1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Chicago area bike trailer

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Scalzitti, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Scalzitti

Scalzitti Adventure Driven

Oddometer:
    When I set my mind to do something, I usually get it done. This was my last free weekend until mid May. Being a taxman does have a few drawbacks.

The trip there was your basic winter drive on Friday afternoon, that degraded into a tough forced march by night time. I pushed past numerous wrecks, jack knifed semis in a nasty winter storm. Saturday the weather got worse, near white out conditions. In New York and Pennsylvania they were calling it a blizzard. Good news, not too many idiots left on the road (yeah, that included this idiot) - lots of vehicles abandoned on the sides of the road - and even thought the road was barely visible, the 4 wheel drive pulled the trailer through it all with not a complaint. It was kind of scary when I was either passed by a semi or when I did the passing. For about 5 seconds (although it seemed much longer) it was total whiteout, as the snow and wind kicked and threw the snow around the vehicles - no semi - no road - no vision at all - just crossed my fingers, said a prayer and kept the pedal to the metal and weel true!

The bike was in great shape - low miles - well cared for - and now all mine. The seller is a terrific individual who needed the cash and not a second bike, so we were both at the right place at the right time and in the right frame of mind. Looks like I have a new friend to visit on my way to Maine this summer.

Sunday's ride back was a cake walk. Made terrific time and got home by 3:30 pm. Took 7 hours to go almost 500 miles Sunday while it took over 12 hours to do similar milage on Saturday. I'll post a few pictures when I figure out how. Looks like the browse command is gone and I don't feel like posting to the web now. Will do soon. Anyone riding this weekend?
  2. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    glad it went well, and you are home safe

of coarse we are riding this weekend, and after a journey like that I hope you'll join us
  3. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    Cograts on the new scoot. Glad it worked out.

We want pics, we want pics, we want pics, we want pics.
  4. Scalzitti

Scalzitti Adventure Driven

Oddometer:
    Here's few photos of the bike in it's previous home - FreeThe Beast's New Hampshire garage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what Andrew saw on his way to Utica. It got a lot worse after we left our meeting place at Exit 30 form I-90 in Herkimer, NY.

[​IMG]

This is the hotel where we exchanged the bike for cash. We're on the leading edge of the storm. It started snowing here about 2 hours before the photo was taken.

[​IMG]

I only wish I taken my camera. The photos of the bike and trailer in the morning covered in snow and ice would have been a classic. Not to mention pictures of the storm and the cars/trucks on the side of the road. Oh well, another reason to spend money.
  5. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
  6. LIP

LIP Open Mouth and insert LEG

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the thumper asylum. I believe after a trip like that you will fit right in!

LIP
  7. skadamo

skadamo I like riding

Oddometer:
    If you ever get a chance to loan something to Scalzitti...DO IT!

He just dropped off the trailer and 36 bottles of beer.:thumb the good stuff too...Negro modelo, new castle, sam adams. He even had the side marker lights rewired...they had not worked since I bought the thing.

OK, I got some beers to drink...
  8. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    hey scalzitti.
    wanna borrow my truck :evil