Chick on the road....

Discussion in 'Australia' started by GSDane, Dec 4, 2007.

1. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking the Flinders Ranges and the Birdsville races in late Aug/early Sep at the moment Dave, doing some mileages -times as I type!
  2. GSDane

GSDane Ride like a girl

Oddometer:
    I LOVE the DAKAR...
    Great bike - really easy to ride both on the bitumen in traffic and on the dirt roads.... and pretty simple. Haven´t tried the standard F650GS (not Dakar version) - prefer the taler and more dirt friendly version.
    With the panniers and stuff it does get heavy - meaning sometimes a bit too lively at loose gravel and sand - but it can definitely do the job and I think it is one of the best bike for the purpose (not that I have a wide range of experience... but lots of people agree!) (and no way near as heavy as a 1200GS... :lol3 ).
    Got a R80GS from 1997 at home as well... it will also get you anywhere but the Dakar is more fun! (Guess when I get back home I´ll have to get an even lighter bike... with no room for panniers!! :D )

Anyone else with inputs??
    [​IMG]
    Gee... those pants used to be nice khaki coloured... but not anymore after two weeks on constant sweating :fitz - anyone got a transportable washing machine:rofl

Frank.... thanks for the hints about photo shooting.... I´ll keep it in mind!

By the way... any great rec. for the south western corner of WA???
    I´m starting for the Nullabor when I´m done here... :type

Cheers... GSDane.
  3. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can't go wrong in the SW corner - it's all brilliant!:clap
    Make sure you stop at a few of the Australian Bight lookouts along the Nullabor. Cape Le Grande National Park, East of Esperance, has some nice spots but the jewel is Cape Arid NP further East and Isrealite Bay. Good trip to get there and the best beaches in Australia there.

If it weren't for the big bushfires I would have recommended the Holland Track but it's closed at the moment:cry . Sticking to the NP's along the coast will see you right - Fitzgerald River, West Cape Howe, D'Entrecasteaux, Leeuwin-Naturaliste. I've camped at a couple of these and enjoyed them all. If you're not concerned with heights, check out the "Valley of the Giants" just West of Denmark (which you obviously have to vists to btw). There is also an apiary along that road that is worth a look and some honey tasting. They have a cool display of a bee hive where you can see the bees arrive, shuffle their way along a glass tunnel and into the hive.

Stirling Ranges are good with camping there and some gorgeous dirt roads, including a couple that will test your focussing abilities (a bit corrugated when I was there last!).

You have a place to stay as you get closer to Perth (you can visit your crate:lol3 ). I am about 30km's South of Perth along the Kwinana Freeway. Give me a call as you closer. 0417 170 140.
  4. hludwit

hludwit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hey Dorthe:

Glad to see more of your report and more pictures two. Stay well Hydrated
    gets pretty hot out there.
  5. Dakar Dan

Dakar Dan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great pics, Dorthe and Chris Mc. Good to see the Dakar is plugging along well. Take it easy in the heat (looks like you're through the worst of it) and take heed of the bushfire warnings in WA.
  6. GSDane

GSDane Ride like a girl

Oddometer:
    Done deal... Arrived in Norseman last tuesday after the Nullabors 1200 km - a bit sore bum but otherwise than that a pretty great trip (except for the straigth stretch.. 146km combined with increasing heat and a hungry stomach almost killed me - I´m not good at being hungry :lol3 )... but you´re right - it is a long trip!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Look out from the Nullabor... don´t want to loose your step that 90m down :cry
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A tiny part of the 146,6km straigth piece :ricky

Turned right in Norseman for Kalgoorlie... went to see The Super Pit (open cut mine, 3,5x1,7km + 500m deep)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    26.000$ for a tire change... :eek1

[​IMG]
    Visited the RFDS in Kalgoorlie - gives a good impression of the size and need of the country!!!

Headed south to Esperence and turned left!! ... to Cape Le Grand Nat. Parc and found the nice little spot of Lucky Bay
    [​IMG]
    Notice.... campsite at the right side - nicely close to the beach.

[​IMG]
    Some say it is the best beach ever.... Could might agree to that :rofl

[​IMG]
    Amazing view from up there - Frenchman Peak - 262m -in Cape Le Grand

Now heading west... Fitzgerald (if it has stopped burning... ) and Albany. Gonna stop for an oilchange at Daves place in Albany ... see ya, Dave.

Cheers... GSDane.
  7. BruceC

BruceC Been here awhile

Oddometer:

All above is spot on. Have just returned to Sydney from this area.

There's a good camping site 65km west of Caiguna and another one at Newman Rocks 45km west of Balladonia. Alternative to Newman Rocks is the western most site at Fraser Range a bit further on (there are 2 close together). No showers at any of these, though.

The roads through the Stirling Ranges were good when I travelled them 3 weeks ago. This was on an MZ Skorpion so you shouldn't have any probs on the Dakar.

Enjoy.

BruceC
  8. GSDane

GSDane Ride like a girl

Oddometer:
    Hey there....
    Whats with this weather.... inland without any water in sigth its 45deg - when I get to the coast with the great beaches its no more than 20deg... so still waiting for some great swimming at those great beaches :huh

But this Bay-View-Road-Circle out of Esperence is definitely worth a picture...
    [​IMG]
    Maybe shorter (40k) but could beat The Great Ocean Road, Vic on a good day - lookout point towards east.

[​IMG]
    Took The Hamersley Drive through The Fitsgerald River Nat.parc... only a bit coorugated and amazing landscape with loads of flora to watch - being a normally "not-flora-interested-person" it was still fantastic to watch all the different "stuff" along the roads.

The Fitzge.Nat.parc is open at the eastern end - still bushfires going on in the western end. Could see and smell the smoke from the highway.

[​IMG]
    Coming out of the parc along the Witt Rd.
    [​IMG]
    Pretty-pretty....

[​IMG]
    Heading into Albany the odometer turned 10.000km!!! (or _ _ _ _km only showing four numbers!). Gee, those last 5.000 were faster done that the first 5 :lol3 )

[​IMG]
    Arriving in Albany... to find a bolt in the bearing frame broken!! Great service and job done by Albany Motorcycles

[​IMG]
    - who also was fast and serviceminded at ordering tires - now fitted and ready for another run!

[​IMG]
    Thanks Dave.... great help with oilchange :clap

[​IMG]
    Gee... how can this one possible survive in desert sand :rofl Great fun about those tiny bikes!

Cheers.... GSDane.
  9. BurnieM

BurnieM Long timer

Oddometer:
    No photos

[​IMG]
  10. Pejie

Pejie old rider

Oddometer:
    GSDANE,
    looks like trip has been worth all your effort. I'm still trying to organise my life so i can see these places in my own backyard, let alone travel around the world to do it. Very impressive
    BTW good dog photo.

Dave, if you read this I'll be in Albany early feb on the bike. It would be good to meet up for drink/feed & meet your cool pillion
  11. Sylvia

Sylvia vir sapit qui pauca loqui

Oddometer:
    The reason no images are displayed is because the links are wrong. This link below is a lame link as an example. The target source is incorrect.

href="https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/4175820#243935277-A-LB" target="_blank">
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No image here. using www.smugmug.com etc etc

Notice on this displayed image the reference to dotk before smugmug.com and also points to the correct target file.

href="https://dotk.smugmug.com/gallery/4189422#244788583-A-LB" target="_blank">

[​IMG]

Hope this makes sense to you all and explains why we get not all the picces.
  12. GreatDane

GreatDane BMW GS Team Denmark

Oddometer:
    Hej Dorthe!

Dont know if this has been asked before, regarding your pictures, but have you sorted or re-arranged your smugmug galleries after you linked them here on your reports? Since some of them is working and others are'nt, that might be the reason. At least I has happend to me when I first started to use Smugmug, if I moved or re-arranged my photos in the Smugmug layout, they would no longer appear in forums, because the link had changed.

I know your trip is starting to come to an end, and how blue that must make you feel, but we really look foreward to seing you again when you get back home. Here's a couple of pic's to make you smile...

Gone to the beach...
    [​IMG]
    In good friends company...
    [​IMG]
    Cool rides...
    [​IMG]
    See you soon...:wave
    [​IMG]

/ Jasper (and Umaya)
  13. GSDane

GSDane Ride like a girl

Oddometer:
    Hey Jasper and Umaya.... Thanks for the pics - they really made me smile :wave - and something to look forward to while getting a bit blueish here getting closer to a flight home :2cry

Pictures....
    With the above ideas about the smugmug photos I started thinking about my settings at my smugmug site concerning access and security.... It turned out that some places I had clicked at "not to show at forums..."!! Yeah, pretty stupid ... :getiton Changed the settings and hopefully all pics will show now. :clap

Cheers... GSDane.
  14. KCDakar

KCDakar What are we waiting for?

Oddometer:
    Faaan Tastic! Now I can see all the pics!
    Dang now I have to start from the begining again! Shame shame.:lol3 :lol3

Thanks for spending the time and taking us along on your ride!:thumb
  15. hludwit

hludwit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your trip, I have enjoyed it very much. I could not wait to to get home to check your latest entry so while i am at work waiting (as Aussies would say: having a bludge) thanks! We all have enjoyed your trip report
  16. GSDane

GSDane Ride like a girl

Oddometer:
    Left Albany with fresh tires and fixed frame :clap Headed west towards ... yes, you're right - Denmark. Goodhearted people have said that I must go and visit Denmark... because it is called Denmark! Haven't clearly understood why though... :lol3 But having said this - it is definitely a nice little town worth visiting!

Visited Valley of the Giants between Denmark and Walpole and went for a walk at the Tree Top Walk...
    [​IMG]
    A short but stunning walk about 40m above the ground (if it wasn't for all those trees you would have a really beautiful view :lol3 )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Some of the trees are more than 400 years old... My shoes in the middle :eek1

Leaving Valley of the Giants I found a great road heading for the North Walpole Road... Dingo Flat Road and Loop Road. First part being nice wide gravelroad - and second part a single lane road making you wonder wheater this really is a through road or not... getting more and more narrow and overgrown...

[​IMG]
    But made it all the way to this crossing of Elsie Brook River at the end... No, didn't drop the bike :lol3

[​IMG]
    In The Mount Frankland Nat.Parc headed for Fernhook Falls Campsite...

[​IMG]
    Bike and tent look pretty small in these surroundings :huh

[​IMG]
    Dave, nope... didn't see any horses with only half a tail on this road :lol3

Stirling Range Nat. parc is not a big place... but has a major road going through - it is absolutely amazing... do it!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Better than any rollercoaster ride :clap

[​IMG]
    Caution.... the beauty of the scenery might kill you!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Caught up with Pete - Pejelo - and family in Bakers Hill... and got the see a Rodeo Show on Australia Day in El Cabello

[​IMG]
    And I thought that Aussie Rules Football was a crazy sport... :eek1

[​IMG]
    A young hopefull lad getting ready for the bullride :loco

[​IMG]
    ... and made it for about 1,7 sec. :kurt Maybe I should apply for a job.... seems as if they could use a sportsphysio...

Sunday morning... enjoyed a great local ride in The Mundering State Forest with Pete and Jessie
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pete heading for the pannier with the nice fresh breakfast...

[​IMG]
    Yummiee....!! Pete, you gotta ride that bike a bit more steady and calmly through the potholes :huh
    "Yeah, it must have handled like a pig..." quote 1. son :lol3

[​IMG]
    Discussing which way to go... again :D

[​IMG]
    ...but definitely did come up with some beautiful rides and great tracks...

[​IMG]
    A short break before...

[​IMG]
    ... heading down this track - Cavern Road. Now, this is not gravel!! This is loose rollingbyitselfincludingbikegravel :lol3
    Fortunately I was the one carrying the camera so no pictures of me and the Dakar down on the ground... :D

[​IMG]
    The above two pictures are taken walking uphill while Pete and 1150GS getting ready for roll downhill... :super

[​IMG]
    "Now listen, Dad... "

[​IMG]
    (Jessie... I'm not gonna tell anybody about how you dropped the bike standing next to it just before the pic... :lol3 )

[​IMG]
    Great ride... :clap
    And thanks Pete, Jessie and Loyla.

Cheers - GSDane.
  17. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose StuffThisI'mOff4aRide

Oddometer:
    :lurk well done :clap
  18. whitey222

whitey222 occasionally adventurous

Oddometer:
    Great stuff !

I've added the Stirling Ranges to my list of "Places I should have been to by now". Damn list is getting longer and longer.

Keep it coming.
  19. Mitchamus

Mitchamus I do my own stunts..

Oddometer:
    postie bike rule!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s0GAKuc_Is

great pics... keep them coming...
  20. kiwipeet

kiwipeet Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer: