Chico, Ca Dualsport Riders

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Bob Tosi, Jun 25, 2010.

1. XLEnduroMan

XLEnduroMan Husky Head.

Oddometer:
    His and Hers Monsters.

WP_20190728_14_43_44_Pro.jpg WP_20190728_14_44_15_Pro.jpg
    weldpro likes this.
  2. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
  3. mrgizmow

mrgizmow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You and B taking a break from dirt?. The skeleton of my XT-225 is still chained through nothing more than the wire of the rear tire. Bought a 74 Kawasaki 125. At 209 lbs, this one i should still be able to pick up for another couple of years. Is the Mendo forest open to plated bikes with spark arrestors ?

Attached Files:

4. darinm

darinm n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm laughing at your images, DR350 in the garage and 72 Suzuki I picked up post fire.

Attached Files:

5. mrgizmow

Oddometer:
    Think your DR350 engine has a higher resale value than the one in my XT225. I could not even find the crank, but it surly has to be there somewhere. Surprised to find lots of OEM parts still available. Just got done replacing left crank seal along with the one for the shifter. Your Suzuki looks like the 76 Sierra 185 that i had 5 years ago. As it was #3 in the garage and the only 2 stroke, it wasn't kept long. Hope you are doing ok. Material losses aside, lots of folks found themselves to be very lucky that Thursday.
    darinm likes this.
  6. darinm

darinm n00b

Oddometer:
    It's impressive how little of the XT225 is left. All parts except the OEM headlight :)
  7. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    A 2019 Yamaha YZ125 in race trim weighs 205 lbs,you might wanna weigh that Kawasaki for actual wt.
  8. Mike Dirt

Mike Dirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 1969 Suzuki 120TC weighed 215lbs , in street ready duel sport trim .
  9. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    You weighed it on a real scale?
    My 250 Enduro weight 225lbs on Yamaha's scales. And 285 lbs on a local certified scale.

My 06 200 KTM weighed 225 lbs. Old bikes arent the light ones.
  10. darinm

darinm n00b

Oddometer:
    Coming from the mountain bike world into motorcycles it's surprised me how steady their weight has stayed over the years. On the other hand motorcycle prices have stayed relatively reasonable, a 2020 YZ125 has an MSRP $6,699. Your average performance oriented mountain bike is going to run about the same cost, if not more these days. Of course they have more than doubled the HP per LB ratio since the 70's.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  11. mrgizmow

Oddometer:
    Referencing the weight of my Suzuki (not Kawasaki) was not to brag about my light motorcycle as to suggest that i was happy because as a 2 stroke, the motor construction is without some weight adding steel components. The brochure indicated 209, and yes, that number is more of a reflection of marketing than technology. As well i had a 1975 Suzuki TS 185 a few years ago along with my TW-200 and XT-225. The Suzuki 185 was clearly easier to pick up trail side. It was sold because i could regain my fondness for the exhaust note. I'm 70 now and weight trumps exhaust tone. Hopefully i will get another couple of seasons doing dirt. Harking back to my original question, is the Mendo West of Stoneyford/Paskenta open or are they now closing it during fire season...... Guess i could check the forest service website, but if you know a heads up would be appreciated.
  12. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Ive been in the 2 stroke game since my 1972 Hodaka Super Rat,the Rat was a light one for it's day,they were like a tinker toy bike. Engine with carb was 35lbs. I had the ultra light roadrace seat on mine from Hodaka,skinny wassel alu tank,all parts removed that werent needed for flattrack racing,heavy flywheel gone with a battery ignition,tuner made me run skinny tires for less weight and drag. ....Then it was a 200 Bultaco. Then a 74 250 Elsinore,next a 76.5 GP250 KTM,then a 420 KTM enduro,then a 495 KTM.

Some misc bikes then a long string of KTM's from a 96 300EXC and through a bunch of 200's,a 250,about 5 300's up to the 2014 300XCW that's here now. This 300 will sit and idle like a 4 stroke,starts with a touch of a button,runs smooth refuses to stall better then any 4 stroke,I swear it would run backwards before it stalls. With proper jetting about 35mpg or better.
    200 hours on a piston/rings and they still measure good but get replaced. Tubliss Trials tire on back will pretty much climb anything no questions asked. Stock suspension really,really nice for tight woods riding. Brakes I put carbon pads in to mellow them out,can still pick the back wheel up with one finger on the front brake. 6th gear will cruise 60+ mph easily.

Nothing breaks,Ive had it since new and nothing needs fixing,just simple maintenance. When I rode the old ones it was a constant taking it apart,taking parts to the welder,replacing this,replacing that,gotta keep on it or you'll never finish a race. So yeah weight hasnt changed hugely but the bike parts are a big step up......My 96 300EXC was over 250lbs full of gas,the 2014 is about 235 full of gas. It feels lighter cause its skinny and the weight is kept low. Im sure Ive got 10K in my newer 300 including settup and buy in.
  13. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Ive been riding this bike and my roadbike mostly though. Too hot for trailriding on 300. DSCF3010.JPG
  14. mrgizmow

Oddometer:
    New Gerry in Baja.jpg Here is my last 'big' adventure bike. Heading to La Paz back in 1975 (or so). A hundred and fifty pounds as shown. Nine speed, 3 internal from Sturmey Archer hub and 3 external from stripped down Reginia freewheel brazed to the Sturmey Archer driver. Heavy duty 105 gauge spokes front and rear, puncture resistant tubes beneath 26x175 tires, capped by 26x2.125 knobbies. Yup, two tires on each rim. Front hub was a modified Bendix red band rear hub. This was chosen because both right and left shell bearing races were the same. With that feature, i was able to combo Bendix parts to get two bearing to carry the load per side, as i installed a brake shoe expander on each side of the hub. No brake shoes were needed, but this part was designed for a bearing against the hub shell, and then a bearing to carry the shell on the axle. Given the symmetry these part could be used on both sides, thus the redundant bearing surfaces. Spent a number of years working as a bicycle mechanic in Chico in the 1970's.
  15. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dudes, those bikes are really cool. I like a modern bike, But this year I too am riding/ competing on a 1974 Yamaha.
    It is the most fun I have had lately, Well, kinda of. Anyway my old TY 175 is a kick in the pants. Don't need a button to start it, the tiniest kick brings it to life.
    As an older gentleman with less need for speed I find operating it to be more subtle and conducive for my motorcycle affliction.

With that being said, Last weekend I showed up at a two day Trial event. Saturday I rode my old Yamaha in a regular Trials Event.
    On Sunday they where having different type of "Trials Event".
    At this event we were sent out at timed intervals and speed counted as well as how you did in the sections. Well there is a reason I don't "Race".
    After being in line and watching my competitors race off I was pretty amped when they dropped the flag for me.
    I lost my mind, I needed to follow arrows out through the Redwoods. I needed to go fast, I like to win.
    The older gentleman found himself sliding lowside into the corners to pass. jumping ledges, whatever it took, leaving the throttle pinned.
    Did I say I like to win.
    Well I followed the arrows without fault. Got passed by only one rider. Who was also the land owner and the guy that set the course. He was riding a class above me so that didn't affect my position. I tried to pace him but he was way fast. But my old Yamaha gave me a major rush and had me feeling like a motocross superstar.

Both of your bikes would qualify for our Trail Bike class at our local Events. You would ride the 3 line which is doable even by older Gentleman that just want to take it easy and not wreck themselves or their bikes.
  16. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know if people are not riding or just not posting.
    I have been busy this year riding Trials, But try to sneak in a ride once in awhile.
    I rode Bully Schoop the other day and it was open.
    However I cannot recommend doing it right now especially if your on a big bike.
    There are some ruts and it is not a complete bust, but There are some bad spots that a GS would need an Advanced rider.
    The main problem I would discourage people from doing it is because of the logging that is going on right now. There are landings right on the road that I had to have the loggers move there heavy equipment just to get by. I had to do a couple miles of road that they where skidding logs on. There was 8 inches of powder dust with hidden branches that a pickup would not want to go through.
    Got in some hiking up there. It is really a neat place. And would probably not be a bad in and out from the North side. Just not making it through to the Platina, Ditch grade road.
    If you are on a smaller bike the gate is open right now clear to the lookout. it is unman'ed right now. I was hopping for some water and thought when the gate was open I could quench my thirst. I had been hiking over on Shasta Bally before I got to the lookout. So if you go out there bring some water so you can stay awhile. It would make a great spot to send the night. IMG_0235.JPG
    Pictures are looking East over Shasta Bally with Redding hiding behind. the one with the Lookout is looking West towards the coastal range. You can also see the Trinity alps And clear down the valley floor. 360 degrees of the finest ground on earth IMG_0233.JPG
    Foot dragger likes this.
  17. darinm

darinm n00b

Oddometer:
    Hop-Sing I think we love the same areas based off one of your earlier rides this year. I grew up in Scott Valley but spent quite a few years living in southern siskiyou county. Still get up there when I can. This one turned into quite a bushwhack.
    Saw work being done on the lower section of the 4 Trees road last week, but no idea what the story behind that is. IMG_20190720_162616_202.jpg
  18. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    That Yamaha looks awesome. Looks real complete.
    I live in Red Bluff and do not travel over a couple hundred miles the way the crow flies from home.
    There is just no need. So much riding to be done in these parts.
    CrazyCooter likes this.
  19. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter --Crazy MoFo-- Supporter

Oddometer:
    That kinda looks like Mears Ridge.
  20. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Wow that's quite the bike,and quite the way to travel. Adventure indeed. I used to go to Pullin's Cycle in Chico when Mr Pullins had it. He was an old guy then but would have buckets and boxes of used bike parts he would sell cheap to us kids. We were serious Schwinn racers and broke frames and wheels/handlebars etc all the time,working on New Departure hubs happened alot. IMG_9316.JPG IMG_9308.JPG 1970 and on through mid 70's and eventually got a new specialized Rockhopper mt bike from Steve who still owns Pullins Cycle now.