JRowland, chethro and B10Dave like this.
  18. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bill, Safe Journeys for you too! Sand is the worst. I almost lost the DR this year in a sandy spot on a paved road. I didn't see it either.

I prefer overcast days too when it doesn't rain, but you're always rolling the dice on those days. :thumb

I hope we can meet up in the New Year for lunch again. My ride to New Martinsville was the longest this year and quite enjoyable. Perhaps, Weston would make a nice mid point. :ricky Drag Bulldog along if you can. I'm buying this time!

May you and yours have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! :freaky

IMG_1826x.JPG
    klaviator, bomose, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  19. Iron Cross Junction

Iron Cross Junction Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Va.
    Sounds good re reprising in Weston or wherever and with His Chaplainship, Bulldog. :clap

Thanks, too, for posting that pic of me with my stunned mullet expression. :fpalm

OTOH, a photo-artist such as yourself has to work with what's available. :D

Bill
    B10Dave, JRowland and chethro like this.
  20. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I came across a few more pics of my old DR650 on a trip my son and I did to Pipestem in 2012. We had a great time riding from Pipestem to the VA state line along the New River with a few stops near Bull Falls.

IMG_0859x.JPG

IMG_0862x.JPG

IMG_0852x.JPG

IMG_0850x.JPG

IMG_0844x.JPG

IMG_0841x.JPG

IMG_0835x.JPG

These shoals on the New River roughly mark the border.

IMG_0829x.JPG

IMG_0830x.JPG

IMG_0820x.JPG
    RedEX, Sonny S., bomose and 5 others like this.