Chicago area dirt mongers

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Taki, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Taki

Taki Waiting for Godot

Oddometer:
    Anyone up for an early Sunday morning dirt ride?

Chicago western suburbs... I am open to any ideas.

Schmitty? Brad? Miro?

:wink:
  2. r_crabb

r_crabb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would be, if I didn't have so much work to do on the Dakar (post divide ride, see ride report elsewhere). Where were you thinking of riding?

Robin
  3. Scalzitti

Scalzitti Adventure Driven

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for dirt minded riders to go out with. I bought an 02 GS Adventure in Feb and have put about 12,000 miles on it. I hate to admit only about 500 is on dirt/gravel. I'm a street boy with little dirt experience, but hope to change that. Keep me in mind for the future. I'm teaching an MSF ride this weekend and next weekend I'm leading a Lake Michigan 1000 for one of my mc clubs. Are you planning on Fall On The Farm? If possible I'd like to get some dirt rides in before that. I can always free up time in the afternoons, if your schedule is flexible, maybe that's an option too. I live in Lake Zurich. Keep posting.
  4. Taki

Taki Waiting for Godot

Oddometer:
    We have a good "technical" dirt riding area near Batavia. The area includes woods, double, single track, sand, steep hills, really steep hills, verticals, jumps, ect. Thumper country.

Scalzitti, if gravel roads are what you are really looking for I am sure we can organize such a ride. I ride a KTM 950 for them types of roads. :nod

Chain is the gravel back road master though... :bow
  5. bvkamp

bvkamp agent provocateur

Oddometer:
    Hey Taki. I'm probably out for this Sunday - family stuff. While you were out of town I joined The Fist and the Freeman bros. for some riding at the Buffalo Range. It was a little busy in some of the main sections, but really not bad. The best parts were some of the "unofficial" trails (for which it helps to have a guide). There was lots of single track through woods (from easy to very technical), a motocross track, and a flat dirt track. I learned a lot and had a great time. We should go back soon.
  6. motojoe

motojoe Arrest Cheney and Bush

Oddometer:
    too bad your busy this weekend.
    any one else up for the buffalo raqnge?

joe
  7. Taki

Taki Waiting for Godot

Oddometer:

This Sunday I can go early but need to be home around noon. With a bit more notice I can get for longer rides. Let me know if that works.
  8. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    Im heading out to Buff Range this sunday --

Joe - I don't think Duncan (00dirt) is gonna make it; should we try and arrange a pick-up at your place, say 7:00 ?

We ate breakfast at the Green Mill Diner in Ottawa (it was fantastic!) and plan on doing the same this weekend. We could meet there 'round 8:30 or so.

All are welcome of course... Anyone else interested ?
  9. McD

McD Nothing

Oddometer:
    I hope to make it out there this time. I'll find out Friday night.
  10. Taki

Taki Waiting for Godot

Oddometer:
    Everyone trailering?

90% sure I'll be there.
  11. McD

McD Nothing

Oddometer:
    Where is this dirt near Batavia? :ear
    I've got a few gravel roads that haven't yet been turned into bicycle trails or subdivisions. It's not too bad for northern chaingolia but I'd be interested in finding more places to ride.

If I can make it on Sunday, I'll be riding out there.
  12. Taki

Taki Waiting for Godot

Oddometer:
    Check your PM
  13. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    Myself (and probably joe, although we haven't heard from him yet) are trailering...

For those of you who haven't been to Buff. Range before, I would warn against riding anything over 600 cc -- even a KLR will be a big pig compared to the many 2 smokes and 400 cc (& below) 4 strokes... I have yet to see a 600cc bike out there yet but I am not saying its impossible -- just keep in mind that much of the terrain is tight technical trail riding with plenty of hill climbs and the occassional river/bog crossing... I don't want to discourage anyone from going but understand that this is singletrack --
    Bring lightweight MX gear (not street gear -- you'll sweat your ass off) and plenty of water (Camelbaks recommended)...

Anyone want to meet for breakfast ? Green Mill Diner in downtown Ottawa...
  14. Taki

Taki Waiting for Godot

Oddometer:
    How did Brad do with the SXC625?
    Diner at what time?
  15. motojoe

motojoe Arrest Cheney and Bush

Oddometer:
    So is everyone talking batavia or buffalo range?

I would have to be trailoring as I have yet to get my bike legal. Plus the dunlop knobbies would disapear by the time I hit the check in. I ordered a set of mt21's for the 400 so I can get it ok'd for a plate sooner or later.

My KLR is still sitting waiting for a clutch cable. Might just have to order one from the dealer. Anyway I hate to say it but, I guess I wouldn't do the buffalo range on a KLR650. That bike is for the chain rides., commuting, back roads and easier off road. The hills would get to be more of a chore than a blast with that weight.

Fist, I guess I didn't think about the 11 hour ride to the fall color ride, probably gonna skip that with you.

Anyway I gotta get some riding in this weekend regardless.

joe
  16. Taki

Taki Waiting for Godot

Oddometer:
    Smells like Buff range to me
  17. McD

McD Nothing

Oddometer:
    Ok, I guess I'm out with the KLR as far as Buffalo goes. If you wouldn't do it I won't either. Saw some nice gravel SW of Joliet while riding 2up with McD wife the other night. Maybe I'll break out the gazeteer and check that out on Sunday morning.
    :nod
  18. Taki

Taki Waiting for Godot

Oddometer:
    If you all want to go out for blacktop and gravel that works too... Make a call I'll be there, just want to ride :nod Schmitty is on a DR650 which may be too much for Buff range.
  19. trailuser

trailuser take the backroads

Oddometer:
    I might interested in going. I know most of the "unofficial trails".....

Joe in Marseilles
  20. Taki

Taki Waiting for Godot

Oddometer:
    I'm "cornfused". :ear

We should go to Buffalo, and form two groups, small bikes 600cc and under, and 600cc and over. Enjoy the ride, stop worrying about the where and how

Sound good?
    :ricky