Chico, Ca Dualsport Riders

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Bob Tosi, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Black, Dark colors so you can be ninja. Also it gets cold so you will need warmth. I don't cook, I streamline eating nuts and dried meat. Meals can be had if you hit a good dumpster. I find bringing a credit card handy but it must be a secret. You have ridden almost everything going, this is more thrilling than a barrel fun of monkeys. The most powerful beast you will ever ride. But don't drag your feet, I am restless.
    ChicoProf likes this.
  2. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    My feet are kinda jacked up,is there running and leaping on a moving train involved? Like in "Oh Brother where art though" where they try to jump a train while chained together?

What sort of bedding is provided on boxcars these days,is riding on top still a thing or no.
    ChicoProf likes this.
  3. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Healthy involves Pizza and it looks good,there hasnt been any place to eat in Laporte regular for a couple years anyway.

Evidently there will also be fancy snowcones of some sort in the parking lot.
  4. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bedding, boxcars, Damn my friend the thrill is riding the "Rods". Down under, by the wheels.
  5. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Is there a permit or union card needed? Some great selfies could be taken hanging down with one's head by the train wheels and close to the tracks.
  6. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best place to put an edge on my pocket knife. Only takes a few miles. What is a selfie ?
  7. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I dont use cell phones but I know people fall off really high waterfalls and cliffs taking these "selfies". Im guessing there are no 110 A/C units in these "boxcars".............it seems like heat in summer could be an issue.
    If a R/R bull catches you do they take your participation trophy and find you a ride home? Do mass murderers really use the rails to get from gig to gig?
  8. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guitar Whitey, Spike and Dirty Face.png It is illegal to walk on RR property. It is dangerous too. The closest thing to a trophy would be having the honor to walk with this guy. As for your last question, Stay away if bad people scare you. Bob, I mean Robert Silveira got caught and is doing a double life sentence right now. Angle's numbers are way up, but he is also out of circulation. Over 80% of my FTRA friends have passed which offers me less protection than in the past. However I have stayed current and have the younger kids attention.
  9. Mdhoover

Mdhoover n00b

Oddometer:
    Anybody know what the road to Covalo is like right now? I’m in Chico and itching to get out of town this weekend. Thinking about taking my GS thata way. Also could use some recommendations for favorite overnight camp spots to hit after work on a Friday evening.

Thanks!
  10. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would bet ten bucks it is open. Ramshorn is open and it is normally open after FH-7
  11. Mdhoover

Mdhoover n00b

Oddometer:
    Way to throw down the gauntlet Mr. Hop-Sing. Guess I’ll be heading that way!
    Hop-Sing likes this.
  12. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Make it an adventure,head out Branscomb to hiway 1 and then hunt out USAL rd and camp on the beach at USAL beach campground.
  13. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    How is the retirement plan for rail riding? Mostly just a shallow ditch at railside covered in leaves or not so nice?
  14. darinm

darinm n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey all, joined here the day before the Camp Fire and finally getting around to saying hi as we were in Paradise and are now in Chico. Regarding Milsap Bar USFS has again cleaned up the slide so one can get to the river/Milsap Bar CG. Continuing up the other side is possible on a motorcycle, there was a large tree down before the South Branch Feather but it was cleaned out by kayakers a couple weeks ago. That section road has a small slide that USFS doesn't have plans of cleaning up, and in general the south side road from Milsap to the ridge is fading away - but certainly passable.
    Hookalatch likes this.
  15. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    That is a shame so many dirt roads are being let go,it would be good to keep the south side out of Milsap Bar open as a trail for bikes anyway,it was losing some edges last time we rode it.

Milsap is a neat campground with good swimming,rangers were trying to figure out a way to civilize it more as people tend to move in full time for the summer and chase others off.
    Its far enough out a dirt road not much ranger presence.
  16. oobus

oobus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went over last week Tuesday on the big bike via M4 and no issues. Saw a bear up past Log Springs, and a big one...
  17. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    How is the 990 working out? I see Jeramie got one to keep yours company,he seems a little busy though.
  18. oobus

oobus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bike is great. Went up to Brookings for the night, next day thru some beautiful country up to Madras for the night. Spent Thursday night on Mt Hood and then road all the way back on Friday with a hangover. Had one issue that makes me want to get a steering damper, but other than that, great trip that would have been uncomfortable on the 690!

Only averages 35 - 45mpg but I guess that is pretty standard for a bike of this size.
  19. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Sounds fun! I stayed in Madras once riding back from Alaska.
  20. Chico

Chico Thief and Saboteur

Oddometer: