Chico, Ca Dualsport Riders

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Bob Tosi, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow. I had to go back and look at the date, twice.
    I guess I lost track of time. I had seen some of this damage but not to this extent.
    Love these roads.
  2. XLEnduroMan

XLEnduroMan Husky Head.

Oddometer:
    Anyone twisting the DS grip this Saturday?
  3. Klrcharlie

Klrcharlie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When do they open the seasonal gates on the west side? Mendocino
  4. Klrcharlie

Oddometer:
    Ride up M4 last weekend. Figured the gate was closed so hit FR 23N05, and go through Chrome back to CORNING well 5 miles in the road was washed out. So don’t go that way. IMG_1485.jpg IMG_1490.jpg IMG_1487.jpg IMG_1482.jpg IMG_1481.jpg
    apb and ChicoProf like this.
  5. Klrcharlie

Oddometer:
    Could have probably made it around the wash out but didn’t want to risk it ridding solo.
  6. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter --Crazy MoFo-- Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not surprising that road washed out.......Lots of water soaked into that soil type this winter. Piled up my 1290 in that road in January due to a hidden soft spot in the wheel track.

The pic gives me flashbacks.....Probably have nightmares now!

Same spot?

Attached Files:

Klrcharlie likes this.
  7. Chico

Chico Thief and Saboteur

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone. I grew up in Chico and after 20 years, moved back about a year ago. I've been watching this thread for ages when I need a dose of home and now that I'm living in the area, I just picked up an old xr250l to explore some of the forest roads. What's the best map for Mendocino forest and where can I pick one up? I've only been through there once and it was mid-winter on a big bike with passenger. I'm anxious to get back out and familiarize myself with forest roads around here.

IMG_2411.jpg
    apb and Klrcharlie like this.
  8. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really good connecting road. The down hill bike riders have some single track that comes down from the top and empties onto this road.
    Chico and Klrcharlie like this.
  9. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get you map in Orland at the ranger station. They are like 15 or 20 bucks but it is the best map you can get. you will need a big table to open it.
    Welcome to the group.

Attached Files:

Foot dragger, Chico and ChicoProf like this.
  10. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    After the Trial we had a rodeo, In this event we all drove around inside the ribbon and knocked each other over. My daughter and I took 3rd as I just ran into people and she pushed them with her arms. We would have won but we crashed/foot down when I hit somebody. My daughter won the balloon popping event where everyone drove around inside the ribbon trying to pop the other peoples balloon that was taped to the rear fenders. This got real crazy as people were hauling ass flat track style then turning just before running into each other with one hand out trying to get the other guys balloon. Totally crazy stuff, But the prize was a new dunlop.

Fun Times.jpg
    catfish, CrazyCooter, Chico and 2 others like this.
  11. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    I started the weekend with a sticker on my front fender that said "LOOK UP". That worked on Saturday, Sunday was a different story. I looped out on a big up and wraped my bike around a tree. took several people to dislodge it. sticker was tore, but I did it in later with a mighty crash on the loop. racing a teenager I hit something and went over the bars. I landed on my back and broke parts, got back to camp and fixed bike and limped my way to a finish.

Look up.jpg
  12. XLEnduroMan

XLEnduroMan Husky Head.

Oddometer:
    You can get the actual NF maps at Mountain Sports on E. 3rd Street in downtown Chico. Welcome back to Chico.
    Chico and Foot dragger like this.
  13. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    You should be acting your age out there,be an example for the children if nothing else.
    ChicoProf likes this.
  14. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I was out on Mt Bike yesterday,spectacular day out ending up underwater some. DSCF2910.JPG DSCF2913.JPG DSCF2922.JPG DSCF2908.JPG
    Chico likes this.
  15. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Was also at big time vintage bike races in Marysville Sunday under bridge at E-street. 360 bikes,riders from all over the country and all over the world.
    Guys flew in from europe,scotland,new zealand,etc. Guys loaned them Maicos and what ever they had. Was neat to see how much energy gets thrown at this sport.
    I was racing Hodaka's under this bridge in about 1973. Hop Sing was still learning to walk then.

Pat Brown on the red DSCF2903.JPG DSCF2905.JPG DSCF2907.JPG DSCF2906.JPG Bultaco is a friend from Mountain View CA,hes one of the very fastest guys racing these old bikes,builds his own bikes as well as bikes for others.
    He races an 800cc Triumph Twin that he flat flies on.
    catfish, Boxerbreath, apb and 2 others like this.
  16. XLEnduroMan

XLEnduroMan Husky Head.

Oddometer:
    A friend an I are looking to ride in/around the Mendo on Sat 5/11. If anyone is doing the same we should make it a group ride.
  17. Klrcharlie

Oddometer:
    So anyone know if gates are open on the west side?
  18. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think they open until the 15th. That has been the normal date regardless of conditions. If you are going around gates earlier then expect the roads to have downed trees and other obstacles. the pass is not doable yet.
  19. Klrcharlie

Oddometer:
    Oh no I haven’t gone around gates. Thank you for letting me know. Just ready to ride.
  20. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Ive never even noticed a gate on M4,all the main roads have them?