Chico, Ca Dualsport Riders

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Bob Tosi, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    As a kid,my dad let me ride his new 1972 Yamaha Enduro enough to where I nearly killed it,then traded it for a 1939 GMC 3/4 ton flatbed truck. Same year bike as yours.

As far as 4 Trees Rd,was there road work type work going on,or something else?
    The guy who lives at the bottom has the gate up and claimed the whole road as his.
    Its been a problem for all.
  2. darinm

darinm n00b

Oddometer:
    Looked like road work but hard to say if they were just grading the bottom hundred yards and using it for staging equipment for shoulder repairs on highway 70.

It is real shame about said land owner, Forest service has tried working with him to no avail.

They are surprisingly tough little bikes, though I'd probably trade it for a 1939 truck too ;)

Re Mears Ridge, it's the old Flume Ridge Jeep trail which is on some older maps. Top half is nice if accessed from Twin Lakes area but the bottom half is hellishly overgrown by brush.
    CrazyCooter likes this.
  3. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter --Crazy MoFo-- Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep Flume, recognized the spot......Mears is the next ridge to the south. Used to Jeep that way to Tamarack back in the day before the slide closed it. We tried to ride it to the slide some years back, but the brush was horribly overgrown. Been a while as the area is just too crowded for me anymore.
    darinm likes this.
  4. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    4 Trees rd was built at public cost long ago,said to be in the 20's. But proper legal thruway is something they didnt bother with.

The guy with the gate inherited the property and closed the road immediately.
  5. CrazyCooter

Oddometer:
    This type of behavior seems to be popular in that area?
  6. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    All across the country it's popular.
    People move in and right away they dont want people around,and will do anything to make it that way.
    Rather it's legal or not they will do what ever they can get away with. If you ride through Pulga across 70 from 4 Trees you will see so many No Trespassing/
    Keep out signs you will think the road is private and closed. But its a legal county road.

Even the road that takes a right and goes through Pulga towards the river is legal county road.
    30' wide public easement so parking along it is no problem. Except the owner of Pulga declared war on anyone who tries to use their public property.

4 Trees is ridable from the top down,until you hit the gate at bottom which at times may be open,and the gate keeper may come out and open it.
    But its turning into an overgrown trail the last I saw.
    PG&E and Fire both want use of it,but they dont keep track of this as far as I know.
    CrazyCooter likes this.
  7. mrgizmow

mrgizmow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup, that is where my rig was born. Worked for mr. Pullins for a number of years and then his Son in law. The world is a small place, while changing from long pants to shorts on the side of the road during my Baja adventure, a car pulled up and asking me for information about the distance to the next town. For some reason they thought i was a local, so they were trying out their Spanish. All i knew was 'No entiendo' (i don't understand). It was a bit awkward, but we soon realized English was our language of choice. Oddly, these folks were from Chico, and were living in one of J.V. Pullins rentals. Small world.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  8. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Mr Pullins senior was always good about letting us dig through boxes of New Departure hubs and parts,that was what we ran once we went to 26" wheel Schwinns,used the sprockets and chain with every other tooth missing, He always had what ever we needed to keep bikes going.

Then I was racing Hodaka's out of Larry Powell's shop on Cherry st in Chico,he was well known for building very fast Hodaka's. He was in his late 70's when I was about 14/15 getting started racing. Early 70's. Larry built his own dyno to test the bikes on. A bunch of us raced at Cycleland on 100's,and were also still racing the polished cement tracks on bicycles.
    Cement tracks were pretty sketchy,I never broke bones but others did.
  9. mrgizmow

Oddometer:
    Boy did i so covet a Hodaka. When i started out, it was the Ace 90. My Dad said it looked to dangerous so his choice for me was the Honda 90, the early style with the push-rod engine and leading link fork. Pretty much an upsized Honda 50. The machine was capable enough to get me from Walnut Creek out to the Hayward "hill climbs". Back then, your Greeves was the machine that got lots of attention. Boy the smell of combusted Castrol oil still remains imprinted on my brain.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  10. CrazyCooter

Oddometer:
    I also had a few Hodaka's as a kid. My first bike was a clapped out Ace 90 that was stripped down for dirt use and later I acquired another Ace 90 and Ace 100.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  11. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I went from riding a knee action front fork Trail-90 to being out on Cycleland Shorttrack on a Hodaka Super Rat. In the space of a week of having the Rat I was racing. I had no clue and it was ugly for awhile. We always ran the Blendzall Gold Label.

The 68 Greeves 360 Ive got is a little before my time, 37844446_2008380252527804_2881190591893340160_n.jpg 37875426_2008382459194250_1559235035830157312_n.jpg it was THE bike for so cal desert racing and other types of racing for some years,its the neatest looking bike Ive got by a ways.
    mrgizmow and CrazyCooter like this.
  12. ChicoProf

ChicoProf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is anyone going to the "YOYO" rally in Quincy this weekend? It looks like they canceled the Beemer Bash, and have a group campout instead. I had thought about a day ride tomorrow, checking out the campground, but I think I'll just buzz by Almanor, either by going up and down some variation of 36, 32, &/or 70/89.
  13. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last weekend was fun. Went to an AHRMA National. My main squeeze broke before I got started. But I brought a back up I had just acquired. It was bone stock with no mods done, It had a bald tire. I had thrown on a smaller counter shaft sprocket and had less then an hour of riding time on it. Had 18 people in my class including some real good riders I have been battling with all year. But that was on my bike set up for my liking. It didn't stop me from pulling a win out of the bag. I am so happy with my new spare. Here it is in action.

Bushy Ranch 2019 Drop.jpg

I had a 1 point loop on the 3rd. and this is where it happen. super tricky little up that had a couple steps that where just the wrong distance apart that made it real hard to clean.

Bushy Ranch 2019.jpg
  14. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    O.K. you Hodaka lovers. Here is Todd riding his this past weekend. This bike is sweet, And he rides it well.

Hodaka.jpg
  15. mrgizmow

Oddometer:
    Looks to be lots of mods on the Hodaka, likely a rear swingarm extension. Seems to be running a expansion chamber and a small silencer. Would like to find something (silencer) like that to add to my 125 Suzuki's stock muffler. When riding the logging roads, hearing the birds is nice, but the stock blat, blat, blat still seems to get in the way. If you are in contact with the fellow, would appreciate you asking, i suspect old school and after-market. Seems lots of folks like that rear tire. Just put it on my XT-225, great traction but fat and tall. Tight fit on the Yamaha. Enjoyed the pictures.
    Hop-Sing likes this.
  16. Rockgarden Bob

Rockgarden Bob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DSCN0026.JPG DSCN0029.JPG

Had to reply about the Picture and comments about Mears Ridge. One of the most beautiful veiws you'll ever see! and Hellishly overgrown is an understatment.
  17. darinm

darinm n00b

Oddometer:
    Haha yes, that's where you learn one can ride a motorcycle through brush too thick to walk through because you've gone too far to turn back!
    CrazyCooter likes this.
  18. CrazyCooter

Oddometer:
    I know that spot with the log! All that work only to find out the trail is really impassable 1/4 mile down........
  19. darinm

darinm n00b

Oddometer:
    The big log wasn't there when I did it this year, although I used a skid track to drop down to a logging road, maybe before said log. Hard to say how far into the brush I was, it felt like a lifetime, was probably more like 1/2 mile of thick brush.
    CrazyCooter likes this.
  20. CrazyCooter

Oddometer:
    I think the log was on a potential trail to the south trying to go around, but no go..... That was the worse brush I have ever experienced. Tried to rip off my radiator scoops!
    darinm likes this.