Chico, Ca Dualsport Riders

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Bob Tosi, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    This "new bike" you want,doesnt exist. It has never existed. Ive had maybe 12 different dualsport bikes since the old days long before you had thoughts of riding 2 wheelers,none really ever worked and all were projects the whole time I had them,they were either 85% dirt/half assed street,or a huge heavy pig useless for much of anything. If someone gave me a 1200GS I would off it quick and buy something useful.

I rode a new 701 Husky and was smitten,but then it turns out they need 5K in set up to do what I want to do,after the 10K buy in. To me a dual sport is a "dual" sport,its gotta be able to do 500 miles a day on pavement at speed with out hurting itself or me,and haul ass on dirt roads,and easily carry 5 days worth of stuff,even do easy trails. Honest to dawg if I blow my DR up I will get another one and swap parts onto it.

There's reason's lots of people ride DR's around the world,they're simple,they dont break,they can be made to work and be comfortable and smooth on hiway. Ive replaced one 30.00 part on mine in 45,000 miles of hard beatings,you've seen how I ride it.
    ==================
    There is no bike made that will fit you and be right off the showroom ,that is the deal. Settup is something everyone does who wants a bike to work for them.
  2. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know the perfect bike doesn't exist. The DR has some good points. I was surprised at the power, and handling, breaking actually a lot.
    It could be that I am still a little gun shy at pushing. I might need a road bike for awhile. It hurts to much and for to long to be falling at my age.
    My body is feeling fairly well lately and I want to keep it that way.
    The DR is fun to hit stuff off road as you go by. climbing a cut bank and stuff like that is a hoot. I couldn't do that stuff on my BMW.

You have to remember even though you are 13 months older than me, you are a freak of nature. No one rides a DR or ANY bike faster than you. You can still ride a bicycle over the mountains and through the woods faster than little Red Riding Hood when the wolf was chasing her. I had to stop leaping tall buildings in a single bound years ago.

The TW 200 club is looking like a retirement plan. I shit you not. But I think I could squeeze out 4 or five years on a bigger bike. Hitting motels instead of my internal air mattress.

Oh yea, I rode a 701 also. That is an insane bike. No thanks, I ain't man enough. Maybe out in the desert, good mountain roads, But shit. They shouldn't be allowed to sell that to the general public. It's like having a machine gun to shoot cock roaches. Might be fun but holy cow !
    ChicoProf likes this.
  3. catfish

catfish Squidicus Adventurous Supporter

Oddometer:

Now you're talking! I rode this one at Songdog last month. Perfect for their sandy soils. Used to teach at a couple of sites that had TWs for training. FUN little bikes! :-)

[​IMG]

Just what you need, right? ;-)

Catfish ...
    Foot dragger and Hop-Sing like this.
  4. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a local club that rides them. They got cb radio's and take overnight trips. I am not quite ready for one yet but see it in my future I hope.
  5. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    If you got a TW,you could get a metal flake helmet with/american flag on it,maybe wear a Bow Tie. Just spit balling here.
    =============
    I dunno what kind of DR you have but mine has never made me think it was a good dirtbike,nor has it ever easily wheelied under power once in 45,000 miles. It keeps me out of trouble as I know it will stomp my ass if I push it 3% too hard it will obliterate me. Ive come close twice and I know where the bike's limits are after 11 years on it.
    Its a calm sedate bike that just barely handles well enough to keep from getting in it's own way.
    1 ride on a KLR and you know it's a throwback to 1976 and wants to hurt you in the dirt.

With yours you just gotta ride it some,get some cheap footpeg lowering brackets,Ive got some bar raisers and good bars here you can have,just scrounge up 1 or 2 things at a time depending on how much you need them. The bike does have a choke,if it starts hard the pilot jet needs cleaning in carb which is a 10 minute thing at most.
    Most of what I did to my DR I bought the parts used.

The magical thing you might not know is the DR can be lowered very quickly and is designed to be that way,there's 2 bolt holes on linkage where the lower shock bolt goes. Then slide the forks up in the clamps. Lotsa guys do that.
    ================
    Believe me,a big bike/streetbike seems cool but they get boring. There's nothing to do on them,barely use the throttle and your doing 130mph in town in front of the local coffee shop.
    I almost looped a 1000 Strom in front of Bidwell Perk. Little yuppie yappy jammers inside about spilled their peanut coloidal frappes I bet.

Ride my DR for 45 minutes or so,see what you think. They can work.
  6. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    The problem I see,is that you have your Trials Brain,and then somehow you have to deal with the rest of the world as is.
    ANYTHING goes when it comes to Trials,falling off cliffs,into pits full of cow dung,what ever it takes for a good outing and a trophy at the end. That's how you wacked your body,not riding a DR. Nothing ever happens riding DR's around. Sight seeing/smelling flowers/etc. Beating Bernice schreibe'r and Marland wailing is nice,but will never get you to Alaska and back before your too old. Hope this all makes sense.
  7. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never rode a modern dirtbike. So I might have different opinion of what that would be like.
    Gas this DR and it will wheelie off into the sunset, if you can get traction.
    I have been riding down Vestal road and seen rabbits and just chased them out through the fields.
    The bike doesn't need any trail, It will handle what I want to tackle and slow or stop in time if I see something scary.

Now about that choke, I don't see anything. Can't believe I am unable to figure that out.
    Do you leave yours on a battery tender. I have never had to do that, even on the BMW that has a clock and things running.

I could tell in about ten minutes if your mods made the bike worth putting the money of a seat and tank amonst other things on it.
    I think if I was going to do that I might want to start with a newer model.

As far as me getting hurt. It was on the loop where there should be no pressure about pace. I was racing a kid, he passed me and then I passed him , until I caught a root with my front tire on some virgin single track. I was in one of my top gears and flipped over the bars after swapping ends a couple times. I hit hard, real hard, It gave my body a good shake. Everything was torn and pulled, I had to take lots of pain meds. The pressure of laying on the bed was to much. I did take a couple of other hard crashes in the past year in the sections, Only one when competing the others where setting up events where I have to push myself to set the harder lines. Accidents happen and my worst pain from crashes in the past year is a simple joy riding crash checking out a section the morning of the Rocky ridge Trial out at Chrome. I tucked the front end in dropping off a ledge and went over the bars and got tangled in a barb wire fence. My bike landed on top of me and my helmet got stuck in the fence. The bike was stuck in the fence and my ankle was twisted under the bike and I was unable to move. A guy pulled the bike up and I was able to crawl out. He could not get my bike out of the fence, My son showed up a couple minutes later and saw me sitting on the ground and yelled at me until he realized I was hurt and came and got the bike out. I was due at the PITS because I was the Organizer and needed to give the riders meeting. Anyway I am hoping it was a string of bad luck and that it is not the beginning of the end
    Foot dragger likes this.
  8. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fresh set of eyes........Damn there it is, big as Dallas. Didn't think I would need glasses to find the pull choke. Might start a little easier with the aid of a choke on 38 degree mornings.

Now to tighten the handle bars, I noticed one side was a bit loose. Also need pins for those bolts as my bike doesn't have them.
  9. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    From what Ive seen,riding Trials is as dangerous as riding Moto-Gp,easily. I rode about 4 trials events and trophied the 1st time out,but fell off some pretty high ledges and into creeks etc at subsequent events,and was lucky to get back to my truck. Casts are as common as cups of coffee on a cold morning at those events.

Same as golf,people get killed doing that shit, but they figure if they got their white pants on and aligator shirt etc they are fine,till bingo they take a ball to the head and either die or turn into someone like Kramer for the rest of their miserable life.
    =============
    I always use a battery tender,got one why not.
    ---------------
    That crash I did in Baja,BAM! I didnt know what country I was in or what the hell. Never hit the ground that hard before.

Although hitting the Cow in Nevada was an almighty sudden launch down the road....60' of sliding and tumbling then the bike lands on me. I didnt move at all for like 10 minutes,people were wanting life flight etc..........fuck that I was fine just sprained my whole body,and smashed my little finger between cow and handlebar.

Well you gotta test ride my DR and see whats what. It seems big with the big tank but cant do with out it.
  10. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    My knees where killing me, second only to the seat. The seat allows me to shift my weight forwards and backwards for motocross type of riding.
    I think a big seat and a huge tank would keep you sitting and just might calm down the beast. Lowered pegs and raised bars would also be a huge improvement.

I ride Trials like a woman. I just go for the camping. I get scared if I get very far from civilization. I need someone to hold my hand just to walk out the door.

And your funny, Moto GP is a groomed track with places to slide off. pillows cover any dangerous obstacles. They wear fancy body armor and all that.
    We don't have no stinking pillows covering our obstacles, we ride over them in tights.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  11. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I think I paid 30.00 for a couple brackets that lowered the pegs an inch and a half,and moved them back another inch or so. HUGE improvement. Ive got some extra bar raiser things here,that also convert to KTM style bulge handlebars. I got extra bars too.

With lowered pegs and raised bars the bike has better legroom then any streetbike Ive had,I can stand comfortably and air myself out nicely.
    -------------
    Whats really smart is I have seen 62 mph on a pedal bike,drafting a tandem coming down from Lassen Park,wearing lycra shorts and a vented shirt/fingerless gloves and a helmet that weighs about 12 oz's............... My hot rod girlfriend at the time was on the back of the tandem scared out of her wits. Also did the Markleyville Death Ride twice,over 17,000' of climbing in a day with really fast downhills.
  12. Klrcharlie

Klrcharlie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Going to ride to Covelo Sunday. Will be at the Paskenta store at 6:45am will leave at 7:00. Let me know if anyone wants to go.
  13. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    7/8/19-------Big day out on DR. Headed for Oroville and up 162 to Quincy,then uphill on 70 and a right at Graeagle then another right into Gold Lakes Basin,visited Salmon Lake then turned into Packer Lake,took the first paved right and headed up a skinny steep road to Sierra Buttes Lookout,turned to dirt with creeks running actoss,etc,blocked by big snowbank so took another dirt road marked Sierra City. Coolest Sierra Nevada dirt road ever,lots of rocks and switchbacks and down and down and down,nothing but wilderness with huge vistas.

Finally ended up in Sierra City on backstreets,got on 49 and into Downieville for lunch,then down 49 to Marysville road,to Oregon Hill rd,to Laporte road,to Challenge Cut off road,to Forbestwon road,to Black Bart rd to 162 and headed back to Chico. 250 miler scenic ride with mostly corners and clean pavement,had the DR sliding once or twice. DSCF3198.JPG DSCF3201.JPG DSCF3209.JPG DSCF3212.JPG
  14. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    ..............................The road from Sierra Buttes Look Out to Sierra City is a great one,little bit steep and rocky in spots but what a cool road,nice hidden waterfall along it. Lots of bikers in Downieville. DSCF3219.JPG DSCF3215.JPG DSCF3225.JPG DSCF3227.JPG
    xXxSilveradoxXx likes this.
  15. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hop sing, IIRC from DR/Z ownership the choke is a black knob, left side of the carb. Pull to choke, push back in when ready.
    Hop-Sing likes this.
  16. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    The DR has the choke lever mounted next to the left handlebar switch,which pretty much works fine,the cable can be an issue if not lubed.
    I tried the carb mounted black knob like a DRZ has and man is it hard to get to on a DR,then I got a remote choke kit with a short cable and it mounts on frame by carb.
    That, I like. Works like a champ.

That is the least of @Hop-Sing 's issues.
  17. keepswitchn2&4wheels

keepswitchn2&4wheels n00b

Oddometer:
    From Milsap towards Feather Falls FS took a dozer down it cleaned some up. I wouldn't take a mini cooper down it. But I saw a Subaru come down it.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  18. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    That is good to hear,it had some edges falling away here and there. Technically it was closed but was fine for bikes.
  19. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:

well that sucks,,, i was looking you up to see if you wanted to sell it back to me,,, that ATK was awesome and i miss it.
  20. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Owning and riding an ATK is an acquired taste for sure.
    2 SPOT likes this.