Chicago area dirt mongers

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Taki, Aug 4, 2004.

1. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    ok ok
    big bikes meet up then ride to buff via scenic back roads do a few loops maybe some sliding round the dirt track then make a nice scenic other than the way you came ride home.

US 6 out of Joliet to 47 cross river at Morris
    W on Southmoor to Sabona W
    to Gonnam S on Gonnam to Dupont
    W on Dupont to 25th rd to 27thn rd
    to S ottawa

Nice ride

small bikes .trailer to bufff, ride hard, break shit (its ok you got a trailer). then beat it home on the highway

its all good

just my .02

cheers
    chain
  2. Taki

Taki Waiting for Godot

Oddometer:
    Yeah :thumb
  3. bvkamp

bvkamp agent provocateur

Oddometer:
    I did fine. The SXC doesn't really count as being over 600cc. It only weighs a little more than the DRZ400. You'll have a blast, trust me. :nod
  4. motojoe

motojoe Arrest Cheney and Bush

Oddometer:
    really its not the weight of the klr that scares me its the size and weight up front and the poor suspension, though I would do it if others were also doing it on 650's and I had a damn clutch cable. I ordered one online a couple days ago its backordered, ordered one from the dealer today so I will have a spare from now on.

I think it would be real challenging in some parts but doable and fun in others, I just wouldn't want to ride with a bunch of guys on lighter bikes as the only 650 b/c I would slow em down a bit. Once I get my klr on its feet I will get mcd and others with interest in on a 650 day if yall dont do it this weekend, or if you guys do it again.

joe
  5. Taki

Taki Waiting for Godot

Oddometer:

Thanks. I'm in then
  6. SCHMIDTY

SCHMIDTY n00b

Oddometer:
    I am definitely going to the Buff range on Sunday. Any chance I could catch a ride if you are trailering out there? I live in Glenview just off 294. Either way I'll see you there. Thanks
  7. SCHMIDTY

SCHMIDTY n00b

Oddometer:
    Me too. I'm in for sure.
  8. motojoe

Oddometer:
    if your in glenview we could prolly do it I will send y"
    ou pm

joe
  9. McD

McD Nothing

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a plan.
  10. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    Where were all you people BEFORE I sold my DRZ? :puke1

Jon
  11. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    Sounds good --

I will be at Joe's 'round 7:00 am and sounds like I will be driving w/ Schmitty --

If anyone wants to eat breakfast at the Green Mill Diner, I'd say we could meet there 'round 9:00am or just head straight to the Range -- my vote is to go straight the 'range --

I like the idea of forming two groups --

My # is 847 899 1155 (cel) --also, I have motorola walkee talkies that I keep on -station 4- substation 20...

See you guys there --

BTW- Jdiaz; to answer your question -- I was too busy spending money on a 1995 R1100GS..
  12. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    The Fist up, on the road, and at the destination by 7:00am........... :poser :razor :rofl :lol3 :oscar :bore
  13. motojoe

Oddometer:
    Hey I bought it!
    :lol3
  14. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    Great things can happen when you're not under the control of the british empire -- :freaky
  15. motojoe

Oddometer:
    cool
    its almost time to ride
    sweet
  16. trailuser

trailuser take the backroads

Oddometer:
    I'll be at the Green Mile on Ottawa at about 8:30am. I'm bringing the DRZ and the DR650.

b
  17. katoom525

katoom525 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have fun, I'll make next time. Checked this out to late.
  18. McD

McD Nothing

Oddometer:
    McD and his KLR got their ass kicked at Buffalo Range. :nod
  19. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    Brief Ride Report -- (sorry, too busy riding for pics)

McD is a bad-ass :gun1
    Without fear or regard for personal safety, McD braved some tight-ass singletrack, hill-climbs, mud pits, and cornfields; all on a KLR650 -- bravo my man, bravo.

Also on a 600cc + steed, Schmidty tore ass through the woods on his DR650... These guys are f*ckin' crazy -- :loco

Unfortunately, Taki 'n' Schmidty have these instrusive institutions that beckoned them home by noon (I think they were called "families" or something) -- leaving vstromrunner, motojoe, and myself to see what kind of trouble we get our drz400's into.... we found plenty.

By about 3.00pm we were all quite confident in our skills and machines. The sun was shining and motojoe said "From now on, if we see a hill, we take it." Great mantra, right ? Sure, if you're a billy-goat. So, we hit whatever hill we could find; up, down, over and over. And then came the mother of all hills-- I take charge and rip up the loosest, steepest climb I have ever encountered. Riding up in 2nd gear to avoid the wheelie-flip over, I get about 3/4 of the way up when I hit a bit of sand-stone step-rock and flip the bike over and to the right. This was the trend that would continue to plague all those who followed. Finally after huffing and puffing our way up the hill, often running next to or behind the bike, we all made it. Exhausted by the strain and energy exerted getting up that damn hill, we decided to call it day... a fuckin GREAT day !! :thumb

So...let's talk about next week -- should we hit Buff Range again or can anyone hit the road for the weekend and head up to Wisconsin or Michigan?

I'm up for anything... dualsport, trail riding, whatever...
  20. motojoe

Oddometer:
    I got a three day weekend, all day saturday night then all day sunday then all day sunday night for riding :thumb