Chic Chocs

Discussion in 'Canada' started by drnova, Jul 18, 2006.

1. drnova

drnova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any advice for a trip to the Chic Chocs on the Gaspe, Quebec? Any must do roads or trails? Places to stay? Sights to see?
  2. scratchypants

scratchypants Loathes the impolite

Oddometer:
    Watch out for moose. I've never been up there myself, but photos of the coastal roads and villages make me think it would be hard to not have a good time.
  3. CableGuy

CableGuy Need more time to ride

Oddometer:
    I had a 2 week trip planned for the last week August - first week of Sept. but my riding partner has backed out on me. My original trip was going to be New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, labrador, Quebec, Gaspe and back. I think I need to cut that back so I'm looking at Gaspe and Labrador. I'm looking for some to ride all or part of the trip with. I have been all through Gaspe over the last 15 years on snowmobile and a couple trips around and through on a VFR. Now I'm back to dual sport riding to find out where all the dirt roads lead to. I have a GPS with all Quebec TOPO maps loaded and don't have a set plan yet. I would like to ride through to Labrador and am flexable on timing and itenerary. Anyone interested??
    Thanks...Jeff
  4. tshelver

tshelver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beween here (SE Asia) and there (Southern Africa)
    Jeff: PM me (or direct at tshelver at hotmail).

I was thinking of doing the Gaspe in early September from NH via ME and NB. I have a friend now thinking of doing Nova Scotia to Newfieland and then QC in late August, but he has yet to acquire a bike. Which is likely to be a Caponord when he gets it.

I was in the Gaspe last year (NH / ME / Bar Harbor / around NS / NB / Gaspe / NB /.home via ME), and want to go back to ride the dirt roads.

Biggest issue in my life right now is lack of tank range on my Husky TE610, which only gets about 120 miles.
  5. brodie

brodie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would reccommend Mt. Richardson for a hike. The road (paved) that runs from St. Anne du Mont down (299 I think) is quite scenic. I think that Mt Jaques Cartier is open for hiking, but verify, as they close it for Caribou breeding at certain times. If you are into high end, I have heard the Gite Mont Albert is a 4 star Inn/restaurant (I am into 1/2 star tents). I would definitely avoid 299 at night/sunrise, as moose are very prevalent and active.

If you can make other portions of Gaspe, I would also check out Forillon Parc at Eastern end, and when you come out bottom of 299, Mt. St. Josef has a road running up to top that gives beautiful views. I think it is in Schandler, off 132 (main road around peninsula)

I will see if I can upload some pics

Chris
  6. brodie

brodie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gaspe Forillon Park
  7. brodie

brodie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mt. Richardson, Parc Gaspesie
  8. brodie

brodie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mt. Richardson
  9. brodie

brodie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Forillon
  10. brodie

brodie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    near Perce, Gaspe (last one).

I have done a fair bit of riding in the Maritimes, and have actually driven from my home in NH, up to a point in New Brunswick (near Shediac) where I can essentially turn left for Gaspe, straight for PEI, or right for Nova Scotia. I sat idling for a time and decided on the spot (no bad choices).

Enjoy your trip.
  11. drnova

drnova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great photos Brodie .... and thanks for the info guys