Chiang Mai in January

Discussion in 'Asia Pacific' started by Cro59, Nov 27, 2018.

?

Best bike for northern Thailand

Poll closed Tuesday at 12:58 AM.
  1. 250cc Dirt Bike

100.0%
  2. 500-650cc Street Bike

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Large Scooter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Planning to rent a bike in Chiang Mai in January 2019 for two to three weeks. So a few questions are in order...

What are your favorite roads and must see places?

Best place to rent a bike?

CRL250 or small street bike (CB500 or Versys650)?

Should I plan to camp, yes or no?

Okay, ready...go!
  2. dzl

dzl adventurer wannabe

Oddometer:
    Go and see Ian.."The Bigfella" here on advrider....he has recently taken over Riders Corner in Chiang Mai and has toured extensively in the area himself

https://www.riderscorner.net/#reservations

https://advrider.com/f/members/the-bigfella.162696/
  3. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. rosmoe

rosmoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pops has a large selection of bikes at a fair price. I like the CB 500 X for the mountain roads. Has the top & side cases. The price drops the more days you have the bike. received_751257228564927.jpeg
    Cro59 likes this.
  5. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:

Samoeng loop for a fun 90 km spin into the hills just outside Chiang Mai.
    Riding up to Dog Suthep you can keep going past the Hmong villages and through the hills towards Pai. This used to be all dirt but i moved back to the West quite a while ago.
    Chiang Mai - Mae Hong son loop. 360 odd kms and thousands of corners up and down mountain ranges. Stop over at Cave Lodge 9 kms from the town of Soppong. Visit Lod cave in the evening when the swallows fly in to nest and the bats fly out. Ride over to the Karen hill tribe village from there and ride elephants from their village as opposed to a typical tourist ride. Also many caves to visit in the area. My mate John, who built the lodge should be around then and can take you on some great caving trips if you're into that. He discovered the bulk of them over the last 40 yrs living there.
    Stay overnight and continue on towards Mae Hong son. If you want you can head into the hills to visit Lisu hill tribe villages take the turn to Nong tong which is a few kms outside Soppong and keep going West. You can also take roads up to the Burmese border on the way to Mae Hong son. From Mae hong son continue to Mae Sariang. Then on the way back from Mae Sariang to Chiang Mai can visit Dog Inthanon (Thailand's highest peak). Or from Mae Sariang can head Sth along the border to Tak then loop back around to Chiang Mai.
    Worth going for a ride over to Nan province. Lots of nice curves mountain roads to and from.
    Can be cold on the bike in the mornings and evenings that time of year. 0-5C early but mid 20's plus depending upon in the hills or down in the valleys (high 20's plus).
    if in no hurry use a 250L or rally if you want to explore the dirt roads. The dirt roads can take you to tracks used by the hill tribes to get to their fields which will make you think twice about riding them since they can get really gnarly and steep.
    For the Nan ride you could use a road bike but again there are plenty of dirt roads to explore so a CB500x or AT/GS if you prefer larger adv bikes.
    Camping, nah...more fun rolling up to hill tribe villages and asking to stay and a meal for a nominal fee...you'll enjoy the experience of a vastly different culture and foods.
    Cro59 likes this.
  6. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Pops looks like the best selection. Leaning towards the CB500X since I'll be solo and a dirt bike will just get me in trouble. I can always go back for a trail riding trip later.