1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Chico, Ca Dualsport Riders

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Bob Tosi, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    3 of us rode a BMW ride a few years ago,they ran us through Military Pass and they had to round up trailers and trucks to go in and get the BMW's out of the sand.
    A bunch of the big GS's got hauled out after a crash fest ensued. We rode road 19 that runs to the east of Military Pass to avoid the carnage.
  2. darinm

darinm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well on the other end of the bike spectrum I snagged an XT225 and have been getting out a bit, mostly in one of the few areas that'll make Paradise/Magalia/Sterling City look pedestrian; above Cohasset. Super tempted by the trail which appears to descend to Deer Creek by Devil's Den but not going at that solo with the original, rather bald tires that came with the XT225.
    IMG_20200212_165626_427.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20200212_152551.jpg
    Chico, xXxSilveradoxXx and dlock5 like this.
  3. 8lives

8lives Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
    I recently got a XT225 too, so far it's been a great bike I've been revisiting the Chappie OHV up behind Shasta Dam.
    darinm likes this.
  4. darinm

darinm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Enjoying mine so far, did the exhaust mod and rejetted and that helped her a lot.
  5. 8lives

8lives Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
    I haven't checked the exhaust but I think many of the mods have been done to mine it's peppy and starts easily when it's cold, I've just been a renewing something's on it chain, tires, new intake manifold the old one was ok but had external cracks oh and the float bowl gasket was leaking, mine is a 2007 and looks like yours, I've put a 1000 miles on it since October, the cold wet weather slowed me down but I plan on doing some miles from now till next winter.
  6. darinm

darinm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If it's peppy and starts easily it's probably had the exhaust done, maybe snorkel popped out. Mine is an '06. I went to replace my intake too but the hex rounded out a bolt so I gave up.
  7. 8lives

8lives Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
    The snorkel is still there, hey my intake bolts where close to being stripped and we're really close to me giving up, but I heated them and then played some hillbilly impact wrench stuff, the area is snug, but I got the 2 bolts out and replaced them with some new proper, IMHO, Allen bolts from my local ACE hardware, all is well now. I'm currently looking at getting a 790 KTM but I'll keep the XT for thrashing in the woods.
    CrazyCooter likes this.
  8. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    "Above Cohassett" Um. Maybe your a local up there? I would keep my eyes open and avoid going down any roads that look sketchy.
    There are folks meth labbing up there,lots of growers with guns,there are people "homesteading" on property they dont own,people keep big dogs not on chains.

Once the road got gated as far as going through to hiway 32 they quit doing any maintenance on the main dirt road and things have gone south since then. Cops dont go up there,nobody I know goes up there unless they are brave and going straight through and down to Deer creek. That is/was a road that goes down to Deer creek, but it's turning into a trail now due to not much use and brush growing back in.
    Its kinda become a no man's land.
    Chico and darinm like this.
  9. 8lives

8lives Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
    I haven't been up there in a while but like parts of Trinity County you go in wave smile and gently ride passed people, I don't worry too much when I wander if people don't sense you as you as a threat they usually don't bother with you, with that said if you read about a missing guy on a small bike you can say "I warned you"
    darinm likes this.
  10. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you talking about Ponderosa Way, becomes Cohasset Ridge Rd? That crosses Deer Creek IIRC. I drove a truck through there from 36 to Chico last year, camped at Black Rock. No issues with people, only saw two from Peligreen Jp Trl until the dirt road ended north of Cohasset.

I guess probably there's tons of other roads off of PW but I didn't explore them.

I've never had any trouble anywhere with people when I'm on the bike.
    Chico, darinm and 8lives like this.
  11. darinm

darinm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah that area, last spring did a nice ride from Chico up to Cohasset, crossed Deer Creek and instead of making a left to Black Rock, did a right turn which follows the ridge between Deer and Mill Creeks. The ridge section is in great shape as it was just graded, you can connect that back to Hwy 32 for a nice loop. Didn't see a single person between Cohasset and Hwy 32.

Agreed it's more of a trail than a road, from Deer Creek to the ridge it was tight due to brush, even on a motorcycle. I think I read about you taking your Tacoma through that route and it made my hurt inside a little.

In general all the housing is on the left (west) side of Cohassset/Ponderosa, so keep any exploring to the right ;) Perhaps because I grew up out in western Siskiyou County I have a high tolerance for these kinds of areas. Smile and wave if you see people, but in general if there are any signs of habitation I don't even look to the side, eyes on the road.

Impressed you got those bolts out in such a tight space, I figured the cylinder would have to be pulled.
  12. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Above Cohassett proper is where its more sketchy then anyplace Ive ridden through,Campbelville used to be a town,near the cement helicopter pad. Ive gone down some of the wrong roads around there and it looks like people living in road warrior style compounds,combo junk yard made into 15' walls with barb wire. The Aple family has been the most wanted in Butte county and are Cohassett denizens,currently they are being sought for trying to run down bicyclists. Once you are through the one area along the main dirt road from Cohassett and off towards deer creek there is nobody out there to be seen. I wish the road to deer creek and black rock could be kept up like it used to be.

Beings Im from Chico I hear the stories about what goes on in Cohassett,there are a lot of people living up there who dont want to be seen,and dont want people coming up that way. Much like Concow/Berry Creek/Brush creek/outskirts of Oroville.
    Chico likes this.
  13. MeefZah

Oddometer:
  14. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    That has filled in SO much. I used to ride from Cohassett over to Payne's creek on 36 once a year or so.
    Its never been filled in with brush like that until the last handful of years. I would think 4X4 people would want to keep the road in good passable shape,its a historic road.
  15. 8lives

8lives Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
    Hey @MeefZah thanks for sharing the pictures and story.
  16. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Thanks for reading it!
    8lives likes this.
  17. LucasLeader

LucasLeader Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used to go up there all the time and never had any problems. One time I went to the helicopter pad and there were decorations hanging and a poster for the "Cohasset Jamboree." A guy walked up and I asked about the poster and he said the jamboree was happening at his place that night and invited me. I went back that evening and had a great time with live music and some interesting people. His place was off a left turn from the main road at the helipad.
    8lives likes this.
  18. XLEnduroMan

XLEnduroMan Husky Head.

Oddometer:
    I lived up there for about 15 years. I would not disagree with your observation. Sadly there are some wing nuts up there.
  19. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    From what Ive heard from people I know that live up there,it has gotten worse. Im by no means saying the majority up there are a problem.
    But there are some on the edge drugged out lunatics living out on the fringes on dead end roads,for sure. Bicyclists have become a target and anyone who knows the deal doesnt ride up that way.
    It used to be regular ride but no mas. People in cars Taking swipes at bicyclists while screaming yelling and cussing up a storm, happens pretty much anytime a person is dumb enough to ride up that way.
    One of the Aples family is under investigation for trying to take out a bike,then stopping and trying to get a fight going.

When Concow burned a fair amount of off the grid throw backs where burned out and chased out,and they had to settle elsewhere. Hence the crime spree in Chico for a while after the Campfire,and has still been worse crime here ever since.
    Some may have naturally migrated to Cohassett.
  20. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Was the party up near the helicopter pad on dirt road? I went to a great party up there,couple a bands,etc,etc.
    By chance it was the night the 2008 fires started with all the lightning. We wandered over to the helicopter pad and could see spot fires down in the canyon.