Chethro's WV & Nearby Travels

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by chethro, Sep 24, 2020.

1. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Time to try and stick my toe in the water on this whole photo editing thing. @popscycle pics are amazing, so I have to up my game! I'm going to play and add a few of my old pics to this post.

v5 y.jpg

v6 x-1.jpg

DR1 x.jpg

DR2 x.jpg

I have still been thinking about storage. I would like to be able to stow my jacket in a saddle bag, so using my new tool I "tried" some out to see what I like the best. I had narrowed it down to using the HB C-Bow system which will enable me to use my current small bags on shorter trips and sunny days. I tried out the Junior 30, Orbit and Rugged bags. I eliminated the Junior 30 since they aren't C-bow. It took me all afternoon hacking around on the keyboard and the results were not stellar, but the Rugged bags look pretty good to my eye and it's a lot easier to stuff something in a top loader verses a suit case...

I still have a lot to learn on the software....:becca

v7  rugged rea.jpg

Eyes are bleeding have to stop.

v7 4x.jpg
  2. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    klaviator, JRowland and chethro like this.
  3. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    First white Christmas in quite a while.

The XP140 camera is better than my phone, but not quite up to task compared to the wife's DSLR, but that is to be expected.

Merry Christmas All!

xmas gaz.jpg

xmas crd.jpg
  4. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I committed to a set of saddle bags today. SW Motech Sys bags.

I started out looking at these. Then I made a cardboard box the size of the interior dimensions to check if my riding jacket would fit. It fit but it was a tough pill to shove it in and would probably damage the bag or jacket doing that repeatedly. I did kinda like those tho...darn.

1a1.jpg

Next, I was thinking of these, but after watching some youtube vids I figured I would just break the 1/4" plastic they are made of jamming my jacket in.

1a7.jpg

Next, I ran across these SW Motech bags and sorta liked the looks. They have a full dry bag in them, so everything will stay dry. They are twice the capacity of my current bags, so I will have more than enough room for my day trips. As far as my jacket is concerned, I bought the matching large trunk sized bag to go on top for times I might take a weekend trip or just need to stow my jacket. They don't lock, but a swift blow from a hammer or knife thrust would get you in any bag anyway. The trunk has a shoulder strap and could be carried about if you really thought you needed to.

I have the C-bow parts coming to make my own removable mounts. I'm not sure if I will use them now or not. I may just weld everything up solid for a more narrow install. I am going to make the side bags height adjustable. I like to position them where I want, so I needed to fab my own brackets anyway. After all, I gotta put some slant into them.. :D :nod

1a3a.jpg

With removable trunk:

1a3.jpg

This should make for a fun few weekends in January fabbing everything up.
  5. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    chethro....You state that you have the ability to weld up your own mounts. I find these cases; that are sold as waterproof tool storage are ideal for side bags. They hold a jacket with ease. Also can put jacket and 12 cans of craft beer in at the same time. These are mounted so that my wife still has easy access to the passenger pegs. They also have places to put two padlocks for security. Water and dust proof. Have a set on my BMW and also a set of top loaders on the R.E. twin. The Emgo top box on the R.E. is big enough to hold my full face Nolan helmet. I have a larger set that fit the BMW for longer trips that mount on the same brackets that I built. I find these cases to be very handy, maintenance free and tough. Also priced very reasonable.

ride27 121.jpg

ride27 127.jpg

ride27 129.jpg

aug 31 001.jpg
  6. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:

it does but wears your phone battery down pretty quick
    JRowland likes this.
  7. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to know :thumb I probably won’t leave it set to link up automatically now, thanks!
    chethro likes this.
  8. Iron Cross Junction

Iron Cross Junction Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Va.
    Impressive, especially your "I have the C-bow parts coming to make my own removable mounts. I'm not sure if I will use them now or not. I may just weld everything up solid for a more narrow install. I am going to make the side bags height adjustable. I like to position them where I want, so I needed to fab my own brackets anyway. After all, I gotta put some slant into them."

Still, this is official notice that your DIY skillset is annoying to those of us who flunked 7th grade shop. :D

Oh, have you considered getting a different jacket. :augie

Bill
    chethro and klaviator like this.
  9. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:

I'll search for some of those type of bags. I probably won't need that much storage 90% of the time, but I still would like the option.

What is the big brake pedal looking thing on the left side of the Beemer? A kick starter?
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  10. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't call my welding "skilled" but I can stick stuff together and it doesn't fall apart provided there is enough base metal to start with! Thinner metal turns into a hole. :rofl But, it ain't purty.

The first time I don't wear my Pillsbury doughboy jacket is the most likely time I will need it.

Thanks for the measurements they helped a lot. :thumb The bad news is it will be 6 weeks before I get them, so the fab work will go forward. My scheme will let me add them easily if I decide too.
  11. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Correct; the pedal is a kick starter. I have actually had to use it once when starter button failed to make connection to spin the starter. Some of the /6 bikes also still had them but most of the 5 spd. trans bikes were electric start only. Not sure about the early GS bikes.
    klaviator, chethro and JRowland like this.
  12. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:

Hard to believe I have never seen one before. I really wasn't sure if it was a friction brake instead due to the shape of the pedal. :D
    JRowland likes this.
  13. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    They actually work quite well. Bike on side stand and just a quick straight down jab. There is a rubber bumper at the end of travel so no shock up your leg when it stops moving.
    klaviator, JRowland and chethro like this.
  14. ned37

ned37 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    not much happening today, so i read your whole thread. lot of familiar images. i grew up in northern panhandle and my father-in-law bought 300 acres in ritchie county on cains run (28/6) between hazelgreen (rt 19) and prunty back in 1957. he also had 6 daughters, 5 of which spent the summers there. no electricity, but free gas in a house that was abandoned during the depression when everybody moved to akron. so we travelled all over that area.
    after a 15 yr hiatus, i revisited that place with a friend, a camper and dirtbikes. turned out the youngest daughter was visiting from oregon and i discovered she could actually start my 360 yamaha, so i took her home and married her. we settled back in marshall county and spent most free time on cain's run.
    your pics remind me of the dirt road into the farm. especially the one where the dr was taking a dirt nap.
    good memories. thanks a lot for taking the time to post them. :thumb
  15. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks and your welcome. :D Sounds like you had a great trip! I would have loved to ride the 360 myself! I had a couple Yamahas of that era and always wanted a 360. I still wouldn't mind one.

I lived in New Martinsville and worked at Kammer/Mitchell plant for 6 years. We lived 4 houses from the grade school and a couple baseball fields. It was great that my son could walk to school and we could go practice ball every evening. It was a great place for him to grow up in his early school years. Memories I will always cherish. I didn't have a bike then, but I rebuilt a VW Thing and we road it all over between Moundsville, Hundred and Sistersville. Below is pic of my son when we lived just outside town on American Ridge and the Thing in front of the Mitchell plant guard house..

Zach thing.jpg

x thing.jpg
  16. Tim1225

Tim1225 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_5205.jpg
    N IMG_5208.jpg
    November 2020 Ride.
  17. ned37

ned37 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hey! that's my home town!
    B10Dave likes this.
  18. Tim1225

Tim1225 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That’s cool. My Father is from East Liverpool, I am sure you know where that is. Where do yo call home now?
    chethro likes this.
  19. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few pics taken last fall on a rainy day while going down River Road between Walton and Advent WV.

Susan 1b.jpg

Susan 2b.jpg

Susan 3.jpg

Susan 4.jpg

A nicely landscaped back yard along the road.

Susan 5.jpg

Susan 6.jpg

Susan 7-1.jpg

Susan 8.jpg

Susan 9.jpg

Susan 9a.jpg
  20. ned37

ned37 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    we moved to cottonwood in central az (high desert) about 17 years ago. we got tired of the dreary weather and mud, and cutting grass.
    went thru east liverpool many times on the way to race bikes and dwarf cars around the country north of there.
    i always wondered where west liverpool was?
    chethro likes this.