Chicago 'burbs to LaCrosse this weekend??

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by kfsinc, Jun 23, 2004.

1. kfsinc

kfsinc Chaingolian Observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gues my last titled sucked as no one responded. :nod

So I'll try again:

:deal

Saturday about 10 am:

Leave Crystal Lake area for the Mississippi river. Ride the river roads to LaCrosse, WI. Food, Drink and sleep (motel) in LaCrosse.

Sunday morning:

Return to Crystal Lake by noon (at least for me as I have to pick up #2 daughter at ORD).

Mostly road, little if any dirt. Mostly sane riding as I'm a chicken shit

Mogwai's coming down from da'North to join me.

Anyone else in??

PM me if you are and I'll send details.

kfs
  2. motojoe

motojoe Arrest Cheney and Bush

Oddometer:
    thats good riding, but try the iowa side one way and wisconsin the other. better to see two sides of the river. Wish I was headed that way this weekend its always a nice ride. Did it about three weeks ago, had a nice time with some friends.

Good luck and ride safe

joe
  3. kfsinc

Oddometer:
    Thanks Joe!

Any specific road recommendations?

kfs
  4. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    Double-check motel availability in LaCrosse. They seem to have a ton of softball tournaments every summer.

From Xtal Lake, get to New Glarus, WI. Take Wis 39 west, then 191 to Dodgeville. Take 18 west out of Dodgeville, and about one mile west, take the first county road on the right, which is "Q". You want to wander up to Boscobel via county roads Q and M. From Boscobel, get up to the top of the bluff at Gays Mills, then take 27 to Viroqua. Then pop down to the river at any point and wander up the shore. Watch out for gravel in the corners, since most of these are farm roads.

Jon
  5. kfsinc

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jon!

wish you could join us.

kfs
  6. motojoe

Oddometer:

the great river road, a well signed route(square white signs with green emblem) in iowa between dubuque and macgregor is really nice no traffic and i rarely see cops outside of towns. If you do hit this section you will go through Balltown Iowa. In balltown theres a restaurant called breitbachs, awesome food, breakfast buffet is excellent or if your not gonna stuff your self into sleepiness get the eggs benedict. The lunch buffet is good too, a simple spread but all is delicious fresh and quite filling for i believe seven bucks. I always stop there and it has always been worth the stop. Also if you are headed on the great river road in iowa the scenery is great (for the midwest) and the road really gets nice (fast sweepers new concrete paving) a bit north of dubuque. I do watch my speed in mcgregor and marquette iowa, the combined police (mar-maq) police are always visible in the two towns which occupy a combined two or three miles of river front just across the river from prairie du chien Wis. The road is pretty good all the way up to the minnesota state line which is where you could cross to lacrosse and hit the wis stuff on the way back or go reverse and hit iowa on the way back. I have found on weekends the wisconsin side seems to have more traffic and rvs.

my favorite section is right between balltown and millville. kind of on top of a big ridge overlooking the river and winding along on brand new pavement. If you want gravel and dirt roads you can always take any side road from the river road and just poke around, theres plenty of it.

I dont know any of the road names or numbers but the route is well marked and pretty nice. If you dont hit it this time it would be worth heading out for again IMHO.

post pics and details of where you do go.

best of luck on weather.
    joe
  7. motojoe

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah and maybe we can get a route planned and do a chi town adv rider Illinois Iowa Wisconsin and minnesota ride later this summer if we all kinda peice together a route from our own experiences in the area, I know a few folks that would do it up.

joe
  8. kfsinc

Oddometer:
    Thanks Joe!

I'm most likely going to have to slab it back Sunday as I have to pick up my younger daughter at ORD by 2:30 on Sunday -- and she won't appreciate it if I'm on the bike...

I will take your suggestion on the Iowa side going up.

As for a ChiTown ADV ride -- September would be better for me for overnight.

Day trips can be fit in between family stuff.

Karl
  9. motojoe

Oddometer:
    did yall get some pics?
  10. kfsinc

Oddometer:
    but only a few -- I'm a lazy ass ride report writer.

The one I missed the most was at Blackhawk Farms. NE Superbikes Club was having a track day. Lots of sport bikes lined up ready to run including a Rockster and an 'S' (might have been a boxer cup prep). Nothing running as it was lunch break. One GS, but not on the track. Got a few miles down the road and realized I'd not taken any pics.

Now, let's see if I can remember how to link together lots of pics in a post...

Stay tuned.

kfs
  11. kfsinc

Oddometer:
    Started out at home, loaded (the bike) and ready to go. The GS won't tow that boat so it stayed behind :D . I was going to meet up with Mogwai in LaCrosse, but scrapped that plan due to a very late start -- next time!

[​IMG]

Thanks to JonD, and Motojoe, I charted a route through southern Wisconsin headed towards Prairie du Chen. The original plan was up the west (Iowa)side of the Mississippi and back down the east side (Wisconsin). Promptly got off the route and ended up in New Glarus (which was scheduled for the next day) for thier summer festival. Hard to beat this kind of small town America!

[​IMG]

Windmill farms are a new sight here in the midwest -- here's one outside of Dodgeville, WI.

[​IMG]

It was realy tempting to ride along this service road, but the NO Trespassing sign (out of the picture) scared me away -- I know, I'm a whimp... :nod .

[​IMG]

Next stop was Wyalusing (did I spell that right??) State Park. Don't know who this guy is...river was high (think he was too :wink: , [​IMG]

But not as high as it has been :eek1 [​IMG]

Train tracks on both sides of the river, only got stopped by one train.
    [​IMG]

Started to get dark and I was a long way from LaCrosse! JonD suggested booking a motel ahead of time -- of course I didn't :cry .

Stopped in several small river towns and found a 'room to rent', but opted to push on to LaCrosse. In Lansing, IA, ran into a BMW RT rider who was headed to the gambling boat down the river -- he bought me a beer :freaky (thanks!) and I didn't get a picture. He pushed on down river and I proceeded up river, but only after crossing this steel bridge over the Mississippi -- don't look down! :eek1
    [​IMG]

Found a hotel with a vacancy in LaCrosse about 10:30, Taco Joe next door, bar a block away -- Perfect! The room next to mine had a Ducati and an Aprila outside -- never did see them...

Leaving LaCrosse in the morning I came across this guy -- the sign says that HE is the King of Beers -- and here I thought it was Budwiser!
    [​IMG]

He presides over the 'Worlds Largest Six Pack"
    [​IMG]

One of my favorite roads was this one outside of Prairie du Chen, WI.
    it's about a mile long with no traffic!

[​IMG]

One last shot of the Mississippi - makes me wish I had that ski boat I left in the driveway at home -- sure would have liked to rip a few slalom runs on this glass!

[​IMG]

Got home just in time to shower and run to O'Hare to pick up the family -- only a little late... :thumb
  12. motojoe

Oddometer:
    cool pics, too bad time is such a factor in all of our rides. well theres always retirement.
    we got some pics too from the ride we did downstate, check em out in the illinois sand skills post
    joe
  13. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    nie ride kf good to see you got out and went somewhere.even took a few photos :thumb make youre way downstate sometime and well ride plenty of windy traffic free roads might even find time for a cold beer. btw the king of beers lives in elmwood IL

chain

dont worry you dont have to take that big pig in the creek :lol3
  14. bvkamp

bvkamp agent provocateur

Oddometer:

:nono Tell the truth, Chain! :lol3
  15. kfsinc

Oddometer:
    Chain -- I will be down as I want to join your Dynasty.

As for taking the big pig into the creek, maybe Motojoe can give me lessons? (the thought of digging the pig out hurts!)
  16. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:

:wink: :deal :wink:
  17. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    There will be plenty of help.
  18. bvkamp

bvkamp agent provocateur

Oddometer:
    The only "help" I ever saw was picture-taking! :bluduh
  19. Taki

Taki Waiting for Godot

Oddometer:
    Hey Brad, when are you picking up the thumper? The suspense is killin' me.

Let me know if you need any help getting it.

Always willing to abet
  20. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    :cry