Chico, Ca Dualsport Riders

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Bob Tosi, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Ah. I know exactly where that is. I gotta try JM road now.
    lvscrvs and Mike Dirt like this.
  2. Mike Dirt

Mike Dirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m riding through there tomorrow on my way to Gerlach for a overnighter !
    CrazyCooter, Foot dragger and lvscrvs like this.
  3. Codolten33

Codolten33 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone. Just upgraded to an 07 R1200GS. I'm looking to find some good local rides to start dabbling in adventure riding...suggestions?
  4. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Camped or stayed in the cellblocks/motel?

We stayed in the cellblock nearest the railroad tracks once. Train went by every hour at least and was loud. A/C was down it was 95 degrees at midnight,open windows except the screens were broke and bugs came in.
    We duct taped the screens.
    We tried the cellblock rooms further away from tracks and they were much better. A/C worked etc.

Another time Ironman Bob and etc and me camped up by the watertank above town,that worked pretty well. There's an over flow/creek that comes out of the tank so all the cows in the hood came by to visit and hang out near us. One stood over my tent and looked in for awhile.
    Mike Dirt and CrazyCooter like this.
  5. Mike Dirt

Oddometer:
    Didn’t make the ride ,my riding buddy bailed on me and I didn’t feel like going alone.I usually camp about a mile or so out of town just past the BLM place up on a hill (photo from that spot) or over by that water tank if the winds are from the west . Never have stayed at Bruno’s motel , should have one night when I about froze out there ! Heading out tomorrow, going to Juniper Lake in Lassen , riding tw200s .
    CE2ADFFA-3ACE-4669-AE0F-18988B7BBA2D.jpeg
    CrazyCooter and Foot dragger like this.
  6. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter --Crazy MoFo-- Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love the Black Rock area! Overdue for a trip out there myself!
    Foot dragger and Mike Dirt like this.
  7. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    4 of us met this morning at the 4 corners out by Butte College. Big lightning show,2 of us turned back once we got up on Cherokee to see if their neighborhood was on fire,then the other guy needed to get home real bad,So I said See Ya! And headed up 162 to lumpkin to Laporte rd down to quincy and then taylorsville for a killer roast beef sandwich. I then took the detour up to Antelope Lake and relaxed a while there laying on a picnic table.
    The detour is WAY fun,great smooth gravel and decomposed granite sliding corners. DSCF4605.JPG DSCF4607.JPG DSCF4611.JPG DSCF4616.JPG DSCF4620.JPG DSCF4622.JPG DSCF4629.JPG DSCF4623.JPG

From there I rode through Jaynsville and high desert then onto 395 and to Susanville. Down 36 to 32 and home.It had rained most everywhere I went,the sage smelled great,the mountains were cool...............nice 350 mile day out.
    Watercat, mrgizmow, weldpro and 5 others like this.
  8. Mike Dirt

Oddometer:
  9. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Huge closures over on the West Side,fire is approaching 200,000 acres and has maybe 15% containment.
    From way north of Paskenta to south of Elk Creek and way up into mountains,looks like all the trails Ive ridden on over there since the 70's are burnt to a crisp.
    162/FH7 to Covelo goes through the middle of the fire zone,that will be a mess for awhile.
  10. oobus

oobus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From what I can tell, all of the Mendo Forest is closed at this time. Looks like I'll need to head north thru Weaverville and such to get out of this smokey mess.
  11. ChicoProf

ChicoProf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where/how have you guys had best luck selling a bike in Chico? I've had my F700gs on CL and FB Marketplace, but minimal activity. I've currently got it at the Sierra College Auto Fair, but haven't gotten any hits. My price is currently well below KBB value. Should I wait until spring?
  12. XLEnduroMan

XLEnduroMan Husky Head.

Oddometer:
    Cycle Trader dot com would get you out on a bigger slice of the web.
    ChicoProf likes this.
  13. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Im thinking of a ride up to and around Mt Shasta,Etna,Forks of Salmon and so on.
    Not too smoky around Shasta last I saw. Maybe camp a night if it looks fairly clear.
  14. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    My 1250 Bandit took over 3 years to sell,it looked almost brand new and ran like new.
    In all that time I had 1 bite,and it sold. Streetbikes can be a tough sell.
    ChicoProf likes this.
  15. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I chatted with Sushiman the other day for awhile,hes busy but would love to get out for a ride.
  16. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Link to ad?

My tricks are: super thorough description, funny narrative, great and recent pics, willingness to deliver, price lower than all others of same model.

Funny narrative I think is actually super important. People instinctively like and trust someone who makes them laugh.

Last few bikes I've listed have sold in A DAY. 2 with CL, 1 here on ADV. All 3 the buyers were 300ish miles away and wanted delivery, which I provided.

It can be a bad time to sell though... Covid, natural disasters, unemployment...a month ago even the unemployed had money coming in. They don't now.
    ChicoProf likes this.
  17. ChicoProf

ChicoProf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think we are allowed to link a CL ad, but it can easily be found on Chico CL but searching for F700gs... only one for sale in town, and it's my 2014 red with a number of farkles.

I hadn't considered making it funny. I'll give some consideration to reworking the ad that way.

Thanks, guys.
  18. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe also strip it down and sell the farkles separately, and lower the price accordingly. A lot of guys buy motorcycles on price. What do they care about what bike it is, it's going to sit in their garage for the next decade acting as a shelf anyway. You have to find the right enthusiast who's going to want exactly the bike you are selling if it is all farkled up and the price reflects that, and Chico is a small market.

It doesn't have to be over the top guffaw inducing... just a few chuckles. I find references to a nagging wife, mid life crises, the tax man, Nigerian prince scams, and the like generally are endearing.

Kind of like if you are talking to a guy and he's all serious and matter of fact and you think: this guy has a stick up his ass; then you talk to a different guy and he's light and easygoing and makes you chuckle, you just instinctively like that guy and want to buy his motorcycle!

As Jon Lovitz the Master Thespian observed on SNL:

[​IMG]
    ChicoProf likes this.
  19. Chico

Chico Thief and Saboteur

Oddometer:
    It might be worthwhile to post in multiple Craigslist locations, especially the cities like Reno, San Francisco, Portland, etc. The f700gs would be a great Bay Area commuter but of course, no one is buying for their commute right now so that's a big chunk of typical buyers that are not in the market.
    ChicoProf likes this.
  20. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Ozzie's tried to sell my R1150R on consignment for 6 months or so. They probably still do that.