1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Chico, Ca Dualsport Riders

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Bob Tosi, Jun 25, 2010.

1. ChicoProf

ChicoProf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Again, thanks for all the input. I had planned to call Ozzie's today. I've also got a "bargain-hunter" who has made me a low offer ($700 less than I'm currently asking) that I am considering. The people who have looked at the bike all want the farkles I have in place, but I do wonder if I should strip them off, and see if I can get that low price, and resell the extras. Or just go with the easy sell, and try not to think about the money.
  2. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Strip the farks, sell them seperate, split the diff with prospective buyer at $350 less than asking. Bam.
    Foot dragger and ChicoProf like this.
  3. XLEnduroMan

XLEnduroMan Husky Head.

Oddometer:
    $700 off of $6k is a pretty big slice, but that leaves you more then $5k. I don't like dealing with any more tire kickers and wing nuts then I have to. I am an easy sell kind of guy, posting things on CL at a fair price that I figure would move quickly.
    ChicoProf and CrazyCooter like this.
  4. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter --Crazy MoFo-- Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed! I always take into account what my time and mental state is worth.....
  5. ChicoProf

Oddometer:
    I'm leaning towards the easy sale... got one more guy coming out to look at noon today, and will decide after I see him.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  6. Hookalatch

Hookalatch Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer:
    A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.
  7. CrazyCooter

Oddometer:
    Little loop this afternoon before it gets real hot this weekend. Ptetty smokey up near Platina.

Poor ADV sign looking pretty haggard.

Attached Files:

Klrcharlie and Hookalatch like this.
  8. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I did take all the farkles off my 1250 Bandit,and some took a while to sell.
    But I knew for sure low balling would be the order of the day and it was. 1250 Bandits even in perfect shape are getting to be worth about 2200 now.
    IF you can sell them at all. I sell things for a living so I just let the farkles sit till they sold.
    It seems odd,a 1250 can run 100,000 miles easy,big smooth engine,never needs valve adj or anything else. Can be a touring bike or a hot rod.
    But they aint worth much today. Your probably doing the right thing selling as is,much easier.
  9. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    In the long run,farkles dont bring extra money. Not that Ive seen.
    Buyers will say things like "I dont really want those extras but I'll take em". Or they wont even know what they are.
    BMW buyer might more intelligent than some other buyers.
  10. CrazyCooter

Oddometer:
    I think it's this mentality that makes that keeps people from paying for the extras. When they play that card with me, I just tell them to kick rocks, this isn't your bike....... There always a cheaper bike that's out of the box stock somewhere for them.

I personally by machines either cheap and unmolested or priced right and modified properly knowing what it costs to purchase all the parts.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  11. ChicoProf

Oddometer:
    I keep getting the opposite. They offer a low price, but if I say, sure without the bags, etc.... they say they want all that. It’s not costing me anything to keep it right now, so I’m waiting to see if the right buyer is out there.
    Foot dragger and CrazyCooter like this.
  12. CrazyCooter

Oddometer:
    Confirmation the extras have value!

I know up here in Redding the CL bike listings are HUGE right now,,,,tons of new listings every day and a lot of stuff that's been on there for months. It's also flooded with Harleys and I'm selling my Ultra right now. I offered it to a childhood friend for at least $1K less than I thought I could get by selling to the public knowing I would be eliminating kicker aggravation factor.
    ChicoProf likes this.
  13. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Last time I checked,there were about 40 Harley's for sale on local CL.
    Just the right buyer looking for just the right bike would be the thing.
    CrazyCooter likes this.
  14. CrazyCooter

Oddometer:
    The Harley leaves this coming Saturday! My buddy bought it....Easy Peasy!
    MeefZah, Foot dragger and ChicoProf like this.
  15. ChicoProf

Oddometer:
    You're sure he wouldn't rather have an F700... lol.

Good for you! I have a couple friends interested in mine, but timing and resources aren't right.
  16. CrazyCooter

Oddometer:
    If I could justify 4 dirt bikes in the garage, your would bridge the gap between the 701 and the 1290.

Isn't that the way it always goes? If I had a dollar for every time a friend bugged me about selling him something only to never have the money when I finally said "Ok" let's do it!

I was expecting the same thing to happen this time, but he found a buyer for his bike quickly.
    ChicoProf likes this.
  17. mrgizmow

mrgizmow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This may be a bit on the fringe for many of you, but these are 'desperate' times. For some, when you plant your ass in the saddle, you are not only the pilot, you are as well, the power. Back in 1973 i was pedalling back to Boston, Massachusetts. At some point, made a left turn and ended up on the Trans Canadian hwy. The further East i got, the more i was asked if my adventure had me crossing paths with a fellow pedalling a unicycle. Our paths never crossed until just a couple of weeks ago. Stumbled across the adventures of young Mr. Pratt who eventually 'introduced' me to now older (like me) Wally Watts. Life's adventures take many forms.
  18. Surcease

Surcease Fng

Oddometer:
    Wow! reading a dozen or so pages back and seeing some familiar faces is cool!
    I worked at Chico bicycle with Hollis before the fire in his store. Heck minimum wage was $4.25. Good to see he's still around, Haven't seen him in years.

That guy used to put on a hell of a moto event called the muds n suds too.
  19. ChicoProf

Oddometer:
    With the improved air quality, I got out the new-to-me bike out for nice loop yesterday, leaving Chico and going up Centerville Rd, Magalia, Stirling City, Butte Meadows, then back to Chico on 32. Perfect temps, and almost no traffic. But I was remembering a ride a few years ago led by "Rockgarden Bob(?)" that started that same way, then added some other dirt roads on the way to Butte Meadows... nothing technical, but mellow fun. I'm just not sure how to find any of them now. Anyone have any tips on some good forest roads up that way?
    McLaughc likes this.
  20. mrgizmow

mrgizmow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It has been awhile. A Lassen National forest map as well as Modoc (i believe) really helped me. Of course now GPS is the tool of choice. Google Earth is a good research tool. Ellis Engineering in Chico carried the maps, but then, that was many years ago.
    ChicoProf likes this.