1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Chico, Ca Dualsport Riders

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Bob Tosi, Jun 25, 2010.

1. they

they bewilderness

Oddometer:
    Kiddin me? Is there a map? Will you leave bread crumbs? I've been up there some and found bits and pieces, but 250 miles? Cheese!
    weldpro likes this.
  2. they

they bewilderness

Oddometer:
    I heard Mayaro was for sale a while back. Thought about buying it to put a house below that badass waterfall. Not too many places like that. Kind of a commute to get in and out of there. It would give me an excuse to buy a helicopter. You know, for beer runs!
    weldpro likes this.
  3. weldpro

weldpro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is the most vast area I have ever ridden. It is all that. I've been all around it but I don't even know where I am at most of the time. I've always had local guides. There are no maps of any f it that I am aware of. Need to connect with the Oroville & Chico folks.
    Klrcharlie likes this.
  4. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    The guy who operates the hydro power plant at Mayaro inherited the property I believe,and no signs of selling that Ive seen. There's the 1 road in and out that has been gated,he claims people have stolen stuff out of there.
    Its a really long steep hike to get there with no way to get a vehicle in and out unless you breech a 4" thick gate.........I cant see how a thief would get much out.
  5. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    There's no map,trails are as carefully hidden as they can be made. Its the nature of having trails in that area.
    weldpro likes this.
  6. XLEnduroMan

XLEnduroMan Husky Head.

Oddometer:
    WP_20190127_13_33_22_Pro.jpg

Jan 27, '19 pic of two brand new '18 LC4's, riding in the direction they are pointing. Rode in across some questionable road conditions. Anyway, the couple/two people we saw down in Pulga doing some work outside didn't give us any stink eye. I even stopped and turned off my bike and gave them the reassurance we weren't up to no good. Not that I thought I had to, but I like to talk to people out in the wild.
    Foot dragger and weldpro like this.
  7. XLEnduroMan

XLEnduroMan Husky Head.

Oddometer:
    After some reading of the links in some post previous...I would like to add...what was REALLY lost in Pulga during the CAMP fire? One, Two...cabins? GIVE ME A BREAK! GO FUND ME MY ARSE! REBUILD WHAT? COME ON!!!

I, AND MANY MANY OTHERS LOST EVERYTHING WE OWNED!

SHAME!
    dlock5, ChicoProf and weldpro like this.
  8. weldpro

weldpro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to see you out there having some fun on the new bikes! After what you went through you deserve some good ride days!!! Oh, and didn't you have a 630TE before? Also if you did I bet that 701 absolutely rips by comparison (I had a 630 too-great bike just mild).
  9. they

they bewilderness

Oddometer:
    I first bumped into that place in the late eighties on one of my xr500 exploratory runs. There were no buildings left by then, but you could get an idea of what was going on there. A couple of years later, an old guy that I was working with whose family had property across the canyon told me it was for sale. The people that had been operating it were getting old and wanted out. I never got a price, and if it was more than zero I couldn't have done it, I had young kids and one mortgage was a struggle, much less two. There is a lot of history there. There are pictures on the internet that show what it was like back in the thirties and forties. There was a good sized concrete dam across the creek with trout ponds, a bunch of buildings, fountains, rock walkways, bunch of work it was. School, post office, horses. They had a facility for troubled kids out there as late as the mid seventies. Guess I missed my chance to buy it. Cool checking out the old towns around here. Bunch of them.
    Foot dragger and dlock5 like this.
  10. they

they bewilderness

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've spent some time up there. I'm beginning to know my way around some. Every time I go up there, I see a bit of trail going off into the bushes. Follow it in and it might go for miles! Come out the other end and don't know where I am! The crazy thing is that with all the camping spots, lakes, and just beautiful places in general, there is never anybody up there. Haven't had my husky up there since the fire, but I see some sun in the forecast.Scared to see how bad it is.
  11. weldpro

weldpro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its BAD!!! I've driven down the canyon six times since the fire ended. Its my FU I-80 snow route to the valley, and unfortunately more & more people are discovering this easier way down or up when 80 closes(as a side note UPS uses this route for the West Sac distribution trucks to Quincy & Susanville, and have for a very long time). Whenever I drive it I notice more, and more destruction. I can only imagine what it looks like at the four corners near RD, especially looking down on Concow lake a bit further below.

It really is a low key area, and personally I've never run into other riders out there. I have ran into some seriously shady folks though on occasion. It only ever seems to have traffic around holiday weekends, and even then its not riders. I think out of all things discussed here I am most concerned about FT road having no legal right of way. Pulgatown & company can F right off since its completely public to go through but FT is a real issue. I hope the guy who got burned out, who brought the right of way issue into being never comes back. I am going to absolutely try to get up that road when spring comes around.
  12. weldpro

weldpro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not to mention BUT daddy warbucks just died a mere two weeks ago. Pretty sure she will own that place outright now, and assuming since he was a lawyer he had stuff wrapped up tight (meaning no probate etc.).
    Anyhow hope you, and your family are doing ok.
  13. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Betsy's good sized house burned flat,along with some other buildings she uses to make a living.
    Anything of value has been jammed in a shipping container due to mudslide threats.
  14. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    The 4T issue has been gone through at various meetings and mostly it is said a proper right of way was never put down on paper.
    As soon as Blue heard that he raced home and put in a beefed up gate with more cement etc. And yet the road isnt closed up top,its USFS road for the top 5 miles.
    And rocky overgrown mess for the bottom 2 miles that is private. Has been clearly marked as a legal OHV useable route for many years.

So people could drive 7 miles down a rocky road and find a gate right at the bottom. Its an issue. PG&E and Cal Fire both want access.

Sure enough its the only access from canyon side to granite basin/french creek/hiway 162 and so on. Blue got burned out and the gate is said to be open currently.
    What he really wants is the county to pay for a re-do on his part of the road,other private property owners who have never said boo have of course chimed in with Blue on the matter.

Its not over yet although there has been plenty of shouting. OHV $ may end up paying to re-do the road and we would end up with proper OHV staging up the road a ways.
    Someday.
  15. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    You never know which way money flows in an inheritance situation,usually the 2nd or 3rd or current wife goes to town about getting the largest amount of what ever is available,and law places her in the $ power seat. But he was a good lawyer so may have circumvented that.
    Unseemly Squabbles have been known to break out over money. Pulga has had 3 owners in the last 30 years,it will have more.
  16. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Something happened between the security guards and Betsy keeping PG&E and all others out of Camp Creek road,guards were there 24/7 and Betsy did not like them driving through her town on public road. I guess for some reason they had a shift change at 2 AM or some dam thing. She did something that has involved going to court,but I have no idea what goes on with that.
    There's no doubt full entitlement is involved. It does seem a little mental,an intelligent person would know she doesnt own the public road nor does she own the dirt road way up past her property lines. Scuffling with people over it will only bring attention to Illegal business practices at Pulga.
  17. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Its the equivalent of hillbilly law saying you have legal right to park on public road going through Pulga,no cop is going to drive 35 miles up from chico or oroville to deal with a minor squabble.
    There's no gate to cut so that wont work. Parking trucks there not knowing what will happen for the 6 or 7 hours they sit there isnt good.

Anyone interested contact Bill Connely on facebook and voice an opinion,hes the supervisor for the Pulga area. The more interest the more action.
  18. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have to disagree. But then I live in Red Bluff where hillbilly law stands up in court. 420.1 was pointed out to me by the local law enforcement. It is like having a missile in you back pocket.
    I got insurance on my truck, and can afford a camera.
    I would also like to point out I said "convicted" of a crime. I have no problem with going to jail. They don't want me in jail, it can get messy. But you would have to know me to understand that.

I am busy until after the Rocky Ridge, But then I would be interested on going down and pushing some buttons. If you are parking close to the Rail Road tracks I could spend the whole day in a hammock waiting for some action.
    dlock5 likes this.
  19. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    "Railroad Tracks" Hah! Funny story. Betsy told us it was OK to park beyond Pulga boundarys on RR company property,so 2 of us did so...
    I had just got my 300 out of truck and a RR company guy sprung out from behind some big boxes that hold RR stuff of some sort..........."Kenny" That crazy little MF'r tried to goad me into a fist fight no questions asked and right now,ok Im on their property and happy to leave, and now, but that wasnt good enough for Kenny. Hes a railroad bull.
    Bug Eyed crazy is a very mild way of describing Kenny,he was primed and ready,and for what reason?

I have never had someone jump in my face and want to fight like that since high school days,Betsy came down and sided with Kenny,we got the F out of there.
    People from Pulga routinely park where we did,but not that morning.
    =============
    @Hop-Sing as pointed out above the 420.1 thing is the equivalent of a traffic ticket and isnt an arrestable offense,it wont help. Neither will going in and being confrontational.
    I grew up and out of getting in fistfights maybe 45 years ago. Going to jail over parking to trailride isnt in the cards either.
  20. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let me check into this Kenny dude. Parking on the RR track property is trespassing, same as walking along the tracks.
    As far as 420.1 that is going to be the loop hole that gets things straighten out. Let me explain, after some guy or girl gets pissed because I don't back down and things escalate into something more serious 420.1 will be what gets me out of jail and the land owner then will have egg on their face.
    Like you said, most people will not stick up for their rights. I can't see someone going to jail for parking to trailride. It would be a ticket, same as trespassing. But once somebody is laying on the ground things will be taken more seriously.
    I can't see punching somebody over parking, but I can see someone laying on the ground for trying to punch me. I am to old for fist fighting, But will defend myself by any means. I would love to go down there and see what is going on. but I would probably show up when no issues happen.
    If nothing else it would be fun to make them spend thousands of dollars on Lawyer fees only to find out this Hillbilly does have a leg to stand on.

I only know about this because I may or may not have already crossed this bridge and have came out with the Tehama county cops driving out into the woods and telling the land owner he would be arrested if he keeps me out of property I paid for and have a legal right to visit. Now that he has been warned I will cut the gate down and will not take his crap.

You do have to keep lots of things in mind. the simple Trespassing issue is the biggest. are your bikes legal in every way, both registered and traveling on approved roads or ground. I would bet that where you are riding is not legal in the first place. A green sticker or red does not give you permission to ride through the forest even on public land. And I wont give you reasons why not here. But if riding is allowed and you have your ducks in a row the law can work in your favor.

I will get back to you about this Kenny guy. Seems really odd that you would have ran into him there. I don't think he would be an issue as he probably works out of Stockton. But parking on RR property is illegal and he would have major authority on that. I am more interested in Kenny than miss Betsy.